Halloween candy

(Marianne) #1

Last night for really the first time in three and a half years, I found myself very tempted by the leftover Halloween candy. It smelled intoxicating and a little part of me wondered what the harm would be in having “one.” I immediately knew that was my sugar addiction talking and that it was absolute madness to ever think I could confine candy to just one piece. With complete certainty, I realized that if I had that first piece of candy, there would be no turning back. I’d use that as an opportunity to binge on all my favorite things, just this once. Sadly, my husband did get into it. I could hear him munching on it in bed and this morning I could see he ate a good share. That’s just what happens. Today, it’s going out and I don’t feel tempted whatsoever.

yea I been there on any craving thru whatever reason on how we had to ‘fight like heck’ to not go there…and you didn’t :slight_smile:

You are changin’ now to think more about the cravings and wants in front of our face ‘just ain’t worth it’ and very soon you turn even more in that ‘that candy’ will not even be ‘real food’ ya know…no diff. then when ya see it…it is like bleach cleaner for the floor or something like that LOL

You ‘smelled’ it?? Did you open a package and literally smell it or was the brain game that darn good? yea the brain game can be that good…ugh

you hit a new high for you truly. you saw the devil and ya won the battle…next is you win the long time war ya know :slight_smile:

good post M and happy you are doing so well!!!

in the end it is me, you, I, and just us personal people doing our journey and your journey is more in your power now and I love that!

(Marianne) #3

Thank you so much. I feel wonderful; I love keto. What a miracle. No question that I have a bona fide food/sugar addiction.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

You can eat all the candy you want—tomorrow, just not today. For today, avoid it. Even the worst addict in the world can go 24 hours without his or her substance/behaviour of choice.

but now you SEE it ya know and acknowledge it and you know you.
that is key in this journey, acceptance of what overpowers us but now we got that upper hand thru our time in this journey to see real truths.
You are doing just well cause you saw it, chatted thru it with yourself and had time to think on it…when new we can’t seem to do that but time changing our brains gives us just that and I know, been there MANY times and my personal chat with me, at all times, just like you had on that crap drawing you shows us real personal growth in the brain game of it all…say it all the time, more power to you! and you will gain more and more!

You did well!

It’s good we don’t have such things (trick or treating) here, not like I would have any candy anyway (I live far from even the nearby villages)… Maybe (if I lived in a more populated area) the good, fatty kind I liked in my high-carb times (and even now except they are inedibly sweet but enough black coffee helps)? But I would know I eat them then (unless I do a determined carnivore time then but why would I torture myself?)… So rather not.
Or I would fed the leftovers to my SO, he hates sugar but likes sweets so he is willing to eat sugary ones a few times a year. I would make sure there would be LITTLE leftovers. Or I would use my highest level self-control (it’s almost always zero so it’s tricky) and lock them into a motorbike top box. And give the key to my SO to hide from me, BETTER than the coffee jar when I wanna quit coffee… I always find that if I want but I actually can control myself there.
Candies are exotic as we nearly never have them. The rarest something is, the more tempting it gets for me (unless I totally dislike its taste or am VERY against it for some reason. sadly, most candies aren’t like that if it’s occasional).

Now that I am experienced, I probably would persuade myself to be a better hedonist… It’s my big goal anyway. Eating subpar items isn’t hedonistic.

You definitely didn’t meet me before my carni times. If I wanted something, I barely could wait 5 minutes… This waiting thing came later, MANY years after I went low-carb.
(It still doesn’t work with fruits all the time, of course, it’s me and fruits, after all.)

Of course, I theoretically COULD wait. I just couldn’t in practice unless I was super determined or having momentum (I don’t ruin my 8th carni day without some real need or super tempting item). Sometimes self-persuasion works too but certain items are too tempting. In the worst cases, I don’t desire the stuff and don’t get joy from it but the compulsion is there. And real compulsions are strong, I have zero chance to win.

And if we say “we can eat it tomorrow” - won’t we totally expect it the next day? We may or we may not but I surely can’t postpone things for long even now. Tempting things wear me down.
But this waiting thing is good for something:

1. I have one proper day before chaos ensues. It’s something.
  2. It works for temporal temptation that won’t come back if we send it away. Even a 30 min limit may work in some cases… But sometimes the stuff being there is wearing me down very quickly.

(Rebecca ) #7

Congratulations on defeating the Monster!! Well done!!

You’re not the only one. My partner and I took our kids out trick-or-treating, and they had such a great time. They both had two cute pumpkin-buckets for collecting their candy and of course they only have a couple pieces a day and whenever I hand the candy out, yeah, I’m tempted. When I smell chocolate, I’m tempted. But not enough to actually eat anything. It’s the smell along with the memory of its taste that lures me. But then when you actually have a taste it’s just not as good as the body remembers, and definitely not worth giving in. Sugar does weird things to us, and the addiction sits deep, so a smell, or just one tiny taste … and all bets are off. So when it comes to sugar I went cold turkey, I just won’t eat anything with sugar because that’s such a slippery slope. Someone with better will power or less sugar and carb addiction might be fine with just a taste, but not me. I prefer safer footing.

(Karen) #9

I left all the extra candy at my sister-in-law’s house. Not as tempted by candy as I am by chips. I did snag one Reeses cup which I’m holding in reserve in case I hit my goal.

(Marianne) #10

Sounds like you are just like me. There is no in-between when it comes to sugar. I think cold turkey followed by 100% abstinence is the only way to quell the addiction.

I can eat a little sugar (or much and then I surely will bounce back) but almost all the time it is such a bad deal… I don’t like the taste of sugar, I could just eat keto sweets, much better and not that inedibly sweet either.

But that’s no challenge (and more importantly I try to do carnivore and sweeteners aren’t food anyway) so I go for unsweetened “sweets” - or just eat my pork. I had an OMAD-sized meal now (in 2 hours but good enough, it’s not so easy for me to eat much without carbs) and I didn’t even want any kind of desert in the end, I was so full and satisfied. Sweet things has no chance now. (Good because my SO left some of his whipped cream and I made ice cream and it is quite nice, it has cream and yolks, after all, what not to like? But it has xylitol and I do my carni November… It is harmless but nope. If I can’t resist, I just make another but more carnivore ice cream - I mean, it still would have rum and vanilla but no sweeter. Just because I don’t want desserts, the “BEING THERE” state of something nice has some power. Not right now but give me a few days and maybe it wears me down. But I still won’t eat it. I have my ways when I am serious. I can get really creative if I must when it’s about my food.)