Geeks on keto

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #161

It is to my eternal shame that when I read “Captain Jack” my first thought was of Sparrow, not of Harkness. :blush::cry:

(Consensus is Politics) #162

I didnt even think of him when I asked that. But im more Sci-fi than, whatever the pirate movies would be classified as. Fantasy?

(Consensus is Politics) #163

For those of you that enjoy correcting people on the internet, have you heard of Quora? It’s worth looking at, but plenty of trolls there.

https://www.quora.com/Which-foods-can-you-eat-a-lot-without-putting-on-a-lot-of-weight-or-becoming-fat-obese-overweight?ch=10&share=27031cb0&srid=3DnUf

(Consensus is Politics) #164

I was riding my stationary bike and wanted to go dor an hour. Stationary bike = boring as hell. So i did some tunneling through YouTube and found this. I time coded to a somewhat relevant point about health. More specifically medical studies. Its not about anything medical at all, but what he says after his similar study to show the probabilities, I think you will agree its worth the effort to hear this. Especially sharing it with people that beleive every study, because well, it was a study. :woozy_face:

I watched the entire thing, maintaining my stride. Its well worth watching the entire thing.

If my time code doest work, it should be located at 41 minutes and 21 seconds.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #165

Matt’s a lot of fun. He has a whole YouTube channel of great stuff. He and a couple of friends (Steve Mould is one of them) do math comedy gigs.

One of my favorites of his silly jokes: “There are 10 types of people—those who understand binary, and those who don’t.”

(Little Miss Scare-All) #166

Awwwwww yeahhhhhh. I’m not an Apple girl at all. I actually hate Apple, BUT, the Apple IIe will always have a special place in my heart. I would play the crap out of this one game, I dont recall the name because I was really young then, had to be like 1988. It was hangman, and when you’d win, you’d launch a rocket into space lol. Then of course there was Oregon Trail, which I loved to kill my characters just so I could personalize tomb stones with crude quotes.

But then I graduated to a Commie 64 <3 Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

I knew I liked you for some reason. :slight_smile:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#redefinethegoal

(Consensus is Politics) #168

As far as Im concerned, Apple died when it disontinued the Apple II line. The 6502 was known as the dream machine for a reason. There were ways to boost performance on it, but Jobs really wanted to push the mac. To me, the mac is an anathema. I loved the Apple II line.

Apple II infinitum.

(Consensus is Politics) #169

Wow. And the sheeple… I mean people… continue to use Facebook? Before I rant about the latest news, here is a quick story why I dont. Centralized private and public information about myself and friends and family with no one being held responsible for the data when it gets loose. WHEN… not IF… Murphy’s Law. If it can happen, it will (with my appended…) and at the worst possible moment. This is why computers dont fly out passenger jets, or why we dont have self driving cars. [I know, too late Bob, uber has already killed a pedestrian and Airbus has already lost at least one aircraft full of passengers. Thereby proving Murphy’s Law.

My personal, yet short FB story. I help a lot of people with their computers. Occasionally that leads me to helping some non-tech person learn how to use FB. I didnt have an account, and I stood a good chance and getting a semi-permanent gig helping the elderly learn how to use FB to keep contact with their loving family that signed them up for a life membership at Shady Pines. Problem. I didnt have FB. Blind lead the blind? Not on my watch.

So I signed up for FB from my iphone. Do note… this was using the web app, not NOT the FB App. Even though it prompted me dozens of times to download it I refused. An hour or so later, here is what happened, in no particular order…

Refused to use assumed names. It would not let me sign up as John Smith, Tony Danza, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, yet indeed Robert Johnson worked. Personal experience, if John Smith is suspect… then so is my name :roll_eyes:.

Adds, adds, and more obnoxious adds. I couldnt use my iphones internet connection for the pure number of incoming add windows popping up/under/behind/beside/overlayed. If an add could do something obnoxious it was doing times 10 per second. That took another good half hour to work out. I had to install an add blocker on my iphone to be able to use the device at all.

I soon received an email from my Mother. “Why havnt you friended me on FB? I got your email that you signed up!” Oi Vey :man_facepalming:t2:. Mom, I sent no email, and I dont use FB. Over the next several minutes more FB messages began popping up concerning people I knew that received emails from me about FB.

FB took it upon themselves to help themselves to my contact list and send out notifications to EVERYONE by any means necessary (email, text, FB msg) that I was on FB, come join me! Its so fun! :man_facepalming:t2: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I tried to delete the account. Took me about 30 minutes to find anything on their website about canceling/temoving/deleting my account. There were no links that led to anything named in any way familiar. I resorted to doing a google search for it. That was eye opening. What I was looking for was burried within thousands of comments from other people having the exact same issue :thinking:

So I said ‘F’ this. Removed everything in the account I could and abandoned it. Sent a nasty email to FB about deleting it. They never did. Im still getting emails from my Mom about friending her (she claims she doesnt send any, I beleive her).

Turns out several months ago, FB was trying to tighten up on their security. Devs at FB contacted their users. Told them that for security reasons they needed to verify their email password to the email account they signed up with. They said this was to verify they held that email account.

About 1,500,000 users did as was asked and gave them their email password! :exploding_head:

Now, FB was true to their word about using it for security purposes. To do so they then accessed all of those email accounts to be sure they did indeed guve the correct passwords. :scream: AND SINCE THEY WERE ALREADY IN THERE… went ahead and backed up their contacts for them. Just to keep them safe. You know, because FB wouldnt do anything shady like sell your information to high bidders, again… :man_facepalming:t2:

(Bunny) #170

Lol… Nassim Haramein talks about wave function and consciousness and things surrounding an object giving off waves effecting an observable condition creating variables and canceling out other possible variabilities as to the outcome, thus objects are interconnected in nature by “…tiny worm holes…” in space but not in time, so what one person observes is due to their presence or conscious awareness that creates an interference pattern or the observed shadow of past interference patterns. So that may explain what a proton actually is, maybe it is units of interconnected photons of energy that function like tiny interconnected worm holes that intersect inside the proton (that only appear to be solid mass but are halos of radiation and we are on the other end observing the resonance of physical motion and at the same time part of it?) and are confined in a tesseract skeleton that pulsates much like how the human heart beats? You may not physically separate anything in nature that originated from any source, so time is only an observable discontinuation of consciousness created by a shadow like hologram of the previous observations?

Lol :joy::rofl::joy::sweat_smile::joy::rofl::joy::sweat_smile::laughing:

Since this thread was revived, pardon me while I geek rant about Star Trek for the next ten minutes, because a coworker and I got into an argument about this last week.

I keep always hearing geeks argue over and over about “Who’s the best Star Trek Captain: Kirk or Picard?” Where’s the respect for Mr. Space Moses himself, Captain Benjamin effing Sisko? Where is he in this great debate, because, tho I love Picard, never was there a greater captain than Sisko.

This man never failed to stand up for what was right, whether it meant standing up to the Cardassians, the Bajorans, the Dominion, or even the Federation itself. He knew when to administer tough love, but also when to give compassion. He knew when to get his hands dirty, and to take responsibility for his actions, to never ask his friends to do something he wouldn’t do himself. He was fantastic with children, especially with his son Jake. He carried himself with confidence, but he didn’t have to be a stoic, he was allowed to experience all of the emotions, to be a fully-developed and flawed character.

Nothing but respect for my favorite Captain.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #172

Who was that character that Captain Sisko had to keep restraining from killing Kardashians?

(Consensus is Politics) #173

I beleive that was (his first officer or B’joran Liaison) Kira. She had no love for them.

(Consensus is Politics) #174

Indeed, Sisko was a good Captain. Would have been good to see him with his own ship. On station he was more of a politician. Not to mention that he B’jorans saw him in a religious light because of the beings living in the wormhole.

Speaking of Trek in general. I wonder whatever happened to the series that was supposed to spawn out of those TNG spin offs… “Starfleet” I think it going to be called?

(Consensus is Politics) #175

Ahh… and since like a hologram, every portion of it contains all of the information as the whole (too simplified?) it could be an ever expanding sphere, where within a new sphere would pop into existence replicating the first, but with slight deviations, and as that one expands with the previous another inside it pops into existence slightly different from the second (then so and so forth, layered like an onion). The reality of existence being our 3D space or universe is actually located on the 2D surface of this sphere as a hologram giving the illusion of 3D. :exploding_head:

(Consensus is Politics) #176

I had a rolling good laugh from this guy. He has done more than one Ted Talk about this.

(Consensus is Politics) #177

There was a sci-fi TV show in 2002 or so. Odyssey 5, only did a partial season, 19 episode I think. It started off really strong but jumped the shark about midway through. Something to do with the aliens just didnt make sense, seemed to contrived, forced if you will.

But the reason I bring it up is Twitter. This show was the first time I heard of Twitter. Before Twitter was created. One of the episodes takes place in a high school. There is a pair of kids, Bill and Ted like, that created something with their computer that they called… The Twitternet. :flushed: