Grocery prices and my beloved Wild Salmon

(Denise) #1

My occasional splurge on Wildcaught Salmon price has doubled. It’s only in the market at certain times of the year, Alaskan Wildcaught, but I went for it anyway. I live alone, and actually get enough for 3 or 4 meals out of it. I really don’t know how families are making it though:pensive:

I guess this is kind of a griping post but I’m sure others are hoping things change for the better soon. I’m afraid to even shop at our actual Fish Market in the harbor because their prices have to be way up there. I’m seriously thinking of trying the sardines. Been grossed out about them ever since I saw that movie “The Burbs”

(Marianne) #2

The cost of fish/seafood is insane. I guess I’m lucky that I don’t like it (except maybe shrimp, and crab an lobster, which I don’t buy because of the price). Beef is crazy, too, for a decent cut. I buy the cheap cuts like round steak and just enhance it with more fat. Comes out tasty on the grill and isn’t too tough if it’s a little rare.

(Denise) #3

Thanks for mentioning Round Steak. I still don’t know my cuts of meat very well :frowning: I can try some of that and hope they have it in grass-fed. If not, I’ll buy it anyway though, have to do the best I can :wink: If you know some others that are tender, I’d love to hear Marianne? I bought what I thought was supposed to be excellent, and it was grass-fed, called Flat Iron?? Tough as an old boot :frowning: If I buy it again I’ll cook it in the slow-cooker, “if” I buy it again :wink:

(Marianne) #4

Skirt steak is another good one, and London Broil. London Broil can be very tough, but you’re supposed to cut it in thin strips on the bias, and it comes out nice. My husband and I favor pork over beef for the majority of our meals, and pork steaks/pork chops are one of the most economical things you can purchase. Do you have discount clubs (like Sam’s, BJs, Costco) where you are? We buy in bulk packages and break it down into freezer bags when we get home. Another thing that is delicious - I think - is 73/27 hamburger. Very economical because most people feel this ratio is “unhealthy.” Works to our benefit! :grin:

(Denise) #5

Taking notes here Marianne :wink:

We do have London Broil, and yes, I prefer pork as well. I like to buy those 2-pack Tenderloins as they last me 3 or 4 meal, bake one and freeze one. I bought a Foodsaver which is one of the best things I’ve ever bought :slight_smile: I don’t have discount card except for Safeway. I rarely shop there though because we have a Grocery Outlet I like if they have things in stock. Very, small town I live in on what I call “the lost coast” :laughing: Thanks for the tip on the burger, I usually find the 85/15 and add my olive oil to it as well, but I’ll look for the 73/27, again, thanks for that tip too :wink:

(Marianne) #6

I’ll have to pick up some pork tenderloins next time I am out. Very lean but great conduit for added fat, like a nice alfredo sauce or horseradish/cream cheese sauce. I love the way we can eat!

(Bob M) #7

If you sous vide these, they come out great. I get top round and other roasts and sous vide them. You can also cook them low and slow (say 200F until they are 120F internally), then take them out.

Lean pork is good too.

I personally don’t add fat to these.

(Denise) #8

I love cooking those in my convectional oven. I really didn’t know how to use one, but the last time I had to clean my big range, I learned real fast, lol!!

Both those sauces sound very yummy :wink: I want to try my hot mustard as I like to shoot for the chinese style Pork and seeds I used to get at a restaurant. I use Schillings mustard powder and mix it with beer. Then slice off the pork like you mentioned slicing the red meat, dip in the hot mustard, and then the sesame seeds. I need to learn to make a sauce for the pork that is Keto/diabetic friendly. The one the Chinese restaurant always had was something that made it look reddish :face_with_monocle:

It’s simple for me, I am way too poor to afford luxuries like salmon or beef often… It’s good I prefer pork and turkey :smiley: (And rabbit is nice too, we buy that sometimes.)
We haven’t even have a nice seafood variety here :frowning: Oh well. I still can eat very tasty, nutritious, satiating meals.

(It would be cheaper to eat less. I am still fat… But it’s not that easy for me :frowning: )

Not so long ago I regularly got bored of my meat but it stopped. I can eat pork roasts every day. Even on my turkey or liver days I have pork too. Only my rare beef days are different.

(Denise) #10

Nothing easy about eating what I should but I’ve noticed it got way easier. I’m low-income as well, and thought about trying to earn extra doing something but now it seems I feel too safe at home. Who knows though, my health is improving leaps and bounds so I may be able to take on something outside of home-sweet-home.

I still have fat too I’d like to ditch but I recently got hooked on peanuts in the shell for an afternoon snack. Not just the recommended serving either. But it’s added too many calories to my day, compared to what I am burning. I’ve upped my exercise times though so we’ll see how it goes :wink:

(Marianne) #11

I love nuts in general - too much - and don’t eat them for that reason. Even though they are keto friendly, they’re just one of those foods that I can binge on. Their are a few keto foods like that.

(Denise) #12

I’m usually able to back off anything that’s having a negative effect. I could tell the reason I was pigging out on the peanuts was becoming a habit, so I’m not buying them anymore. That can work for me but it’s hard to break a habit. Trying to put something healthy in it’s place is a the hardest part of it for me. I mean something healthy not having to do with eating :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

I started out keto eating a lot of nuts and artificially-sweetened chocolate. Eventually, I stopped eating so many nuts in one session and the packages started lasting for a long time. Now I find I don’t want to buy them. The same with the chocolate, which I used to heat, sweeten, and mix with whipping cream to make a sort of fudge. Then I just ate a block of unsweetened chocolate as a snack. Now I go right past the chocolate in the store. I can still eat a lot of pork rinds, but I’m beginning to lose interest in them, as well.

(Denise) #14

That’s what happens to me, I lost interest in the fat-bombs, and the almond bread I was baking. I hadn’t gained weight on either of those, but I just wanted to get that “4 hour fasting window” between my meals. I did lose interest in them like you.

I think that’s happening now with the full cup of peanuts in the shell. I liked sucking the salt off the shells, and God only knows what all is still on a peanut shell :frowning::scream::rofl: My head was telling me I was getting plenty of sodium, not that I was deficient in it.

(Bob M) #15

I can still eat way too much of the following: nuts; bacon; porkitos. Consequently, I don’t eat these.

It’s just a matter of figuring out what causes you to overeat, and if you can’t limit it, avoid it.

(Denise) #16

My main times of over-eating are when I haven’t enough to do. I’m not the best at creating “projects”, or things to do. When I go off and running errands, I don’t even eat a lunch, never hungry. Sitting at home either on the computer or watching an afternoon movie on the boob tube are my worst enemies :crazy_face:

(Jane) #17

We make fajitas or soup out of the flat iron steak. We cut the steak real thin across the grain for fajitas and in small chunks for soup.

I’ll usually eat one low carb wrap stuffed with the meat, salsa, sour cream and cheese, so plenty of fat.

(Denise) #18

sounds way good, and I love/miss the wraps but your found some low-carb Janie? What brand, we might have them around here too? :wink:

(Jane) #19

I have tried a lot of them and these are my favorites:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/La-Banderita-Carb-Counter-Carb-Lean-Tortillas-Soft-Taco-Flour-Tortillas-8-count-11-9-oz/21128281

I know not everyone can do wheat and doesn’t qualify as “clean” keto, but it is a nice occasional treat for me.

(Denise) #20

thanks Janie!! I’ll check them out :slight_smile: Oh 4 grams only!! I could do those and so glad as I don’t like the mission carb-balance whole wheat, 12 grams in those ;(