'Good' Carbs?

(Doug) #42

Chris, good discussion. There are going to be a lot of individual deals, here. Since we don’t need carbs, I’d say the distinction between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ is muted somewhat. I agree with Ken @240lbfatloss - if you’re not eating enough to mess you up, then it doesn’t much matter.

For some people, that may be practically zero, or it may be a substantial amount, but not too often. A separate thing is the question of what else is in the food - nutrients, additives, etc. I have to also agree that it’s better for me to eat a bunch of spinach than an Oreo. :smile:

If we’re talking about “sabotaging ourselves,” I think it’s often a mental/emotional thing, rather than just physical effects, i.e. for many of us there are some really slippery slopes out there, whether the trigger is a cookie or a sweet potato.

You’re at maintenance and seem pretty darn level-headed about all this. I think you’re on the right track about less processed food, added sugar, fructose, seed oils and lower glycemic indices.

“General nutritional rule” - when I read about fiber, there’s often a good case for it, i.e. its effect as it goes through the digestive tract, that it feeds beneficial bacteria, etc. In practice, lots of us don’t worry about it and get along fine on a keto diet without much fiber at all. Personally, I only notice it if I eat a LOT of cheese, like a kilogram or 2 lbs in a day, and not much else.

:grin: It certainly is… :slightly_smiling_face: :cry:

(John) #43

Back to the original topic - I normally stay within the typical keto-guidelines for what TYPE of foods to eat. Leafy vegetables, other above ground vegetables that are low in total carbs per quantify of food. I also eat berries, nuts, plain unsweetened yogurt, and unsweetened almond milk.

So when I want to go a little higher on carbs, I eat MORE of those same foods. Not rice, potatoes, bread. The glucose they are broken down into may very well be no different than the glucose I would get from eating sugar cubes. But I get a lot of other useful nutrients from them.

Somebody tells me that 20g of carbs from spinach is identical in total nutrition for my body as 20g of carbs from Oreo cookies, I am not going to give that much weight. While the carbs grams themselves may be no different, it is everything else that comes along with them that will be different.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #44

I just saw this last night and thought it might be useful information here.

There’s a lot of posts that I have seen on the resistant starch theory, personally I don’t buy it and neither does Dr. Berry. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Good video. This is why I personally am resistant to starch! :grin: :bacon::bacon:

(BuckRimfire) #46

I have the same attitude toward kimchi. Of course, I try to find the one with the lowest sugar to start with. Then I loosen the lid and set the jar in a bowl (to catch any overflow) and let it incubate at room temperature for a couple-three days while it bubbles, to allow the micro-critters to slurp up some of the loose sugar that might still be in there.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #47

I make my own so I know what’s in it and how long I fermented it. It’s like 10x less money too. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #48

I also think it is fascinating how carbohydrates are processed at great speeds like within seconds after you eat them especially starch and mostly stored as fat (depending on your individual body oxidation speed), hard to believe (at least for me) that whole process happens that fast!

The difference between a simple carbohydrate (junk food) and complex carbohydrate (Whole Foods)?

('Jackie P') #49

Do you make kombucha @David_Stilley?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #50

@CrackerJax No I don’t, I think 20 years ago a vegan gave me a taste and I thought, “Why would anyone want to drink this?” :joy::joy: But I will drink my Kraut juice.

:cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #51

Haha, I often think I should revisit fermented food, but I bought a jar of sauerkraut once and never got past the first mouthful! Yours always looks delicious! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bunny) #52

Resistant starch is not really resistant to anything it is really fasting extensively (very extensively) while eating something that is really nothing (and also good for your gut mucin barrier and heals it) with all the benefits of autophagy (completing the various stages of autophagosome formation) and because you removed the sugars from it by repeating the process of boiling (heating), rinsing and cooling. Gotta love Dr. Berry though he’s the best…lol

See also: Cray Ray Diet

A far cry from a myth!

(Edith) #53

I think any whole food carb (thinking fruits and veggies) in moderation would be fine. They are chock full of vitamins and minerals. I discovered acorn squash during the winter. Oh my, it is tasty! I just don’t eat it every day or even every month, but I certainly enjoy it every once in a while and I don’t feel guilty. I think if a person eats whole food veggies and tubers, even if you indulge, the amount of carbs you would eat that day would still be way less than if you were following the SAD.

(Doug) #54

Definitely - if somebody has a cutting edge technique (usually involving days of heating/cooling cycles) then maybe they get the resistant starch content up to 5% or 6%. So, whatever food it is still has 94%+ as much regular starch as possible… :smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #55

“Good carbs” ? Sounds like saying, a “good cigarette” :slight_smile: lol

Wait ! I’ve smoked a ton of good cigarettes ! But they were all tobacco free :slight_smile: lol

Sweet Potatoes, Higher amounts of cauliflower, Oatmeal, Brown Rice etc. Basically look at how weightlifters eat carbs, that’s typically the good ones… minus the ol’ dirty bulk that everybody does at some point. Lately I’m up around 100g/day and having no negative effects from it. Gym workouts are WAY better, putting on muscle again and still NO issues the next day if I want to fast and just run on fat for a while. I just make sure if I do go higher in carbs at say dinner, the next day until dinner I watch my fat intake for obvious reasons. For me, as long as I stay away from the sugary desert type garbage carbs I’m fine. If I eat those I start having cravings for a couple days after.

(KCKO, KCFO) #57

:joy::rofl::joy:“Turn a potato into an avocado”:joy::rofl::joy:

My husband hopes resistant starch is a thing. I can’t wait to share this with him.

I tried the cook, cool, potatoes a long time ago when I first heard about it. I don’t monitor my blood but I could have eaten everything in the house after a serve of those. That is what got me off of potatoes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #58

If you don’t mind not being in ketosis I guess that is no negative effects. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ken) #59

You’re missing my point. Did you read my earlier post to bring carb consumption within the context of fat based nutrition?

You’re still looking at carbs.as a significant part of nutrition,which is not the case when you’re not eating many. At low levels there’s little chance of detrimental adaptations due to things like insulin spikes, etc.

(Ken) #60

Again, missing my point about fat based nutrition.

('Jackie P') #61

It’s not that I missed your point, just that I didn’t agree with it. And I was actually trying to help @ChrisW who posted the question.