Going dairy free and looking for good animal fats

Hi Shinita, as I still am using butter at the moment and conventional butter at that, as I don’t have any good replacement yet, I fry my ox liver in my iron pan in a sea of butter. I easily use up a quarter of the pack, then I fry my pasture eggs in the same mix. And that is my breakfast. Used another quarter to fry my smoked mackarel fillets at lunch. Would love to try tongue, but haven’t a clue how to cook it, boil it in water you say? I don’t use spices, but I could add salt? How do you cook heart or kidney? What kind of organ meats have you tried, and from which animals? I would love to try all manner of organ meats in time, and start eating an animal nose to tail. I’m keen to give up the dairy, I’ve used so much conventional butter on my ox livers, and today I started to get those pesky aches again, still nothing like back on my HC/LF WOE. Conventional dairy hates me and my body hates it. Really hoping I will feel better when I switch to grassfed beef tallow/dripping next week. Maybe it’s the caffeine withdrawal? Energy quite low today, but hopefully better tomorrow.

Oh you fry your smoked mackerel, why? It’s smoked and perfect, we just eat it when we have it, it’s even fatty already… Of course, if you prefer that, fine, I just never would have think anyone fries it.

Surely mere boiled tongue is edible too but spices does really good, I personally wouldn’t skip them but it’s obviously individual… I wish to try out some other recipe so next time I will do that.

I don’t buy kidney, only get it with a whole small animal like the rabbits, I just fry it with the liver then. But it’s fine in soups as well.
I always fry heart. The strings and whatnots (of bigger hearts. one uses chicken ones whole, at least I do) get ground and mixed with eggs and I eat that too :slight_smile: The first time I give it to the cats but I realized it tastes fine when ground so the potentially troublesome, not smooth texture goes away…

Let’s see.
I had everything from chicken (only in my childhood for things like brain, I loved that), liver and kidney from rabbit (the egg lady only includes these organs), many organs from the only goat kid I bought from the beef farm (I hate lungs in general, I am pretty sure of it. okay, chicken lungs is fine. not spectacular but better than big lungs with their spongy texture, ew), beef liver and tongue, pork liver and heart and tongue… I don’t remember more now. It’s a pitiful list, I want more!
I can get spleen but I never visit the supermarket where I saw it so I need to decide to go there specifically and my big shoppings are tiresome and long already. But one day it will happen.
I still haven’t visited city butchers, they probably have something… The local butchers only have the most common chicken and pork items, liver and heart and that’s about it. Maybe lungs, I don’t remember, I ignore of existence of lungs for sale… Texture matters too much to me and I don’t remember it being particularly tasty either.

Oh and tinned cod liver, I love that stuff!

And I had duck liver as a kid but I never had it since. Only in spreads.

I eat lots of skin too :slight_smile:

Quite unfortunate you can’t even eat butter without problems, it’s a lovely item and mostly fat… I don’t use much but it would be so odd without any…

Hi Shinita, you certainly have eaten a lot of organs, I’ve only so far tried ox liver, texture wise it can be a bit spongy, but it depends on how long you cook/fry it, if still pink/rawish inside it’s definitely spongy. But tastes good with eggs, I cut it up small on my plate. As to dairy, yes even the butter, I am convinced, is a problem, with regards to my roseaca. I have been listening to Dr. Ken Berry who was able to cure his own roseaca by going keto, then carnivore and I believe he gave up dairy as well, though I’m not sure if he was still eating dairy when his roseaca was, according to him, cured, as it seems staying away from dairy in his case has more to do with weight and the fact he’s an abstainer not a moderator. But it is my fervent hope now that eliminating dairy will get rid of my roseaca (redness, acne like rash, scaling, blepharitis, ugh!)

Going to the butcher on Tues so will get beef tallow/dripping, and I will try the venison as they had huge packs of minced venison meats for about £10 each. They do of course have more luxurious cuts of the different animals, grassfed beef and lamb and free range pork and chicken, I just haven’t really looked at those options yet, as I go for what’s most affordable. But I will certainly get something fancy for my birthday, perhaps a rabbit, or a good grassfed steak, haven’t had steak in years. Minced meats and burgers are much cheaper. I will look out for tongue and heart. Doubt they’ll have brain, how would you cook brain anyway, boil it?

No idea what I would do with brain :smiley: But I forgot. I did eat pork brain! When I got the tiny super fatty piglet from the pig farm, the head was included. I think we just roasted it along with the rest of the body? But I have no memories about it. Boiling should work too I suppose.

Hi Shinita, just watched a new video of Dr. Ken Berry talking about dairy and I think ghee might be an option for me, something I’m willing to try, but I will try beef tallow/dripping first for a few weeks. I think I’ll try beef tongue, heart, kidney before brain, though I will try that at some point. It’s great you can get your pork from a local farm, it may be it’s only the supermarket pork that’s a problem with regards to PUFAs. I’m still looking into that. Dr. Paul Saladino appears to be against fish, chicken and pork because of the PUFAs, while many other carnivore doctors like Dr. Ken Berry, Dr. Paul Mason and Dr. Anthony Chaffee, as well as Dr. Lisa Wiedeman, another doctor (optometrist and carnivore) I’ve recently begun listening to, appear to not see a problem with eating these animals. But I also like doing my own research. It was Dr. Lisa Wiedeman, however, who convinced me to give up coffee and caffeine.

Hi kib1, I’m actually considering trying ghee, as I’ve read more about it, and Dr. Ken Berry certainly advocates it for those of us with such a dairy intolerance that even butter is inflammatory. I will still get beef tallow/dripping, but would be nice if I could alternate it with ghee so as to have more animal fat options for cooking. I think though as my roseaca is so bad I’ll try beef tallow/dripping first for a few weeks, and then if my skin improves try ghee. The butcher I go to sells free range pork so they may have lard as well, but will ask what the feed of those pigs was.

There is a difference as I have heard but different countries does things differently too, due to various reasons (breed and feed) as I have read… The article said we have better chances in Europe than in the US.
I don’t care about PUFAs at all as my body doesn’t seem to care either, anyway, I can’t afford to be too choosy. I just do what I can. I surely will buy pork shoulder from the farm again (and chuck, my fav!) as it was so very different from the supermarket one. It’s like it wanted to be beef :smiley: Color and texture wise it did well, the taste is pork though and I don’t mind that :smiley: I can’t overeat it unlike supermarket pork shoulder despite I don’t like the latter as much as the other cuts I buy (but it goes on irresistible sale, it brings lot of calories too, that is useful as long as I manage not to overeat). It’s a weird combo but it seems I tend to overeat very fatty meat. I can eat way more of it than of leaner cuts, it shows even I don’t eat/get satiated according to calories… And I definitely find fattier meats more tempting, that “helps”.

Ghee may work for you, it’s clear, after all, without the tiny carbs and protein in butter. I wouldn’t eat ghee as it loses all its flavor with the non-fat parts (when I made ghee, those parts were so super sweet and tasty :smiley: I made ghee for travel, I had no problem with butter but it spoils easily). But many people loves ghee, hopefully you will too - or the tallow if you choose that. But liking both would be ideal, more variety for you!

Never2late,
I am recently using only tallow and I am about to begin making my own because it is hard to buy tallow in Australia now, due to the campaigns by vegetable oil manufacturers to associate veg oil with good health and animal fats with dire health effects. Lard is still available in supermarkets.

I have avoided lard because I am not sure what the pigs ate that produced it, couldn’t find any that was produced from pigs raised eating grains with no chemicals.

Here tallow is produced from cows that eat grass, so that is all I am cooking with currently.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

In the U.S., at least in my area, they don’t sell tallow, either. You have to buy suet and render out the tallow. But it’s a great cooking fat, once you have it.

(KM) #30

If you find brisket on a good sale (typically around Christmas in US) it’s usually got Slabs of fat on it. I shave mine down before slow roasting because it makes such a mess. Fat chunks go in a Dutch oven and render themselves while the brisket cooks.

KetoRocks1
I am recently using only tallow and I am about to begin making my own because it is hard to buy tallow

It was quite a shock to me to discover how things have changed here on the supply side. I I tried 3 butchers and two supermarkets before finding one butcher who sold me a 350ml jar of Wagyu beef tallow for $35.
I paid before asking the price didn’t realise til I got home and looked at the receipt.
I don’t understand why lard is sold everywhere here but not tallow.
I guess it must boil down to the cost or no demand anymore because everyone has been brainwashed to believe that beef fat will kill them quickly and painfully!

What I want to know is where is all our beef fat going to. And intercept it for my own use.

I have a book entitled “Liver Better Life” written by Dr Paul Gow, an Australian gastroenterologist. It has a whole chapter, chapter 6, on coffee: “Coffee- a true food of the gods”.

Freshly ground beans, filtered coffee, 4 cups a day is protective against fatty liver and liver cancer.

Dr Gow is highly qualified, is a senior consultant liver transplant surgeon at the Austin Hospital in Victoria, Australia and has published more than 150 papers. It’s a great book for anyone who has fatty liver.

I give the book to all my friends who give up coffee for their health.

Hi Marion, in a world of confirmation bias, a whole sea of conflicting information and downright corruption, I am listening to my body above all. What I can say is it is another day of no caffeine, and I am noticing a difference. I am becoming more hydrated, whereas before quitting coffee I was struggling with dehydration. I got up easier yesterday morning and this morning without feeling I was getting up from quicksand. I find a difference just walking up the stairs, my legs no longer feeling so heavy.

When you think about that author you mentioned, think also about how incredibly, incredibly powerful the coffee industry is. And how there is a clear incentive for them (money) to fund ALL research that proves coffee beneficial. Now there are other experts, in some field or other, who go out of their way to prove the opposite, that coffee is not so much a beneficial neuro stimulant as a neuro toxin that not only alters the brain chemistry, but causes inflammation here and there and everywhere. There are more and more people out there quitting coffee and caffeine who say they are feeling so much better. And what are their incentives? Money?

When I read Dr. Malcom Kendrick’s blog, it was an eye opener as to what kind of research papers are actually published. Any research that goes against mainstream knowledge, or against huge companies’ profits will be incredibly difficult to get approved, will go through hard scrutiny, if approved at all. Dr. Kendrick with regards to cholesterol had to fight to get his research papers published, and all his papers were scrutinised. Now I can well imagine how anyone who would want to publish research papers on say, the more detrimental effects of consuming coffee everyday as opposed to the beneficial (if there are any), would (1) not find anyone to fund such research and (2) would have their research papers immensely scrutinised, if approved at all. Whilst anyone who wanted to prove coffee and caffeine beneficial, on the other hand, would get funded without question and published without question and scrutiny because it is in the coffee companies’ interest we continue to think drinking coffee is healthy. There is a massive incentive on their part. Now who is right? Which of all these experts have the answer? Perhaps the answer is that noone ultimately knows.

Yet if coffee and caffeine is so healthy, what then is the problem with quitting it for just a time and seeing how one’s body feels? Because you never know what your body will reveal until you quit. And if there’s absolutely no difference, then you can start drinking it again. But to persuade people from stopping drinking coffee? Think again of the huge, huge incentive behind such advice.

Of course, a lot of people can’t afford to buy organic coffee, or have neither the time nor inclination to aquire fresh coffee beans which they will ground themselves, most people will be buying just any coffee available to them in a supermarket, which has been altered, is full of pesticides and additional chemicals, so one may very well question the benefits they’d be getting from these generic coffees.

Because there is so much conflicting information out there, and my God how we are all wading in a sea of confirmation bias, I am going to continue my N=1 experiment, and see how my body continues to feel now coffee and caffeine free.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

There are two large supermarkets in my area. One has stopped doing its own butchering, so they use a wholesaler for their meat processing. The other one still does their own butchering, so they sell the trimmed fat at a ridiculously low price to anyone who asks for it.

Fantastic!