Glucose x insulin x ketones

science

(Juliana Szabluk) #1

I`ve been tracking dozens of ketone and glucose levels for a year, since I work as a nutrition consultant. What I see is pretty confusing: strange relation between glucose and ketones.

Everytime I search this topic, this relation is pretty well stablished, but I’m going to share some data that puzzles me.

Myself, for instance:
Today, glucose 54, ketones 0,6
Last week: glucose 72, ketones, 1,0
The week before the last: glucose, 72, ketones 1,6

These are just basic examples for what I’ve been getting in the last two years. My highest glucose was 72 in two years. My normal is 60. I always measure in a fasted state, before lunch, at 2pm. I don’t fast, I only skip breakfast. In sum, glucose levels don’t predict higher ketone numbers for me. And my insulin is perfectly normal. I’ve tested it many times, always normal. 4,9 HbA1c, very normal too.

Another thing: my clients have higher glucose levels AND higher ketone levels.

For instance: glucose 84, ketones 3,2. Glucose 79, ketones, 2,5.

Questions:
Am I having too much insulinemic foods that don’t impact glucose (meat?) I’m cutting meat down to half and not seeing great impact, but I’m on PMS and PMS kicks me out of ketosis, so it’s not a great time to take any conclusions. I’m not a huge meat consumer and my protein is within moderate range.

Is stress getting me? My cortisol is normal, but maybe stress is affecting me through unknown mechanisms.

Are there any other hormones that change these numbers? Since I’m gradually getting kicked out of ketosis 15 days a month (from ovulation until period), like so many other women and no one can explain this phenomenon, maybe there are female hormonal changes at stake.

Is it insulin? What other factors affect insulin than glucose or cortisol?

I’m even more puzzled after seeing a study that showed that MCT oils increase ketones AND insulin. Man, I’m totally lost here.

Does anybody have a clue?Texto pré-formatado

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

You may find this of interest:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Benjamin Bikman claims that his research shows that the insulinogenic effect of protein varies with the amount of carbohydrate in the diet. In a high-carb diet, the more protein, the higher the insulin response, and thus ketogenesis is inhibited. In a low-carb diet, the quantity of protein has an effect on insulin, but there is a matching effect on glucagon, so that the insulin/glucagon remains low and unchanged, and there is no effect on ketogenesis.

Even though you are measuring serum glucose and serum β-hydroxybutyrate, the real question is what serum insulin is doing. Unfortunately, no one has developed a home insulin monitor yet. And forget about glucagon.

(Juliana Szabluk) #4

I went to ketocarnivore (only fats and protein) to a high fiber green keto (20g net carbs a day) and the pattern is the same, which matches Kossoff’s saying, “there’s no benefit in going under 15g net carbs a day when it comes down to ketones”. After all, there’s no high carb load with protein in a truly keto plan. Yesterday, two days before my period, the most puzzling thing happened: highest glucose peak in two years and higher ketosis. 82 glucose, 1,0 mmol/l ketones. As I said, a few days before that, 54 glucose, 0,6 ketones.

I’m suspecting carnitine issues here, or other hormonal changes no one knows about, because my insulin is perfect ever since I reversed my diabetes with low carb, a decade ago. But I agree with you: an insulin home meter would be a dream come true.