'Good' Carbs?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #47

I make my own so I know what’s in it and how long I fermented it. It’s like 10x less money too. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #48

I also think it is fascinating how carbohydrates are processed at great speeds like within seconds after you eat them especially starch and mostly stored as fat (depending on your individual body oxidation speed), hard to believe (at least for me) that whole process happens that fast!

The difference between a simple carbohydrate (junk food) and complex carbohydrate (Whole Foods)?

('Jackie P') #49

Do you make kombucha @David_Stilley?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #50

@CrackerJax No I don’t, I think 20 years ago a vegan gave me a taste and I thought, “Why would anyone want to drink this?” :joy::joy: But I will drink my Kraut juice.

:cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #51

Haha, I often think I should revisit fermented food, but I bought a jar of sauerkraut once and never got past the first mouthful! Yours always looks delicious! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bunny) #52

Resistant starch is not really resistant to anything it is really fasting extensively (very extensively) while eating something that is really nothing (and also good for your gut mucin barrier and heals it) with all the benefits of autophagy (completing the various stages of autophagosome formation) and because you removed the sugars from it by repeating the process of boiling (heating), rinsing and cooling. Gotta love Dr. Berry though he’s the best…lol

See also: Cray Ray Diet

A far cry from a myth!

(Edith) #53

I think any whole food carb (thinking fruits and veggies) in moderation would be fine. They are chock full of vitamins and minerals. I discovered acorn squash during the winter. Oh my, it is tasty! I just don’t eat it every day or even every month, but I certainly enjoy it every once in a while and I don’t feel guilty. I think if a person eats whole food veggies and tubers, even if you indulge, the amount of carbs you would eat that day would still be way less than if you were following the SAD.

(Doug) #54

Definitely - if somebody has a cutting edge technique (usually involving days of heating/cooling cycles) then maybe they get the resistant starch content up to 5% or 6%. So, whatever food it is still has 94%+ as much regular starch as possible… :smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #55

“Good carbs” ? Sounds like saying, a “good cigarette” :slight_smile: lol

Wait ! I’ve smoked a ton of good cigarettes ! But they were all tobacco free :slight_smile: lol

Sweet Potatoes, Higher amounts of cauliflower, Oatmeal, Brown Rice etc. Basically look at how weightlifters eat carbs, that’s typically the good ones… minus the ol’ dirty bulk that everybody does at some point. Lately I’m up around 100g/day and having no negative effects from it. Gym workouts are WAY better, putting on muscle again and still NO issues the next day if I want to fast and just run on fat for a while. I just make sure if I do go higher in carbs at say dinner, the next day until dinner I watch my fat intake for obvious reasons. For me, as long as I stay away from the sugary desert type garbage carbs I’m fine. If I eat those I start having cravings for a couple days after.

(KCKO, KCFO) #57

:joy::rofl::joy:“Turn a potato into an avocado”:joy::rofl::joy:

My husband hopes resistant starch is a thing. I can’t wait to share this with him.

I tried the cook, cool, potatoes a long time ago when I first heard about it. I don’t monitor my blood but I could have eaten everything in the house after a serve of those. That is what got me off of potatoes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #58

If you don’t mind not being in ketosis I guess that is no negative effects. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ken) #59

You’re missing my point. Did you read my earlier post to bring carb consumption within the context of fat based nutrition?

You’re still looking at carbs.as a significant part of nutrition,which is not the case when you’re not eating many. At low levels there’s little chance of detrimental adaptations due to things like insulin spikes, etc.

(Ken) #60

Again, missing my point about fat based nutrition.

('Jackie P') #61

It’s not that I missed your point, just that I didn’t agree with it. And I was actually trying to help @ChrisW who posted the question.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #62

I make sauerkraut, fermented cucumbers, yoghurt and occasionally my own version of kimchi that is just the veg and none of the typical flavouring ingredients. My husband is tolerant of the ‘mouldering stuff’ in the kitchen!

I adore sharp, tangy flavours and crunch, so that kind of thing is heaven to me!

I strain the yoghurt and have it for pudding every now and again - and use it as an ingredient in things. Last night a spoonful of strained yoghurt went perfectly as a garnish and flavour/texture contrast to a very, very rich chocolate orange mousse.

I’ve hesitated with kombucha though - I’ve got a vacuum-packed SCOBY waiting - the thing I’m concerned about is not being able to measure the carbohydrate content in the finished product - I don’t want to drink something if I don’t know by how much it’s going to wreck my blood glucose control!

(bulkbiker) #63

Avoiding conversations like this is a great reason why carbs are best limited as much as possible?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #64

Mark, Mark, Mark! It’s just human nature that people on a forum dedicated to a low-carbohydrate way of eating would be trying to figure out how to stretch “under 20 g of carbohydrate a day” to mean “all the carbohydrate we can eat”! Logic and physiology have nothing to do with it . . . :grin:

(bulkbiker) #65

:grimacing: not at you …but you know…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #66

@atomicspacebunny I watched Cray Ray Diet, I just don’t get how this is better than eating a normal LCHF ketogenic diet. Yes it seems like eating only starch like a potato will put you into some kind of potatosis, burning fat and probably getting some autophagy to supply protein but it sounds like a torturous way to loose weight, basically starvation and caloric restriction from the pure boredom that comes from eating only potatoes. It doesn’t sound like he has arrived at a healthy place at all. If weight loss is your only goal and real metabolic health isn’t a concern then a LFHC diet can work. He claims .9 lb weight loss per day. That is too fast for loosing 100 lbs I would think, unless you want to be a person swimming in a bag of skin. I think IF and KETO are probably more effective for arriving at a healthy metabolism and weight.

He says he eats what he wants now but that’s deceptive in that it’s a loaded statement. He eats what he wants but he doesn’t eat the way he used to which means he’s unlearned what he previously thought was good. I can make that same statement. I eat whatever I want, it just happens that is ketogenic low carb foods. I want them because I feel better eating them. He’s eating low fat vegan food with the occasional corned beef sandwich or pizza for social reasons mostly to go out with his son. So you can loose weight eating anything in my opinion if you calorie restrict but I question how healthy that is in the long run. It’s just easier to do if all you allow yourself to eat are boiled or baked potatoes but who wants to live that way? I sure don’t and I don’t think that Penn Jillette’s story had anything to do with the resistant starch theory, he was just living on starchy carbs for four months. Too austere for me. I am not a monk. :cowboy_hat_face: