Glucosimine

(Mikelong) #1

I’m going to start taking it for wear and tear issues in my knees and elbows. The root word is “glucose” so I’m wondering if it has a sugar effect?..OK or not OK for Keto?

Glucosamine Chondrotin?

Assume you mean Glucosamine.

According to Dr Wikipedia, it’s an Amino Sugar, whatever that means.

Quick google turned this up: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=610970#post610970

Glucosamine should be used with extreme caution by diabetics and persons with blood sugar or insulin resistance problems. Studies suggest that it can even increase the likelihood of developing insulin resistance in persons with normal blood sugars.

Dunno, make of that what you will.

I’d say if you need it to help you move, keep taking it.

(Mikelong) #3

Still have trouble seeing the phone when I type, spell fail. I read up on the Mayo clinic site, figured it was sound. I have been keto since may and am on the cusp of 100lbs loss, just came over from 2KD, was looking to see if anyone else has been taking it before I start. I stopped the injectors to the knees because the cortisone was spiking my insulin big time and I’ve been at this long enough to know that real life experience is good info, Google can lead to more questions than answers , like sweeteners. Thanks for the input my friend, this was my first attempt here in this setting, going to miss the FB format, but change is good.

I’m glad they’ve moved away from Facebook. I was never a member of this group on Facebook, but am member on a couple of others, and I’m really starting to tire of Facebook. Forums are closer to the “social media” which I’m used to, but maybe I’m showing my age!

Good luck on your journey!

(Dave) #5

Are you trying to grow more cartilage?

(Mikelong) #6

Mostly for joint pain, I have arthritis (age 47), and had to stop cortisone injections (insulin spikes), and I’m sure when the DR said I have bone on bone issues in the knees as well I should try taking this, however they don’t know much about how Keto is affected by supplements, wondering if anyone has been using it.

(Jacquie) #7

I worked at a rheumatology tertiary care outpatient centre for many years. I heard mixed anecdotal reviews from patients and hope it works for you. Here’s what some of the research shows.This first study was done by some of our Drs. in Vancouver.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/art.20697/full

Here’s another from the NIH. Also, there are more recent international studies that seem to show similar results. Hope this is helpful.

(Jo Lo) #8

We are older runners, and have taken glucosamine for about 6 years. About one year ago we decided to stop, wondering if it was effective and looking at the cost (we buy the Wellesse brand at Costco). So within a week or two after stopping both of our knees began hurting.

So that was all we needed to know. We started up again and plan to stay on it.

(Jacquie) #9

Glad to hear it worked for you.:slight_smile:

(Mikelong) #10

I was really more concerned about it throwing us out of Ketosis, I know I need new knees, lol, but I am protecting the almost 100lb weight loss, don’t want to hit a stall from a supplement that might spike my blood sugar

(Jacquie) #11

The only way to know for sure, is to take the glucosamine and test your BG/ketones regularly. I don’t think any of us can say for sure that it will or won’t spike your BG. The Mayo Clinic site says that it won’t but…:wink:

(Crow T. Robot) #12

have you tried bone broth?

http://fatburningman.com/dr-cate-shanahan-why-kobe-bryant-drinks-bone-broth/

(Tom) #13

Just wondering how it went. I’ve also been recommended glucosamine for knees, noted the root of the word might contain a clue, and thought I’d check out what people thought of its effect or otherwise on Ketosis here before taking some. What did you end up doing?

(Rob) #14

This was a year ago… maybe read up on/listen to this for joint support?

(Tom) #15

Yup I realise that. It was the first search result on this site and I thought what better than asking about someone else’s year long n=1 experiment!

Thanks for the link though. I have listened to that but will do so again more carefully. What’s the relationship between glucosamine and glycine?

(Rob) #16

Your knees are the connection :grin:

(Mikelong) #17

I heard people say it wasn’t that effective for the knee problems I have, LOL loose weight they said…I never took it.

(Tom) #18

Interesting, thanks