Hardest thing for you to believe about keto woe?

I know a lot of people have a hard time believing you should eat so much fat. Never a problem for me.

My hardest thing to believe is that beans aren’t “good for you”

I grew up with that mantra. I still think that if you aren’t in ketosis that beans would make an excellent food choice. Protein, fiber, relatively low glycemic index. Man they just seem like good food and maybe about 17 net carbs/100 grams…

Sigh, the real problem is that I love them and don’t know how to eat a small amount.

What is hardest, NOT TO DO, but to believe about keto?

(Becky) #2

@Fracmeister
I am with you on the beans, I absolutely love them and I get to craving them something fierce! O grew up with butter beans, black eyes or red beans at every meal!! I miss them, but like you, I can’t control my portion size.
Also tortilla chips are something I miss as well! But it’s obvious why I can’t have those :roll_eyes:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #3

Mine is fruit. I do understand why, but it’s hard to believe that fruit can be considered “bad for you” considering the old mantra “an apple a day” :woman_shrugging:t4:

(Liz) #4

Biscuits or cookies to a lot of people! Used to be one of my many downfalls, the crunchy sweetness etc! Have tried keto recipes but they don’t do it for me and now I am finding that I don’t crave the sweet ones anymore. Would sometimes love a crunchy carb loaded cracker with my blue cheese but not going to do it!
Still one of the hardest things for me about keto is the people who comment on how much weight I’ve lost etc but simply don’t accept that it can be eating all the lovely keto foods! :joy::joy::joy:

('Jackie P') #5

I used to love baked beans on multigrain toast with butter and cheese! I always felt guilty about the butter and cheese! How things change!

(PJ) #6

In one of my experiment cycles, I ate beans. The problem I had was that first off, I could not seem to eat a ‘tiny’ amount (well I could but didn’t want to and sometimes overdid it) and while they were a great add to my meat stews, I didn’t lose any weight at all while eating them. I had to sadly give them up. I had thought maybe their “slow-carb” status would make pulling outside of keto (about 60ecc/d) still work but… apparently not.

(PJ) #7

I just realized that funky icon next to my name today is a birthday candle on lowcarb pizza… or something. :rofl:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8

Whole grain. I can see and feel that keto is good for me. And I can rationalize that untampered by human intervention grain + unbroken human metoabolism = healthy, but that doesn’t mean grain is good for me with a bad nutruitional background and an overly interventionalist agricultural environment.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

This is embarrassing to admit and I’m hoping that it’s a common enough experience that I won’t be outing myself too much by the admission. I went keto at the age of 71 starting with a 4 day water fast. One of the first good things that happened to me was my chronic flatulence went away. To that day, I can not remember any time during my entire previous life when I wasn’t painfully full of gas - constantly, relentlessly, all day long, day after day. To the point where I frequently and seriously considered plunging a knife into my belly to let it out.

Keto stopped feeding sugar to my intestinal yeast/bacteria to ferment into a variety of gases and eventually starved them to death. Hooray, halleluja! Free at last!

It’s either your birthday today, or it’s your anniversary of joining the forums.

(PJ) #11

Oh I see. It’s my birthday, I’m 54. :slight_smile:

Happy Birthday!! :tada::confetti_ball::gift:

(Susan) #13

Happy Birthday, I saw it last night and said Happy Birthday on your Accountability thread =).

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #14

Happy birthday :gift:

(Marianne) #15

For me, it is that we can eat so much rich and delicious food - all the things we weren’t supposed to eat while conventionally dieting - not count calories, and still lose weight. Oh, and without exercise - plus, it is restorative to the body!