General advice needed

(TJ Borden) #21

I agree. It’s right at the top with don’t eat yellow snow.

(Alec) #22

It’s really funny, I have been working for food companies my whole life, including bread, snacks, grain, confectionery, edible oils (yes, the real crap stuff), and now I have ended up at a cheese company. When I first joined the cheese company I thought: “oh my, how am I going to work for a company that makes food that’s bad for people?”

Now I learn about keto, and it is: “how on earth did I not know about the badness of bread, snacks, grain, confectionery and edible oils?”

I am now working in the health food business ie cheese! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::joy::joy: I am trying to convince the leaders of our business to explain the health benefits of high fat, but they are very reluctant because of the clash with CW… “it just sounds wrong!”
Cheers
Alec

(Stacy) #23

I think you are right on the money and I thank you for your thoughts.

I posted the original post at the request of someone else on this site. In fact, he/she changed the name of the post from “As requested by username” to “General Advice Needed”. He/she had asked me on another topic to go to newbies and post my stats and give an example of what I eat. So, sorry if I sound a bit peevish but I am unemployed (that’s right, homeless and jobless :slight_smile: ) and can not seem to get through the days without the flavored water and the sweets every couple of days. Sitting in front of a computer all day looking for jobs when I quit smoking in January… its killing me.

I do believe my tastebuds have been hijacked…(!).
I hope to become one of you ardent believers, but I know me and I am “not ready” to make all of those changes.

How about I change the Crystal Light to Iced Tea?

(Jerrett Scott) #24

Love it!!! Bacon juice!!! My new term for life!!!

If you’ve still refrained from smoking despite the current stress you’re under, you deserve a medal just for that. :slight_smile:

Basic iced tea is totally fine, check the ingredients and make sure it’s just brewed tea without any additives, or make it yourself. Most people can even use sweetener and be okay. You may want to stay away from pre-sweetened iced teas though, depends what’s in it.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #26

Thanks for that little tip. I’m really crap with sauces and this sounds great for salads :slight_smile:

(Jay AM) #27

I thank you for making the original post and apologize that I haven’t been able to get to working with you. I wanted the collective forum wisdom to become available to you on a personal post because, I am one person out of many. Unfortunately with a forum, there are always people that don’t quite see the whole picture. I am a semi truck driver and my schedule is on the sillier side this week. I’m actually supposed to be asleep right now but wanted to come in and do a post. I completely understand everything cooked in a microwave as, for me, I live life on fast food and microwaves and cold stuff. I don’t have space to cook and don’t have an oven or stove. Keto isn’t about some ultra perfection, it’s about doing what we can with what we have and making it work. You’ve been given some good advice so far from a couple people. Iced tea that you make yourself or that comes unsweetened and you add sweetener to is a great option. I make ketoaide for myself with lite salt, salt, koolaid packet, and stevia. Agree about ditching the candy. Now, I’m not saying ditch sweets. You can make mug cakes, chocolate fat bombs (cocoa powder/melted chocolate, coconut oil, sweetener, freeze.), have pieces of high percentage chocolate bars. I’m saying ditch maltitol. It’s one of those sweeteners that is just bad for everyone because it causes glucose problems. As for egg beaters, I used to use them but actually found that whole eggs were a lot cheaper. You can definitely make microwave scrambled eggs and cheese with whole eggs. I used to do it all the time.

One thing I didn’t see was your electrolyte intake. Cases of fatigue are usually a couple things. Low calories/fat, low overall electrolytes, low sodium, constantly raised insulin because of insulin resistance and high blood glucose that makes it too hard to use ketones efficiently. The electrolytes are sodium, potassium, magnesium. Do you have any idea how your intake looks of these 3? Sodium tends to be the one that people haven’t gotten enough of and it’s the most closely tied to energy. If you add salt already, good. See if getting more helps. I know this sort of initial stage troubleshooting can be hit and miss but, once we figure it out, it falls into place rather quickly from there.

Regarding unemployment, though you didn’t ask, if you’ve ever even briefly thought of being a truck driver, I can answer questions regarding that. It got me out of my personal financial struggle years ago. Plus, I live in my truck so it’s a rent free bed and job all in one. And, it’s definitely not as difficult as it looks.

I’m going to add more to this post after work as I just read your extra post.

Be careful with the Hormel pepperoni slices. They give me headaches from the nitrates in them. Wow, 8 cans of Diet Dr.Pepper, glad to see you stopped as of yesterday.

Good Luck!

(Stacy) #29

Hey J_A-M,

Thank your for your considered post. I owe an apology to the group - for not reading through the site and getting a flavor for what its purpose is. I now see that Newbie forum is where folks who are new put down their typical WOE and others share tips and advice. So, sorry for not doing that and getting defensive.

Since the WEIGHT of the opinion is so strongly against the SF candy w/ malitol - I have decided to d/c them. I went to the store and bought all of my new keto foods and spent around $200. My room has everything but an oven. I don’t want to make tea, so the next question is what about those flavored waters you squirt in water?

Thanks for your concern over my joblessness. I am a nurse and can work anytime I want however much I want… But, I am a nurse in license only. I hate nursing - looking for a sales job. Was a drug rep for 25 years.

Now for my big reveal: I wanted to impress all y’all on my meal today:

Brussel Sprouts w/ bacon, shallots, and 2 T BUTTER
Protein 7.5g, Fat 6g, Carb 9g, Calories 135

Lastly, a question:

1. what is this app:

Looks yummy!

(Stacy) #31

Oops I got the count wrong on the fat and calories - I didn’t add the butter in to the break down -

(Stacy) #32

Thank you Omaha Steaks. I bought a bunch of Ribeyes there yesterday

(LeeAnn Brooks) #33

Whats wrong with eggbeaters?

Eggbeaters are made with the egg whites. The fat is in the yokes. You’re basically de-Ketoing a perfect Keto food. You can scrampble whole eggs and cook in microwave, add cheese and precooked bacon or real bacon bits and you have a super easy Keto friendly meal. Extra bonus for adding a tablespoon of butter to it. The real stuff though. No pretend butter wanna-be’s.

(Alec) #34

That looks fantastic, I am gonna make something like that. But I think I need the Brussels swimming in hollondaise… mmmmmmm…

(Jay AM) #35

Some people are more susceptible to nitrites that are in foods as a color preserver and microorganism prohibiter. You probably didn’t experience the problems when you ate fruits or vegetables because of vitamin C. You could consider supplementation of vitamin C for the nitrite issue. I’ll leave an article below.

Thank you for this information. I will increase vitamin c. That’s what I love about this site…very informative.

(Jay AM) #37

Some people use Mio for example. I went the cheaper (and stronger flavor) route for me with the koolaid packs and stevia. The crystal light packs, water drops, etc are all about the same. Yes, they are similar ingredients to diet soda. But, we have people here who do drink diet drinks just fine. If you’re just getting a couple times a day, I wouldn’t be concerned. You could cold brew tea overnight too which is pretty easy if you want tea.

Don’t worry about apologizing. I like when people struggling make their own thread because you can always come back to this thread, provide updates, ask more questions and you will be able to get any help you need. Along with having access to this forum filled with other questions. And, your Brussels sprouts look delicious. I only started eating brussels on keto so, it’s interesting what I missed. I always loved cabbage and they are like little tasty cabbages.

I didn’t mean to make a big deal about you starting this topic either so, I also apologize. I just wanted you to have access to more focused information. How is that salt intake doing?

watch this youtube video about artificial sweeteners. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw&t=847s they test their blood sugar after eating different sweeteners. Stay away from zylitol for sure. There are lots of healthy foods on keto that you don’t have to cook. Look up some salad recipes, there are TONS! You can also buy precooked protein like shrimp, canned tuna, canned salmon, etc. that are very high in protein and fat. You said you don’t care about the nutritional content of egg beaters but the whole point of being on keto is that you DO care about nutrutional content. Diet soda may not spike blood sugar, but it keeps you craving sweets. If you want to change your eating habits and lifestyle and get results, you have to make some changes. You can’t expect to keep doing things the same way you’ve always done them (not cooking, drinking soda, refusing to do this or that) and expect any diet you try to be effective. You don’t need to go strict keto from day 1. Try making small changes, one at a time. Don’t be too harsh on yourself with the struggle to make changes. It’s taken you how many years to get to where you are by doing the things you have done and it’s gonna take some time to make significant changes, it’s not going to happen overnight. I have the opposite problem that you have, I love too many recipes with high fat. I have no problem reaching my fat macro and need to stick to my daily meal plan in order to keep from going over on fats. I’ve had to start planning out my snacks ahead of time so that I know exactly what I’m eating and how much.

(Jane) #39

I use stevia and also drink things with artificial sweeteners in them. Never been diabetic so don’t worry about blood sugar numbers. Doesn’t cause cravings since I have never craved sweets. N=1

Years ago I broke my DH of the habit of buying me chocolate for Valentine’s Day and have it still sitting on the counter 6 months later untouched.

Give me a bag of potato chips and I will inhale the whole thing!!! But not anymore. Even my cravings for salty carbs is diminished these days.
`

I use stevia extract also. No cravings for sweets or carbs. Everyone is different. Keto over one year.