Hair loss on keto?

I had a sort of a feast yesterday (ate more calories and fat than usual, if not up to 2000) and will try a fat fast for 24 hours today. Half way through already. Getting hungry…but will stick it out.

Here it occurs to me to ask, if you say you fast for 24 hours, how does that work? I mean the last time I ate it was 10 pm. Do I eat again at 10 pm tonight, or should I just go to sleep on an empty stomach and have breakfast next day?

Does it also make a difference the kind of protein I’m getting? I don’t eat red meat (I ate almost no animal protein prior to keto) and now the only protein I eat regularly is chicken and eggs and the occasional salmon and tuna and bacon.

I’m a night owl, so I usually start around midnight. I leave the option open for myself to eat after midnight the next day, but 9/10 times I hold out until the next afternoon.

Do what is most comfortable for you. If you are feeling ravenous, eat something @ 10. If you feel like you can hold off, see if you can extend it a little to get your body used to longer fasting periods a little at a time. You can always play around with your fasting start times to see what works best for you.

I’m on day 1 of a 3 day fast (possibly extending this to my first 5 day fast, playing it by ear).

Probably not, just make sure to eat enough fat from other sources to keep your hunger satiated.

I actually got too hungry I broke the fast at the 16 hour. This hunger issue is really the one thing that bothers me most, even more than the not budging scale and the falling hair (that’s still falling at a more than alarming rate. According to my scrunchie…I now have only half the hair I started keto with!) :disappointed_relieved:.

Will try again tomorrow and hopefully fast longer than 16 hours this time.

You’re welcome -

You have to examine their different listings - there are a lot of them - I got a 3 pack.

I forgot to mention that I also take a liposomal Vit. C supplement with the broth, because in biochemistry Vit. C is necessary for collagen processing. Or, if I have a half cup berries within hour of it, I don’t supplement, depends.

Sounds like you’re doing the right thing: listening to your body. Don’t worry, fasting will get easier with time.

I take a multi vitamin that includes Vitamin C. Is that enough or do I have to take a higher dose of a dedicated Vit C supplement?

I hope so. Being perpetually hungry and even more so after eating was what drove me to Keto initially. It took over three months for it to be tempered a bit, but it’s still my main issue, so it’s great to know it didn’t magically disappear for everyone with keto but me and that there’s hope yet! :open_mouth:

The funny thing is that fasting (the more I’ve done it) has been like putting the appetite suppression from keto (which takes some time) into hyperdrive, even on days I eat.

I can’t wait until I can say that, too. Hunger has been hounding me constantly for a couple of years now and struggling with it constantly drains too much of my energy.

I hope so too. That sounds really frustrating.

I dunno - google it?

Sure will. Just thought you may already know. Lazy of me. :slight_smile:

(Christine Duval) #55

That is awful and scary.

(Elian) #57

Might worth checking your DHT levels, see if that’s at the root (no pun intended) of the cause because if it is, no biotin or topical treatments can help. :smiley:

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #58

A little late to the party, but I was browsing around and came across this.

Something to keep in mind about hunger, is that it is not triggered just because you need food ( energy sources ) it is also triggered because your body needs some essential nutrient it is not getting enough of.

I know you are saying you are restricting your carbs ( eating Keto ) and supplementing with certain things, but that doesn’t mean the supplement are bio available, because that depends on what is ingested along with them.

You might check out Cronometer…

It is very useful for tracking nutrients. However, keep in mind that a lot of nutrients in a lot of vegetables are not all that bio available… Vegetables

I would suspect you are not getting some essential nutrients you need, resulting in both your hair loss and your hunger.

You might consider eating more meat, as it is more nutrient dense and complete that most vegetables.

Keep in mind that just being in ketosis is not what makes this way of eating, a healthy way of eating.