Glycine supplementation re: lastest podcast

(Boston_guy) #41

I had an acute knee injury (tendonitis) from sprinting that was pretty painful. I’ve been taking glycine for a week and it has healed rapidly. Suspect it’s helping with Collagen regrowth.
Other subjective impressions: sleeping better, better hair and skin, feel a lot more “solid” and muscular.

(Kathy L) #42

How does one know they have this mutation?

Genetic testing.

(Andy Rubie) #44

His video experiment is wildly unscientific and he jumps to strong conclusions without thinking them through. Glycine supplementation increases my ketone levels alot. Consistently.

(Kate) #45

This makes me think I need to try glycine. I’ve battled severe tendonitis in my foot for months. I’ll do just about anything to help it and get me to the point where I can stop taking regular doses of anti-inflammatory meds.

My husband and I have been doing glycine for two weeks now. I think it’s too soon to know if it’s made any difference on weight loss, but we’ve both noticed less pain on some chronic problems, so that might represent less inflammation.

(CharleyD) #47

Oh heck yeah. It can’t hurt. Give it a shot!

Anecdotally, I’ve had a left hip joint and right knee which get achy during the stretching I do prior to taekwondo classes and they get aggravated during the warm ups. They’ve been silent over the past week. I’ve also upped the Utz pork rinds, sparribs and bone broth as well over the past few weeks, so it’s hard to identify which intervention helped the most in my shotgun approach.

I started taking glycine a few days ago. After drinking my coffee and glycine this morning I reread this thread and realized my memory stinks. I’ve been taking a heaping tablespoon per day instead of a scant teaspoon, lol. Oh well, triple the dose hasn’t killed me. At least my bag of glycine will last a lot longer than I originally predicted. Note to self double check these things before plowing ahead.

(Liz) #49

Hey guys. Been taking glycine for about 3 weeks now and have noticed that my blood sugar reading which was consistently sitting between 4 - 5 mmol/L, has increased. My diet is still strictly keto. Since taking the glycine, my average is now 7 - 7.5mmol/L. No change in weight. Not measuring ketones. I’m sticking with it as the benefits I’ve read about seem so positive. Curious to know if anyone else has had elevated blood sugar readings since starting glycine?

That seems pretty high… If you don’t get replies on here, you might want to start another thread about this.

(Liz) #51

Thanks Madeleine :slight_smile:

(Jeannie Oliver) #52

(Therese), tmcknzld, not to hijack the thread, I would like to know more about your experience getting off HRT. I am stopping HRT after being keto since January 2.

(T) #53

I have read and had confirmed that it must be done gradually. Which I am doing. Over 6 months. But there is so much debate about it all that I’m loathed to make recommendations. I desperately need it when I started. I’m in a different space now, physically & mentally, so I hope I can continue weaning with minimal issues.

Just wondering if anyone has any more personal experience with glycine supplementation. I, too, jumped on the bandwagon after hearing the podcast. I’ve been supplementing 500mg at night for about 2 weeks. I’ve noticed a nice bump in ketone levels (as measured with a blood meter), but also a significant rise in blood glucose.

As a long-time endurance athlete, my ketones tend to test low, so I thought I would experiment with glycine to see if I experienced a bump. With the corresponding bump in glucose (up 20+), I’m not sure my ketone increase is worth it. Does anyone know if the extra ketones are worth the glucose rise?

I don’t think it’s worth whatever increase you’re seeing in increased blood ketones if you’re also seeing a blood glucose increase of 20+ mg/dL.

If you’re taking glycine for some other reason (such as rebuilding connective tissue or cartilage), then it might be worthwhile for a short time. However, if that’s your goal, you may want to consider taking a collagen supplement instead. You’ll not only get glycine, but a number of other amino acids as well.

Thank you for the response, Kevin. I will discontinue and hope my BG drops back down. Such a strange response given that glycine seems to be recommended for blood sugar stabilization. Maybe my chemistry is just odd :blush:.

Sorry, I responded and didn’t hit “reply” to you. I’m still learning (apparently, slowly :blush:).

I think my experiment with glycine dropped me out of ketosis. I am rebooting this week and going to try again in the future to see if it happens again. Wondering if this happened to anyone else?

Glycine is the main amino acid component of gelatin, i.e. bone broth. I would think it would be fine to have more than 25 g worth of gelatinated bone broth protein in a day, and people definitely supplement with a lot of trendy “collagen protein” supplements these days!..but maybe that’s better/different than straight glycine because there are other amino acids in there so you’re not totally off-kilter.
Have you ever gone through a period of higher gelatin eating? And notice a change in ketones, if you were measuring?
Straight amino acid powder supplements also will be absorbed super rapidly, not through the digestive system, and depending how slowly you sip your espresso, if you sip it quite slowly most of the powder glycine would be absorbed in your mouth/throat-- and go easily straight to the brain! (like sublingual supplements), Maybe that’s in play with ketone levels also. I don’t know how.

(Chris) #60

Getting cute with supplements here. Eat more meat