Hair falling out

What vits/mins could I be lacking and need to supplement? Its falling out pretty badly!

(VLC.MD) #2

Hair loss is a common issue with weight loss.
Itā€™s not permanent hair loss.
Make sure there is no scarring on your scalp.

Try Biotin. Itā€™s good for hair and nails.

(Olivia) #4

It could also come from a too high calorie deficit. Do you track calories and/or macronutrients?

(Rob) #5

Hair loss can be caused by protein deficiency or some other process is using up the available protein (e.g. large wound healing).

(Ashley Sarmany) #6

My hair is falling out as well, itā€™s slowed a bit. What Iā€™ve learned is that Iā€™m estrogen dominant (look up the symptoms to see if they match your situation). When you lose weight, your fat cells basically pop, they hold estrogen along with other toxins. When you lose weight quickly, thatā€™s a whole lot of estrogen being dumped into your system. Iā€™m currently taking collagen, biotin, multi, b vits, progesterone cream, and DIM for my hormone imbalances. Definitely ready to have my hair back.

(VLC.MD) #7

Google: weight loss alopecia.

Easy:
(1) take a multivitamin
(2) increase protein

Good idea:

• track your vitamin / mineral macros with an app. Eat more vegetables and fruit, a wider variety especially.

The hair loss associated with losing weight isnā€™t permanent.
Especially if there is no scaring on your head.

(Jenn Monaghan) #8

Could be low iron. Eat more red meat!

I doubt that would be me. I had a hysterectomy when very young, and I always thought I had more testosterone. I even declined estrogen patches at the time. I carry a lot of muscle

I do!

Mine too. Iā€™m wondering if collagen would help. Any thoughts.?

(Naomi Brewster) #12

Itā€™s called tellogen effulium and thereā€™s not a lot you can do about it as by the time you start noticing handfuls of hair falling out - about three months have gone by since the ā€˜eventā€™ happened. It happened to me and a lot of other people - basically the body responds to a lot of weight loss as a shock to the system and all the hair follicles turn off at once (instead of the staggered hair loss that is normal). Once you do notice the loss your hair is already growing back. It is temporary and nothing to worry about. http://www.aocd.org/?page=TelogenEffluviumHA

(T) #13

Yes, me too after about 6 months keto. Added biotin supplement and a daily dose of collagen to my morning coffee. I now have lots of new growth coming through, phew! But yes, it was worrying as it was happening. Iā€™m now 10 months keto. KCKO

(Bunny) #14

I think it has a lot to do with the way the liver and thyroid interact etc. with sex hormones on a low carb life style (not sure what the consensus is on that though?)ā€¦scroll down to ā€œHow I Measured Progress: Thyroid Function, Rate Of Hair Fallā€ https://perfecthairhealth.com/the-truth-about-low-carbohydrate-diets-and-hair-loss/

Bone broth fasts (collagen absorption {hair, nails and skin} and glutathione: converts through biosynthesis* to Arginine {burns fat faster too} in the body) on empty stomach might help to!

*Arginine

Glutathione

(Rachel P) #15

Totally normal response. It is just hair. Get an awesome new fancy short haircut & it will grow back before you know it. Add a multi-vitamin to your routine (if you donā€™t already take one) and drink bone broth.

Lol, my hair is very short, and I take Potassium, D3, B12, B Complex, Biotin, ACV, Chromium, eat spinach, avocado, broccoli, meat, butter, MCT, HWC etc etc

Yesterday was actually the worst it has been. Washing my hair in the shower my body was covered in it, and it was in little fur balls on the shower floor! Its not just falling out, it is also breaking off at different lengths. My nails have gone to crap too!

(Kylea) #17

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been led to believe also. ā€˜Eat more fatā€™ Ive only been doing Keto for 3 months (having been low carb for many years) so am still my own experiment, but my skin & nails are better than theyā€™ve ever been & ive had no hair loss at all.

(Clara Teixeira) #18

Try adding liver to your diet or taking encapsulated liver pills. Organ meat is pretty important! Our bodies absorb the vitamins better from organ meats than from synthetic vitamins. Synthetic vitamins always made me very sick to the stomach but I can take encapsulated organs with no problems. I easily lost half my hair going keto but it is growing in thicker than before with no visible greys.

(Naomi Brewster) #19

Iā€™m about 2-3 month post having a ā€˜hair falling outā€™ event and my hair is growing back quite thickly it is now about three inches long at regrowth point - hereā€™s a photo - it isnā€™t quite clear but hopefully it will reassure anyone in the midst of pulling handfuls of hair out that it is temporary.

Unfortunately I do have tonnes of grey/white but I had that before keto :slight_smile:

My go to answer, not necessarily always the right answer, for problems on keto is howā€™s your salt? Along with other suggestions, make sure youā€™re getting the recommended daily supplementation of salt. 5000mg according to Dr Phinney.