Had some sugar last night -Feeling really sick today

(Jennibc) #1

Last night I attended a work event with my husband at one of those Brazilian Steakhouses. They had dessert and I figured, I so rarely have it, it wouldn’t be an issue to have a few bites (well, it turned into several). Anyhow, it’s not the first time I’ve had sugar since I decided to give it up last March. This was probably the fourth time. By the time I got back from our half an hour drive from the restaurant, I had to throw up. I felt violently ill. Today I am also feeling like crap. I am trying to figure out if I sugar could have done this or if I might be suffering some food poisoning from something else I ate last night. Other than dessert, I kept on my eating plan both at the salad bar and when they were bringing meat around. Have any of you had this kind of physical reaction when you have strayed from eating on plan? Thanks!

(Marius the butter craving dude) #2

The gut may not handle sugar to well anymore. It may have also interfered with the digestion of the meat.
When I slip I go to the gym as fast as I can and attempt to burn as much as I can with cardio.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

Also, norovirus is going around.

(Jennibc) #4

Thanks, feeling better tonight. I actually think I might have overdone it on the ‘lite salt’ I apparently misread and thought I was supposed to be having two teaspoons a day! Drinking plenty of water tonight to get me back to feeling normal.

(Laurie) #5

Maybe the sugar. Since starting keto in July, I’ve gradually found that many plant-based foods don’t agree with me. Even before that, I could feel the effects of dairy and wheat. Not necessarily that those foods are bad (hmph), but we’re not used to them any more.

(Jennibc) #6

I’ve been mostly off wheat for 8 and a half years. Grain really affects my moods so I stay away.

(Carl Keller) #7

I’ve read posts by at least a half dozen people in the past few months who had similar reactions to eating sugary things after having been off them for a while. It’s stories like this that I remind myself of when I see something that looks tempting.

I had some baked ham at a friends house last week and it had a glaze on the outside that I scraped off as best I could. I could still taste the sweetness when I ate it. It reminded me of the sweetener in diet soda and didn’t seem to taste very good. Not sure if it’s my taste buds having evolved or what… but an hour later my stomach was complaining. A symphony of grumbles and slight bit of discomfort stayed with me a few more hours and then it was over.