Glucose Peak/Spike After 2 Hours

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #1

I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing peaks more than 2 hours after eating. Last night I had a chicken (cooked w/ spices and some sundried tomatoes - I only had 1 piece and about 2 cherry tomatoes in my salad), and some broccoli w/ cheese and bacon bits, and a salad w/ Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing. I’d guess that I was under 50g of protein. My glucose was fairly stable from before I ate to right about 2 hours after (9-11). I can’t think of anything that would make my glucose spike up to 102. The main measurements were taken using my CGM.n

My glucose stayed on the higher side (for me) all night. I did sleep well, so it stayed fairly stable between 85 and 90ish. So, now its going up a bit, because well…that’s what it does in the morning.

I am thinking of doing some exercise (jump rope) to burn it down…and a fast to bring my numbers back down.

(Bunny) #2

Could be the tomatoes?

I’m not sure at the moment but those sun dried tomato’s are really carby and sugary?

How long did that spike last?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

I don’t think it was the tomatoes, as I’ve had them before and haven’t noticed any spikes like that. I’m more concerned with why its happening after the 2 hour mark.

The blue line above ends just before bed, so the red line (below) starts when I went to bed, basically continuing from the blue. It seemed to stay up about 30 minutes (that’s how long it took from rising to start going back down).

(hottie turned hag) #4

Are you still taking any dexa? You know how that’ll mess with your glucose.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

No, that was only the first week. It was only the day of chemo (on the 8th, and not since then), not an ongoing thing. If I was still taking dexamethasone that would explain things.

(Bob M) #6

Exercise often causes my blood sugar to go up, not down.

I’ve never seen a spike like that one.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #7

T1 diabetes here - I find if I have a lot of protein in my evening meal (alongside lots of fat), OR a carbier meal (again alongside lots of fat) I get a spike at 2am onwards and a higher number than I’d like in the morning.

Fat is great - BUT in my experience it sloooooows down the effect of carbs or protein-without-carbs - so when the fat wears off (in my case at about 2am) it then bites me on the a**.

I have a daily 2am alarm set to scan my Libre and tweak my insulin pump for this very reason.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #8

To clarify my first reply - it’s not the fat that is causing my spike, in my experience. It’s the wearing-off of the delaying effect of the fat ON the spike that is making my spike come later.

If I have a very creamy pudding after a huge buttery rib-eye steak and not much else, that is what happens to me.

(Bob M) #9

That all makes sense. I’m not sure how much it applies to us non-T1s though. At least for me (normal insulin and glucagon), I don’t get an effect like that.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #10

I feel fortunate in some respects that because I have absolutely zero endogenous insulin and because I know exactly both my carb count and the amount of insulin I’ve taken, I’m in a fairly good position - on a normal day - to be able to identify patterns like this with my diabetes gadgetry!

(Much harder if I’ve been exercising though, or not 100% well, or hormonal - but still, easier to predict patterns on a ‘normal’ day.)

In non-T1s though, I guess it’s harder to isolate the influencing conditions, given that the pancreas is still doing its stuff (or some of it).

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #11

I’m at the point where its about time to change the sensor on my CGM (FreeStyle Libre).
I’m wondering how accurate this one has been the last few days…

Time ISF Glucose
T0 85 71
T12 100 83
T15.5 92 84

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

@ctviggen,

Since you say its “impossible to eat too much protein,” I’d like to get your take on this podcast from the 2Dudes.

Starting around the 26:45 mark.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #13

I’m starting to think that the sensor was founded up. Maybe wearing it during the DEXA scan did something. The scan was on the 14th and nothing seemed off. Chemo was on the 15th, so I expected some “wonky” numbers.

My last readings (ISF/BG)
old sensor: 84/74

One hour later…
New sensor: 78/73, 73/x, 71/x, 70/x
X indicates no blood reading

(Jim) #14

My cardiologist did a 5 hour Glucose Tolerance Test.
Fasting: 98 mg
1/2 hour: 151 mg
1 hour: 102 mg
2 hour: 64 mg
3 hour: 74 mg
4 hour: 77 mg
5 hour: 81 mg.

I’ve been Keto for 3 years.

The chart looks like a Kraft Pattern 1, but the doctor is concerned by the high reading at the half hour test. Has anyone else had this kind of result? I thought I read somewhere, when you are on Keto, getting that much glucose at once can cause some high readings. Anyone else seen this kind of result?

(mole person) #15

Yes. If you’ve been fat adapted for several months your body is now in adaptive glucose sparing. This means that many of the cells in your body do not take up glucose the way they used to, instead preserving the glucose for the cells that must have it while themselves taking on fatty acids and ketones for their energy sources. This means that when you suddenly get a high load of glucose (eg. The glucose tolerance test) your blood is flooded with glucose that your cells are essentially rejecting and can look diabetic. However this fact is undone in just a few days of eating normal SAD glucose levels and does not represent any actual metabolic disfunction.

(Jenna Ericson) #16

I was just reading the earlier posts on this thread and had kind of a crazy theory about what was causing your delayed glucose spike, @KetoCancerMom. I’m wondering if it was the PUFAs in the chicken that were causing a blood sugar spike that long after a meal. Fat takes longer to digest than carbs, hence the delayed reaction. It’s my understanding that PUFAs will demand more insulin than other types of fat. If PUFAs demand more insulin, that could cause that dip that you see in the graph before the rise. I assume the following rise in blood sugar is your body’s response to your blood sugar going low.

@KetoSnaps, I would be interested to know if you’ve noticed a difference between how much insulin you need when eating say chicken wings vs. beef with similar amounts of protein.