Halle Berry is Keto

(Laurie) #1

Halle Berry is on Live with Kelly and Ryan and when asked what she does to stay so beautiful, et cetera, she said Ketogenic diet. woot!! Of course, she didn’t get much of a chance to explain, but did manage to say lots of healthy fats, no sugar, no carbs.

I think I remember seeing ages ago that she was diabetic.

In some ways a diabetes diagnosis can be really helpful - instead of schlumping along with SAD and conventional wisdom and not really making any changes because there’s no official diagnosis, you need to really do something (or face a lifetime of medications and failing health!). Looks like whatever she’s doing is working just fine :slight_smile:

(Gianni) #3

I have such a sugar rush for her and Mado

(Todd Allen) #4

I was curious how long Halle Berry has been following a ketogenic diet. I didn’t find a clear answer but saw almost 30 years ago she went into a coma and was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. 10 years ago she stated she had cured her diabetes with diet and exercise and was no longer on insulin which caused some controversy as type 1 diabetes has been called incurable despite there still is some fuzziness as to the causes and definition of the disease.

Some have stated that if she is off insulin then she had must have been incorrectly diagnosed and was actually a type 2 diabetic. Type 2 diabetes is described as starting with insulin resistance and may occur with or without a loss of insulin production. Type 1 is a loss of insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas for which there appear to be multiple genetic factors and a variety of environmental triggers.

I’m going to speculate that she was correctly diagnosed type 1 and that insulin resistance did not play a significant role in her development of diabetes. And that whatever caused her diabetes did not result in 100% destruction of her beta cells. In such a scenario if one retained some minimal level of insulin production restricting carbohydrates to a level manageable by that amount of insulin ought to result in a healthy disease free outcome. One might quibble over calling it a cure. If the capacity for insulin production doesn’t recover to normal over time then ones tolerance for carbohydrate would remain impaired. But having a disease who main symptoms are to keep one thin and healthy so long as you don’t overeat carbs doesn’t sound too bad.

Gotta love that logic: we’re so sure that this is not reversible then you must not have had it in the first place.

Who knows what actually happened in her particular case but your theory makes sense to me, and I think there are some folks out there who are finding that not all T1D pancreases (pancreai?) have completely irreversible damage to the beta cells and in any case many T1D folks are finding that they can significantly reduce their need for insulin with LC diets.

(Ethan) #6

Perhaps she had some other temporary disorder of the pancreas…hard to know. Also, the plural of pancreas in latin is also pancreases.

(Laurie) #7

Yes, she did mention being diabetic. More in this article.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Does the pancreas regenerate, as the liver does? If so, I suppose that the islet cells could grow back eventually, as long as the immune system doesn’t keep destroying the new ones.

BTW, it finally dawned on me: insulin is generated by the islets of Langherans in the pancreas, and the Latin for island is insula, so of course the hormone the islets secrete would be called insulin. Cool!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

The plural of pancreas is pancreates (four syllables, it’s Greek). But in English, pancreates sounds really affected, so pancreases is probably best.