'Good' Carbs?

I know the term ‘good carbs’ might sound like an oxymoron to us keto people…but, if I were to occasionally indulge in carbs (and fyi I’ve been on keto a year and am currently at maintenance), what would be the healthiest ones to eat?

And this isn’t me trying to get guilt-free permission to eat carbs regularly, I know I’m best to avoid them altogether…but, since I’m human and I inevitably have a small amount of high carbs food sometimes, I just want to eat the ones that benefit me the most (for energy, muscle gain etc)

(Brandy) #2

Sweet potatoes, taro (think poi), carrots. I’m pretty sure this is a bad idea for anyone, but I dream of the day I taste split pea soup with ham hocks again.

(Wendy) #3

Well I don’t see carbs as evil. Too many and certain ones are nothing but junk.
What are you looking for? I get carbs in my veggies and in my full fat yogurt, in my keto snacks. But I don’t really go looking for carbs, they are just in some of the healthy foods I like to eat. Unless you go full carnivore there will always be a few carbs in your meals.
I didn’t want to lose anymore so I did kind of add a few more of things like berries and such. I still want to make ketones though because of the health benefits.

(Robert C) #4

To me, the “good carbs” are the ones that let you skip carbs for as long as possible after you have had them.

A couple of 85% dark chocolate squares a few times a week that keep you on track are “better” in my mind than starting up with some of what are typically called “good” carbs if the “good” carbs “well, don’t seem so bad - maybe a little more often” and have you sliding down a slippery slope. It could just be the other way around, very small amounts of chocolate may be your slope and sweet potato is not your gateway carb drug of choice.

I am assuming you are trying to limit them so much that energy and muscle gains would be almost non-existent anyway.

So, I would change:

to

(Ken) #5

It doesn’t really matter if it’s an occasional event. You just have to not overeat the one’s that disagree with your system. You may have.a.strong negative reaction at first, since.your body is not used to producing as much Amylase. Once you establish a little more flexibility, small, infrequent.events like one meal won’t bother you.

Carbohydrates are not poison, even the detrimental ones take a chronic consumption pattern to really show effects. Go ahead and go to Dairy Queen if you want. But only for an occasional treat.

Thanks guys.

Sorry, I probably should be more specific. I’m talking more about good carb-heavy foods (potatoes, rice, oats?) rather than foods with small amounts of carbs, (I already eat the latter). And I’m talking in context of a small meal once every week or two at social occasions, not full blown cheat days.

So you’re saying the quality of carbs isn’t important just as long as it’s not at a large quantity?

(Ken) #8

Kinda, Sort’a. Limited amounts of carbs considered detrimental may not.effect.you. You’ll find out fairly quickly after.a.little experimentation.

Anyway, I’ll attempt to answer my own question and anyone fell free to let me know if I’m on the right track…

With carb heavy foods, I assume

• The less processed the better
  • the less added sugar the better
  • the less fructose the better, fruits etc (not sure about this one)
  • the less cooked in harmful vegetable oils etc the better
  • the more slow energy release the better (low GI carbs)

Anything I missed?

And I know things like n=1 and personal addictions, food intolerances etc come in to play, but ignore those and talk just as a general nutritional rule.

(Ken) #10

Meh, after nearly 20 years I’ve.repeatedly violated all those guidelines with no ill effects. However, I’ve.never reestablished a pattern of chronic carb consumption.

Yes but I’m sure some of those were better for your body than others. I’m not talking about foods that cause a pattern of overconsumption but those that are best for nutrition/energy etc.

(Ken) #12

Carbs are Carbs. Some digest slower, some faster. IMO, when it comes to only occasional consumption there’s not much difference in them.

At least not when comparing Sweet Potatoes with Ice.Cream with Pecan Pie., eating.equivalent.caloric amounts.
A lot of conventional wisdom currently out there are.holdovers from the old complex carb based diet days.

So in your opinion 200cal of rice is nutritionally the same as 200cal of Oreos?

(Ken) #14

Pretty much, don’t forget the milk.

:smile::smile::smile:

But seriously though, I’m not talking just carbs for carbs, I’m talking about the nutritional value of the two foods (additives, processing etc). Surely the less processed the better.

I don’t know if they’re the same nutritionally, but if I’m going to veer off plan for something “worth it,” it’s way more likely to be peach pie than rice. Peach pie is GOOD. Rice is blah. And if you want a nutritional evaluation, at least there are some vitamins in the peaches. :grin:

I guess I figure I’m already getting what I need nutritionally. The point of eating more carbs (to me) is variety or treats that I’m not getting in my day-to-day.

Good point…I’m just trying to reduce my feelings of guilt. :grinning:

(Ken) #18

Ah, I’ll make a point. We are talking about limited carb consumption within the wider context of a fat based nutritional pattern. You’re not supposed to be eating enough of them to provide significant nutrition, only to allow limited metabolic flexibility.

Within that context, you can see my point.

True, true. But the way I see it, why sabotage your own keto WOE by eating even just a small amount of highly processed bad carby food, when you can enhance it by eating the good carby food instead.

Not being judgemental (I know there’s a time and a place for oreos and peach pie), just trying to equip myself with the right eating choices.

(Brandy) #20

I understood the original question to be trying to get at which carby foods have the most nutritional benefit over others.

The point then is that some carb rich foods are otherwise nutrient rich beyond their carb count and some are nutritionally bankrupt. A sweet potato is rich in fiber and antioxidants, both of which promote good gut health and help to clear the body of free radicals. They’re also rich in vitamins such as B, while an Oreo is nothing but white flour, canola oil and high fructose corn syrup, all of which destroy digestive enzymes and/or retard your DNA. In the case of canola oil, it’s so highly refined that any antioxidants that were contained in the plant are completely destroyed. These two foods may raise your blood sugar similarly but that is where the similarities end.