Hair loss after 2 years Keto?

Thanks for your comment

Well it could actually be my age, I’m 60. God knows I hate that number. I’m definitely not growing old gracefully. Nope I’m kicking, screaming like a toddler and refusing to go :joy:
I’m still hoping it’s temporary :crossed_fingers:t2:

I don’t track

This comment makes me wonder if it’s me doing OMAD has caused it. I started doing OMAD last November because I lost my appetite for the 2 meals a day I was eating. Could be the fasting I’m doing before and after my 2:00 one meal a day?

May want to start, can’t troubleshoot a problem when you can see what’s going on. Could be (probably is) nutrient deficiency, it you’re eating to satiety / only eating when hungry you could just be under eating as a whole. Both of those can result in hair loss.

(Karen) #26

I have been using lugols iodinefor some time.

(Marianne) #27

When my husband was in his teens, he had the most glorious head of straight, long hair. It was beautiful. He started losing it soon after he reached his twenties and by the time he reached thirty, he had a complete chrome dome. When I was young (and still stupid), I said I’d never date a man who was less than 6’ or bald. Well, my husband and I met when I was 39. He was 5’7" and bald, but he was confident, kind and funny, and he took great care of his body and physique. He has been the perfect man for me and puts up with a lot of my b.s. :laughing::joy::innocent: Confidence in a man outweighs height and hair/no hair.

(Karen) #28

I think a bald or shaven head can look amazimg on the right shape head. A bit like us gals we either look great with short or long hair and some of us find it very difficult to grow it passed the shoulders.

My dance partner used to go on and on about how he like women with long hair and i kept telling him my hair doesn’t grow well. Just to shut him up i decided to grow it a few years ago and sure enough as soon as it got to shoulder length it started to break mid shaft. I lasted a year and said enough was enough and got it chopped off again.

I haven’t had a visit to the hairdressers in just over a year since we ended up in lockdown etc etc. Only this time i have managed to grow it a fair length and have done things differently i went keto in May /carnivore in november and stopped shampooing in August. I made up my own essential oils and bought the hair serum. I spot use the serum but my essential oils i rub into the mid to ends of the shaft. My hair is definitely thicker than before, perhaps its the added protein in my diet? I know my nails are definitley stronger as they don’t break as often nowadays.

Don’t think i will ever have glorious long beautiful locks and will most likely chop it all off again before too long … when the hairdressers re-open. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am 63 and always had very fine thin hair throughout my life so i don’t think age is a factor.

(Laurie) #29

I wasn’t going to give my anecdote because everyone is different, but …

I had loads of big wavy hair when it wasn’t in style. I couldn’t use a comb – just a wide-toothed pick. Then, in my late 50s, when I had hair halfway down my back, I decided to brush my hair for a job interview. Bad idea. Half the hairs broke off partway, and the others stayed the same length. Terrible!

It kept breaking off and wouldn’t grow. I trimmed it every few months, but that didn’t help; it just meant I always had short hair.

I read that coconut oil would help. So every 2 days, before washing my hair, I’d put coconut oil on my head, cover it with a plastic cap, and leave it on for a couple of hours. I did this for a few years, but it didn’t help.

Also I read labels carefully and avoided all products containing silicone (anything that ends in -cone).

Then I read that coconut oil can be bad for certain kinds of hair. So I stopped using it.

Next, I read about mixing coffee with shampoo. I use about 1 Tablespoon of instant coffee per 500 ml (2 cups) of shampoo. It works! I’m 68 and my hair doesn’t look great, but at least it’s long enough to pull back into a ponytail or an updo, which are my only options for tidy looking hair.

Oh, wow! That’s what I’ve been using for years!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #31

Try mixing it up a bit. OMAD, 2MAD, IFing. See if you notice a difference.

(Karen) #32

Mine is a mix of curly wavy straight kinky hair… i certainly wasn’t blessed in the hair department. Mid shaft breakage is usally found on ethnic hair. I use an afro comb/wide toothed pick when i want to keep the curls tight but recently invested in a boar brush. Cost a lot of pennies but it works really well at distributing the natural oils through the hair. I have to go through it with the afro comb first and then i brush frim the bottom of the hair first before eventually going from the roots and right down the shaft. Bit of a faff but i don’t break half as much hair.

Yes I will give that a try. I’m also considering adding back a vegetable or two.