Hair loss on keto?

I’ve been on keto for almost four months now, and I didn’t lose even a pound or an inch. Even though I eat my macros, less than 20 grams of carbs net, am in ketosis based on blood ketone meter, drink ketoaide and take hair, nail and skin supplements regularly.

What I’m losing is hair. Almost a third of it fell in the last two months and what remains is frizzy, dull and brittle.

Is this normal? Will this hair fall stop and reverse eventually?

All input gratefully and eagerly awaited!

(Kevin M.) #2

Same here…there’s always a clump of hair after washing my hair.
I heard that I should try using “Biotin”, it’s an over the counter vitamin for hair loss!!..I’m gonna try it😊

Could be your thyroid. Which would also explain lack of weightloss.

(Garry (Canada)) #4

I noticed my hair thinning out during what I would now guess was months 3-5 after starting keto. It has since stopped thinning or falling out. Perhaps it’s a phase we go through… Maybe we should name it the shedding cycle.

(Karl) #5

I went through around 140lb of weight loss and my hair fell out like crazy about 2/3rds of my way down. I always attributed it to the weight loss itself, but now you’ve got me thinking it’s the change in diet that may have caused it.

Either way, it all grew back. Whatever the cause, it was temporary.

(Sophie) #6

My hairdresser recently told me, after I complained to her, that if there is a bulb on the root of the hair, it’s due to something internal, and if there is nothing, it’s due to breakage. Therefore, I can only assume that it’s due to internal since Keto. I just hope to hell it will rectify itself before I become bald!!! :roll_eyes:

It’s been really alarming, and drastic, and that’s when I am taking biotin, too! I had to resort to cutting my hair and getting hair extensions since what’s left of it can’t be styled at all.

My thryoid as per the tests I had last month is fine. Makes me even more confused why I’m not losing weight, and now losing hair.

I really hope that’s the case, cause I really want to stick with keto as my NSV (better sleep and less anxiety and hunger) are worth a lot. But the idea of going bald is very frightening. I didn’t have thick hair to start, but it’s now THIN and getting worse.

Mine began falling out 6 months in. I started taking Biotin and 3 months later its all back and normal

I guess I would have understood it and not been alarmed as much if I had lost any weight, would have thought it a side effect of the weight loss itself. But I’m serious when I say, I didn’t even lose ONE pound. I have around 15 pounds to lose, and they haven’t budged since I started. I’m barely holding on to my starting weight. But it’s very encouraging to learn that it eventually grew back for you. Here’s hoping mine will, too! :disappointed_relieved:

What exactly do you eat?

The usual. Bacon, fatty chicken, fatty fish, cruciferous veggies, eggs. Everything cooked in butter, ghee and refined coconut oil (I can’t bear the coconutty flavor in cooking) I also drink my tea with heavy whipping cream and almond milk. I sometimes eat almonds, coconut manna, hard cheese, and the very occasional keto treat like keto cheesecake or pizza or chocolate (which I make at home with erythritol). Sometimes when I don’t feel like eating any animal protein I make a salad with lettuce, spinach, celery, cilantro and sprinkle it with a few cherry tomatos, feta cheese and olives with olive oil and spices. I mostly eat fried eggs, but sometimes I’ll add a couple of mushrooms, scallions, cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese and bacon bits (usually not all together) I sometimes make a pancake batter made of nut butter, cream cheese and egg, but that’s maybe once every couple of weeks.

That’s basically what I eat. My macros according to MFP are total carbs of usually below 20, around 50 grams of protein, and around 100-120 grams of fat. I’m 5’4" and 144 pounds. It’s been very hard for me to maintain IF of 18/6 since I get too hungry, but I try to do it around 4 days a week. But even when I did so for three weeks in a row, it had no effect on the scale, or the measuring tape.

(Karl) #14

Yeah, I was pretty distressed when it happened to me. Seriously, you set out to lose weight, only to go bald in the process? At the time it felt like the self-esteem fairy got the runs and decided to crap all over me.

I kept going though… Consider this: Stress causes hair loss. If you’re stressing, that might be part of the problem (and who the hell tries to lose weight WITHOUT stressing over it?) And I recall a certain podcast around here that fairly regularly points out how cortisol affects weight loss. Not saying that’s the cause or anything, but it’s possible.

(Samantha J Ross) #15

Someone on here told me about functional medicine. They will do more tests than a conventional doctor is willing to perform. They don’t just diagnose you but figure out the cause of the diagnosis. Try to see one in your area. Sometimes they are covered by insurance. Also, I heard that thyroid levels can come back as normal even in people with Hashimoto’s. My friend has an under active thyroid. It runs in her family and her cousin currently has thyroid cancer :confused: (but she’s going to be ok!). She just got her thyroid checked about two days ago and her results were “normal.” You need to get the full panel done and check for antibodies.

Do you measure and weigh your protein?

Check out the videos about intermittent fasting on Dr. Fung’s site. They say you need to eat a lot on your “feast” days, so your metabolism won’t slow down (which will slow down weight loss and can put you on a downward course to less and less food to maintain a given weight). That’s what I try to do on my feast days. To me it’s great that eating more can actually help you lose weight in the context of intermittent fasting.

Yes, I do. As per MFP I eat around 50 grams of protein per day.

So what does constitute “eating more” on feast days? What do you tend to eat on these days? And are these with IF or EF?

I remember a podcast from their site where Megan Ramos noted that a lot of their patients eat between 2500 and 3000 calories per day on feast days and have great weight loss and blood sugar control results. Yesterday was a feast day for me. It was hard for me to get in 2000 calories, due to the appetite control I’m getting from the combination of keto and fasting. Instead of eating one meal, which is my preference, I ate 2 keto meals and ate a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil to get some extra food in without feeling stuffed. My first meal was a couple of eggs cooked in 2 tbsp. bacon fat with buffalo wing cheese (just discovered this after hearing people raving about it, and it’s amazing) and cheddar cheese and some bacon, a ThinSlim bagel with butter and a vanilla cinnamon keto shake. For dinner I had a McDonald’s triple cheeseburger bunless and a side salad with no tomatoes and homemade low carb dressing. I had a small amount of fresh raspberries for dessert. That put me right around 2100 calories. I’ve lost 7 pounds since 2/28 fasting M,W,F this week. I’ve been doing keto for a little over a year.