Grams of carbs

(Chris McRoberts) #1

What is the number of carbs u can eat,and go keto? I have read many different numbers

(Kerri Hines) #2

You’re reading different numbers because it varies from person to person. Most widely accepted seems to be 20g. More insulin sensitive people find maintaining full time ketosis possible at 50g and I actually know of a few endurance athletes that go higher and never stop making ketones. But that’s a different situation.

(Chris McRoberts) #3

I read 50 g in the book Primal Endurance. I know people that say 20 g. 50 g sounds much easier to accomplish. Thank you

(seanrichardson96) #4

I don’t count macros but if i did it definitely be under 20 for sure

(Larry Lustig) #5

20 grams net carbohydrates is generally considered (at least by the guys who founded the forums) to be low enough to guarantee almost anyone will be in ketosis. Therefore, it’s a very conservative number (although some people here have measured themselves and find they need an even lower number).

So, you can either go with 20 grams and not worry about measuring or else you can try different amounts and measure yourself frequently for ketones to find out what your personal limit is.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #6

Experiment to see how high you can take the carbs and maintain ketosis. 20 grams or less is necessary for many in the forum with metabolic issues (e.g., deranged metabolism, insulin resistance, fatty liver disease, high triglycerides, obesity, pre-diabetes, diabetes). If you don’t have these issues you are more likekly to be successful at a higher carb level. Some, like myself, must keep to <10 grams to achieve/maintain ketosis. Listen to your body.

(Richard Morris) #7

Tim Noakes says that Chris Froome (winner of the last 3 Tours de France) is able to eat up to 200g a day and remain in ketosis … but he has to race for 200 km to be able to do that.

For most people 20g will get you into ketosis.

For some people, especially diabetics, it has to be less. Like 5g

(Chris McRoberts) #8

I really like nuts. I can’t imagine u can have many peanuts,almonds ,etc…Where do u get all the fat?

(carl) #9

Had this discussion with my mother, who is always telling me “I don’t eat a lot of carbs.” Well, we looked at her “healthy oatmeal” that she makes from mixing a few products. Let’s check the carbs on these healthy products:
###Ingredient #1: Bob’s Whole Wheat Farina

Whoa! 29 grams of carbs in 1/4 cup!
###Ingredient #2, Steel Cut Oats

Less carbs here, but not by much.

She also adds apple cider to her oatmeal. Let’s see how many carbs are in 1/4 cup of that:

That’s 29 grams per cup - or about 7.25 grams per 1/4 cup.
Source: https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/apple-cider

What have we learned? 1/4 cup of whole wheat cereal, whether or not combined with steel cut oats, has nearly 4 times the carbs of 1/4 cup of apple cider.