Grass fed/finished vs Grain/Corn Finished (or fed)

(Ken) #21

By that logic you could say that you are eating Sunlight whenever you eat anything.

and most probably using sunlight to transport it and cook it.

(Bunny) #23

Welp you better make sense of it, nonsensical or not?

I was referring the blood sugars they are talking about?

What part of:

“… harder to lower the blood sugar in people eating corn fed animals than they are over grass fed. You can see the data thousands of times over.” …”

Don’t you understand?

(Jenna Ericson) #24

It’s my understanding that grass fed vs. corn fed is less of an issue with ruminants like cows than with other animals because they turn most polyunsaturated fats into saturated fats during digestion. That being said, there is still some polyunsaturated fat in beef and if the cows were corn finished, the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio of that fat is going to be less than ideal. I just looked it up and the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fat in corn it is is 58 to 1.

In general though, it’s more important to be concerned with polyunsaturated fat ratios in pigs and poultry because, unlike cows, they don’t turn polyunsaturated fat into saturated fat during digestion, so more of those bad fats end up getting stored. With pork, bacon is less risky because the belly area of pigs tends to be composed of more saturated fat than polyunsaturated fat.

Bringing it back to beef, I’d say if you’re not eating 100% grassfed, you could maybe just try to make sure you’re getting enough omega-3 fats from fish, etc. to keep your ratio of polyunsaturated fats in check.

Well I can see I touched a nerve. My comment was about the statement I quoted. But as to your response I would actually like to see some of those thousands of data… I know of studies supporting the benefits of CLA and Omega-3s but they don’t compare GFF vs CF in terms of lowering blood sugar,

My take is that the change from SAD to significant beef consumption and low carb dwarfs the delta obtained by going from GFCF to GFF. I don’t really believe there is such a clear abundance of independent research showing that but I’d be willing to change my mind if you can lead me in the right direction.

As to the quote from “Dr.” Nasha Winters, well forgive me if I don’t trust the unfootnoted comment of a “licensed Naturopathic Doctor (ND)”. She has stated that all cancers are metabolic diseases and can be cured by keto. I realize she got her “degree” from an Arizona school “accredited” by a like minded non scientific organization. Homeopathy isn’t research. In Texas,Naturopathic Doctors are not licensed. Right now there are no requirements and anyone can call themselves a naturopathic doctor in Texas. Even if they go through some sort of licensing I am not going to be impressed by research based on one person’s personal observations…

I do not believe there are thousands of cases showing this claim. Full stop.