'Gross' keto drinks loved by celebs may curb diabetes scientists say

(SleepyMotherOf3 🇬🇧) #1

I love how they try so hard to make it sound soooo difficult!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

Have seen many people eat a lot of sardines to improve overall health. Chef Rick Bayless and Alton Brown are two folks I have seen using this from a long way back. Both work in food industry and are in better shape than I.

That Ms. Goop is in on this, along with Kim Karcrashian… I’d be skeptical if I weren’t LCHF before they were.

(Stan Brooks) #3

I mean that does sound gross.

(Candy Lind) #4

I about spit out my butter coffee when I read this:

“The researchers are working on creating supplements that provide the benefits of the ketogenic diet without the hassle of adhering to it.”

If only they could see our “What did you keto today?” topic - who needs a fucking sardine shake? I’ll have my sardines, along with some salmon, on top of a nice big green salad full of olives, celery, flaxseeds, and just a smidge of tomatoes, and doing the backstroke in full-fat dressing.

(Stan Brooks) #5

Speaking of which I bought some sardines from Trader Joes the other day. Never tried them before.

Any suggestions on trying them?

(Candy Lind) #6

I haven’t had any in a long time, but previously I had to “be in the mood” for them and I preferred the ones in tomato sauce (which obviously would add carbs), so I plan to mix them in a salad, as I stated above. If I don’t especially love them, there will be enough other stuff to lower the flavor profile and I’ll still get the nutrition. Lots of people love to just eat them straight out of the can. One thing that puts some people off (I raise my hand) is the bones and skin. I prefer to buy the boneless/skinless ones. You’d get more fat with the skin on, but not a significant difference. Open a can, grab a fork and give them a try! :smiley:

(Stan Brooks) #7

That’s the plan. Me and the kids are going to try something new.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

I mix a seafood salad with a can of sardines and a can of tuna, make it just like your fav tuna salad except you have added Omega 3 and a calcium boost.

You can eat them with mustard on keto crackers or bread or a large leaf of lettuce or plain as I have been known to do, smear mustard on one and down it quickly.

If you ever get the chance to eat fresh ones, have them grilled, they need nothing else.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Can I come over and join you???

I think there’s a thread on here with this exact question about sardines, and lots of folks wrote in with their favorite sardine recipes. They’re such a great food! portable, nutritious, inexpensive, and they lend themselves to lots of variations. Have fun!

(Stan Brooks) #11

Thanks! If I like them I will seek that out.

Never been big on seafood and trying to vary the diet up a little and get more options.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #12

How do anchovies compare to sardines?
Because I love anchovies.
Sardines, it depends.

(Brian) #13

It puzzles me why they are so hell bend on making some kind of pill or powder to do what just eating real food does just fine.

It’s not hard to eat this way. I don’t consume sardine shakes. If I want sardines, there are other ways I’d rather have them. I don’t consume kale shakes either. If I want kale, there are other ways I like it better than in a shake.

It seems like people pick the weirdest and most horrible example they can find of eating keto and harp on that to the nth degree. Hey, a lot of the stuff we eat could be on menus in very good restaurants. (Maybe it is, I don’t often go out to very good restaurants.)

(Stan Brooks) #14

Follow the money…

But really if you are a company trying to make money and you don’t want to invest into the lard industry you make pill or a shake.

And I am not even being critical. People got to make money. And the public expects certain things. Like shakes and pills.

Hell to be honest I have thought that I might like to start some “non medical weight loss business” where I just teach this to rich lazy people who just want to just be told things this stuff. I think I would be a pretty good carny.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Beyond the money, Americans want a pill. Or a cream. Or a drink. A medicine that makes it all better. A magic wand. I dunno that this is uniquely American, but it is the case here.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #16

They can make money off fake food or pills.
They can’t off real food or fasting.

(Troy) #17

Celebrities ?
Always rehashing old movies , scripts, or skits

This has already been done🙄

Dan Akroyd and THE BASS-O-MATIC over 40 years ago :joy:

(Rob) #18

I have to say that typically anything coming from the ‘Daily Wail’ is scum sucking BS but staggeringly this article is almost positive (in places). There are clangers like:

‘notoriously difficult’,

'Adverse effects of the diet include impaired growth, which can be caused by a nutrient deficiency, as well as an increased risk of getting kidney stones"

and the BS about supplements in shakes… but it DOESN’T refute the ‘high fat is healthy’ message nor does it fear-monger the crap out of Keto. If this rag isn’t raging against Keto, maybe there is hope for the world :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mixed with mayo they taste like tuna, also good mixed with mustard or ketchup. I used to like them heated with olives served on sweet potato- you could ditch the sweet potato and just use the olives.