Hair Loss... and it’s not coming back

(Jessica) #1

I lost 50 pounds over 6 months and since then have been maintaining for over a year now. I read all about hair loss and have been waiting “patiently” for the regrowth that I have heard so much about. I seem to have lost my hair and it has not bounced back. I currently take a prenatal vitamin daily (not pregnant) and 5,000 mg of Biotin. Anything other suggestions to get my hair back?

(Allie) #2

What’s your protein intake?

I feel your pain. I also lost 50 lbs and about 50% of my hair. After 18 months both the weight and hair are still gone.

(Natasha) #4

After 120lbs weight loss, my hair has thinned considerably. I read that collagen can be helpful so have stated taking that - too early to tell if it’s effective but could be worth researching?

(Jessica) #5

I tried collagen and my face totally broke out so I stopped taking it after a few weeks. Maybe a different brand… ???

(Natasha) #6

Oh no! That doesn’t sound good. I haven’t had any problems with it, except that I decided it interfered with my fasting/TRE so don’t put it in my morning coffee anymore and then tend to forget in the afternoon… morning routines are so much easier for me!

This is the one I’ve been using: https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Intelligent-Health-Collagen-Powder/dp/B07G5H6FC2/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=collagen+powder&qid=1581716881&sprefix=colla&sr=8-8

I had thinning hair before keto and my thin spot grew into a bald spot.

I fixed my issue by following Mr. Clean’s lead and shaving my head.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

Mine grew back, took a bit, few months. I do consume a lot of bone broth. I think that is the best way to get collagen into your system. I would think Biotin would help. You might want to up your protein slightly as well.

I have very thick hair so I didn’t really mind the thinning except I had to keep my sink drains cleared out well, the hair was everywhere in the bathroom.

I hope you start seeing results soon.

(Jessica) #9

Bone broth is a great idea. Thank you! I’ll check out my protein intake too. I stopped tracking forever ago but maybe I should take a look again.

(Deborah) #10

This video is helpful!

(Kristen Ann) #11

You could try evening primrose oil. I’m taking it to help with hormonal balance (hair loss, acne, boob tenderness). It’s only been a week, but my hair has been really full and I swear it’s growing back already…

Congrats on your weightloss!

(Allie) #12

Try starflower (borage) oil instead. It’s like evening primrose on steroids, has the same benefits but much, much more effective.

(Kristen Ann) #13

interesting!

I lost A LOT of hair after the first 6 months of keto, but it’s finally growing back, about a year later. It will take about a year or so for you to notice any change in volume :frowning: Don’t forget about protein, hair and nails are the last on our body’s “build it” list - if you don’t take in enough protein, no collagen, MSM and/or other supplements will help. It will grow back, you just have to be patient, it takes a while for our bodies to figure out we’re not out to kill ‘em.

(Jessica) #15

What do you do with starflower oil? Where do you find it? I’ve never heard of it.

(Marianne) #16

I wish I had some.

I am 61 and have lost 60 lbs. I started to lose my hair about six months before starting keto (total about 1.5 years now). I would say I’ve lost at least half of my former hair volume. Been waiting for it to come back but it hasn’t - yet (I hope!). I have low thyroid and am taking levothyroxine. My hairdresser thought it was from an iron deficiency, so I now take an iron pill, vitamin C and a multivitamin. I am hopeful, but if I keep losing hair, I am going to be in sad shape soon. As it is, I have to style my hair in such a way as to make it look like I have more volume than I do. Very concerning, but I am eternally optimistic - until I can’t be anymore. Fingers crossed.

Good luck to you.

(Marianne) #17

Harder to do when you’re a woman.

:cry:

(Marianne) #18

Is that a pill or a topical?

(Bunny) #19

Probably not enough Vitamin C (chili peppers have the natural C not pills/the fake stuff) in the diet to bind the keratin with the collagen?

(Anna ) #20

I started to loose my hair a lot in my early 30’s and spent all my 30’s and 40’s with a short bob haircut, and if my hair would get just a bit longer than that, not even touching my shoulders yet, I’d have to trim it right away because it would start falling our really bad.

Now in my early 50’s I have really long hair several inches past my shoulders, it’s fuller and healthy and when I leave the shower there are just a few hairs in the drain catcher, not a whole ball of hair like I used to find.

For me it was the mineral silica or silicon supplements that seemed to help the most. I’ve tried collagen, biotin and many others that are supposed to help, but didn’t see much results. I’d imagine I’m just low on these minerals and have to supplement with them. Now I’m taking this stuff called BioSil which is great.