Going on a catered ski holiday - help!

(Suze Trotman) #1

I have been following a keto diet since January and am losing weight slowly and steadily - none of the amazing weekly losses for me(yet!) but feel like I’m doing well. Next week we are going skiing for 10 days but I will not have much control over what I eat in the evenings. I know I can avoid the obvious carbs but what do I do when a meal is totally carb based ? I feel like I’m going to have to eat at least some carbs and deal with the consequences when I get back home. Any ideas/suggestions to avoid this hostage situation welcome.

(bulkbiker) #2

Fast maybe? Aks for something low carb?
I bet if you said you were vegan they would do something special for you…

(Dan Dan) #3

Don’t stress every place I have traveled has had Keto friendly food options :grin:

I don’t eat food I don’t like or don’t want too and would never force myself just because it’s a holiday :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If I need to explain myself I tell people rich foods cause problems with my system :wink:

Most of all its a holiday enjoy yourself :grin:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Karen) #4

Tell them you are gluten intolerant.

K

(Mike Glasbrener) #5

First… Jealous… Have a blast! If you going to a domestic resort most will have a market where you can buy food. Just because they place it in front of you does mean you have to eat it. So I would buy food to eat before meals to eat then you can pick at meals if they’re non keto. You can bring macadamia nuts, smoked sausage, canned anchovies/sardines. All of those travel well.

Ask for meat and veg with real butter, and skip the rest. They should be able to accommodate that. Have fun!

(Sophie) #7

There’s almost always a salad bar!

(Suze Trotman) #8

That’s a good idea to fill up on keto snacks before dinner.

(Suze Trotman) #9

It’s private but I know there will be lots of tartiflette - very keto bar the potatoes!!

(Georgia) #10

If you have a chance to influence what they offer, I would tell them you have dietary restrictions. I don’t consider it lying because I wouldn’t say I have a medical condition or food allergy.

We had both breakfast and lunch provided at work Friday. Bagels for breakfast and pizza for lunch. I ate neither, but I remembered they ordered gluten free pizza the last time they provided it. Funny thing, though. One of the guys who said they needed gluten free pizza ate a bagel for breakfast. My point being, they went out of their way to accommodate this guy, but apparently he didn’t have a condition that required gluten free.

(mykittashi) #11

I’ve had this challenge when attending conferences where the food is buffet style for hundreds of people, but even then I can usually make it work. Sure, I end up eating some unplanned carbs, but I do the best with the options at the time. Don’t be too hard on yourself!

In addition to what others have said, Trader Joe’s has coconut oil in individual packets that you can bring with you to put in coffee. Most places will give you a weird look, but will comply with a request for butter in a to-go coffee. Hard boiled eggs and a little EVOO (you can get TSA-friendly bottles at Sur Le Table or Williams Sonoma) are other options.

Have fun!!

(Suze Trotman) #12

Guess the US is much better geared towards a keto friendly diet than much of Europe. I will of course be able to enjoy all those delicious French cheeses.

In a lot of restaurants they serve half and half or milk with coffee. I will usually say, the chef cooks with cream, could you please ask him for a small glass. Most but not all he time this works

(Sophie) #14

I don’t know about that. I remember most breakfasts in Germany/Austria every place seemed to have trays of sliced meats and cheeses (for the bread) and hard boiled eggs, butter and Philadelphia.

(Carrie) #15

Hi there, just reading your post from last year, how did it go?
We’re off to France in a few weeks time, so I’m really interested.
We re such foodies, both previous chefs, in our younger days, so LOVE French food, but I seriously don’t want to jeopardise my eating plan!!!
How did your go? Any tips?

(Suze Trotman) #16

It was ok for a while - lots of cheese and meat and veggies but the end of the was a bit more carb heavy. I didn’t gain but threw my body out of ketosis for a few weeks.
Tartiflette is delicious but will mess you up!