Glycine caused sleeplessness

(Melissa ) #1

So I tried glycine to help with sleep - instead of helping me sleep, I was wired. Stared at the ceiling until 3 am. Chris Masterjohn has a post that says those who are affected this way by glycine do better with hydrolyzed collagen. Anyone else have an experience with this?

(Kathryn) #2

I have not used glycine. I use magnesium before bed (most people are deficient in it) and sleep really well. But I do use Great Lakes collagen. I do this daily for healthy skin and think it really helps.

(Kate) #3

I wonder if it triggered something in your HPA axis (cortisol)?

(Melissa ) #4

I use magnesium. Was using magnesium citrate which was working great. Someone told me magnesium glycinate was better, so I switched. Now I think the glycinate may have been the reason I first started not sleeping well! I’m now back on the magnesium citrate, and i’m Hoping that will help.

(Melissa ) #5

I’ll have to check that out.

(Larry) #6

I tried using glycine for five days the first day was about the same but the last four days I averaged about four hours sleep at night absolutely terrible since I stopped taking it my sleep has returned back to between seven and eight hours of good sleep. But in the past when I would take an over-the-counter sleep aid it would wire me also I guess I’m just bass ackwards

(Melissa ) #7

I went back to my magnesium citrate, and my sleep has been pretty good. Fingers crossed.

(CharleyD) #8

Wonder if @richard would like to chime in about if the preferred (was it by Attia on Rhonda Patrick’s podcast maybe?) magnesium supplement magnesium glycinate would count towards supplementing both magnesium and glycine?

And if it we supplement glycine would it be better to step over to mag citrate in that case?

(Miss E) #9

saw something on youtube about how it can either do one or the other depending on the individual. Perhaps you coukd take it during the day rather than just before bed? I find most amino acids perk me up.