Hard time hitting macros

newbies
recipe

(Anita) #1

Having such a hard time hitting my macros! I now understand why i haven’t been loosing weight past couple of weeks. Just today by inputting all my food i hit everything on point, but man its hard! Yall leave your yummy food recipes for me to try!!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Macros are basically a target. It’s kind of complex. Carbs are a limit, not a target. The lower the better generally. Protein is a target and I personally feel a minimum target in that it’s okay to go over. You probably don’t need to eat all of your fat macro depending on if you have adequate body fat to burn or if you’re already close to your goal weight. We usually recommend fat to satiety. This is tricky at first figuring out what you need. Also meal timing and quantities of food are important. Your goal is keeping insulin low as much of the day as possible. That’s done mostly through carbohydrate limiting but also keeping your meals big enough that you don’t need snacks in between. It’s not so hard really. The most common route is simply limiting carbs and eating proteins and fats until you’re satisfied. You hormones will begin to tell you enough is enough once you get off the carb train that causes eating when blood glucose drops and you get the urge for more carb foods. When you’re limiting carbs it forces you into ketosis and you are accessing fat instead of craving sugars and starches.Hunger signals dull and you know when you’re truly needing to eat because you can only burn a certain amount of body fat daily and you’ll know it’s really hunger calling and not sugar. Try this easy plan and forget about stressing over macros. Just eat what feels right and you’ll be fine! Good luck Anita. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

YIn addition to what David said: macros are a tool not a ball and chain. Keep your carbs sub-20 grams per day and you’ll be OK. You can always fine tune protein and fat as you learn more about eating keto. There are many online resources, including lots of experienced and helpful folks on this forum. I will caution that you will also encounter many different ideas of how to put it all together. Everyone eventually becomes an n=1 trial and tends to think that what worked so well for them must work well for everyone else. So there’s lots of discussion.

Sorry, but I don’t have any yummy food recipes for you.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #4

Echoing what David and Michael said. For recipes take a look here. Good luck!

I don’t know what is yummy to you. To me, eggs and meat are always fine in some form or other. Often very simple forms. Raw, fried… Stew is more complicated but still easy and I make a bigger amount at once… I have zillion other recipes, I like cooking and baking and experimenting. But they reflect my own taste and food choices. But there are so many great blogs and this forum has food topics too. Some creativity or patience may be needed if you don’t use some of the very popular ingredients though…

I track because I am curious and it guides me a bit when I try something new but I don’t have fixed macros at all. I don’t care how much fat or protein I eat on some odd day and my normal amounts vary too. I have some very vague idea for a good day but my hunger and satiation tells me how much to eat. If I go in a wrong direction, I try to choose better, more satiating food (or less satiating if I undereat but it’s usually not my concern). If your diet suits you well and you know what items to choose, what personal little rules/guidelines to use, things should be (almost) automatically good. Even if your macros vary very much. Probably not many people have more varying fat macros than me. But of course, most people need more fixed macros. But they still shouldn’t be exact numbers to follow. We can’t even calculate exact numbers! Sometimes not even close. I eat more or less fatty meat, sometimes with skin. I just vaguely guess its fat and skin content but it’s good enough for me. And my fat-loss has very little to do with tracking. I could just stop and lose (or not) the same… Carbs are important so many people on keto counts only carbs. But many don’t need even that as they know they are low enough.
Of course, you need enough protein and energy too but many of us automatically eat enough already.
I don’t have any limits or targets for now, my actual diet and food choices do all the work so my macros can’t be really wrong. If you don’t have that (yet), just be a bit more relaxed… Change something if your macros are clearly not okay but don’t worry about a few grams. And listen to your body if it’s reliable and don’t give it food with macros it clearly doesn’t like, whatever a calculator said. If you are a beginner, just keep your carbs low, get used to keto and don’t even worry about calories.

It’s not always simple, sometimes just some keto diet we chose isn’t enough and we need to figure out what works for us specifically.

Oh and not losing for some weeks means nothing. Even if you lose fat just fine every day, your weight change isn’t necessarily linear and predictable. Mostly due to water but there are other things too.

(Bunny) #6

I love this quote by the Mayo Clinic, when I really think about it on a much deeper level it makes more sense to me than any one-liner I have ever observed:

”…When the calories you burn equal the calories you eat, you reach a plateau. …” - Mayo Clinic

Then factor in how many calories are in body tissue itself, into the macro, would love to see a macro calculator do that?

• 1,400* calories in skeletal muscle glycogen storage.

• 300* calories in liver glycogen storage.

• 3,500* calories in 1 pound of body fat.

*calorie numbers are not exact but close to actual (actuarial gen. populous). - + Males and Females may differ by 100 calories for Skeletal muscle.

It can be amazing seeing what you’re actually eating vs what you thought you were.