Gaining Weight on Keto diet ? Why?

newbies

(Tim ) #21

I just went through this.
My situation was that I was only trying to stay under the 20g daily carbs and not making sure I was getting the fat. Basically what you need to do in my opening is overwhelm you body with good fat. 70% of your daily intake or more. What helped me was to start counting the fat and watching the carbs BEFORE I ate the meal. Make sure you get enough fat! You are switching your body from running on carbs ( sugar ) by basically not giving it any more and supplying it with fat as fuel. Eventually it will adapt to the fat as fuel.
Also I would say in the beginning stay away from the fancy meals and deserts as much as possable, like everyone has been saying lots of hidden carbs. Also keeping the ingredients to a minimum makes the carb and fat counting easier.
As far as snacking or feeling hungry I eat a big spoonful of coconut oil that will kill hunger for a while or a nice chunk of cream cheese . Fat bombs also help. Good luck. You will know your are on track when you get the flu and you start to feelore energy after the flu. The flue form me was like a hangover for about 3 days.

(Meeping up the Science!) #22

Iā€™d suggest eating plain meat and minimal vegetables for two weeks, carefully equalling 20g total carbs (not net) daily.

If you are unwilling (or unable) to do that, consider doing:

1. Eliminate all desserts and sweet flavors. Some people, justly or not, get insulin spikes from sweeteners.
  2. Eliminate all fast food, as you cannot control carb content eating out.
  3. Skip lime juice - it has carbs.
  4. Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese has trivial carbs.
  5. Beware of spices. Many spices (garlic and onion powder) have carbs.
  6. If youā€™d rather not do 1-5, at least use MyFitnessPal or something else to track your carbs. Disregard the macros and look at carb counts. Dairy, almond flour, and cheese all have carbohydrate in many cases. So does pesto sauce.

You are eating some high carb stuff, though. For instance, sun dried tomatoes have a ton of carbs if you eat more than a very small (think like an itty bitty 1cm big piece) amount of them.

Iā€™m not seeing any mention of your sex, age, current weight, which will all nbe serious factors to what you need and can get away with.

That is a lot of food, protien, you say you are eating two meals but then adding sense desserts and Halo Top, high in carbs and I believe has whey, which can really spike insulin.

Remove all the sweeteners, desserts, fast foods, figure a macro range and start calculating.

A large 350lb man might bee able to get away with that, if not sedentary, but otherwise, too much and not in the right ratios.

(Mark) #24

Just an idea or another strategy you could experiment with is, just keep it real simple ,skip breakfast or have a bulletproof coffee to get some fat in then eat nothing but uncured Bacon and pastured eggs for lunch and dinner for as many days as you feel you can eat that way,take some hard-boiled eggs and some Bacon for lunch,then have breakfast for dinner, eat as many eggs and bacon to fill you up,then later on reintroduce the different recipeā€™s and treats, thatā€™s what I did and seems to have worked pretty well,I know it sounds boring,but you will get some good nutrition from the eggs and the bacon will help get you in ketosis,and will fill you up to help with cravings,good luck

(Amer R) #25

Its super difficult to stay at 20g of carbs.

I am a male, 6,1 and was 224 pounds, now after starting keto, I gained 7 pounds. I am now 231. I have changed my diet a bit.

I am eating the following:
Breakfast: - 4 eggs with mozzarella cheese (a hand full), and 2 tablespoons of butter. sometimes I add mushrooms with my eggs.

Lunch - Grilled Chicken with mushrooms and cream. Sometimes if i dont have lunch, I go to 5 guys and get a cheeseburger with no bun with mushrooms, onions, green peppers and jalapeno with mayo. I also eat 5 guys peanuts.

Dinner: 4 eggs with mozzarella cheese and butter.

dessert: Keto mug cake from Ruled.me website. But What I do different is add liquid heavy cream to my cake instead of whipping it. I like it liquidy. About 4 to 5 table spoons of Heavy cream.

I did get headaches last week twice last week.

The keto stix I have been using are all failures or duds.

I am getting a weird feeling. I am eating, scale is going up, but i feel lighter. My belly is not growing. I am not bloated anymore. My clothes still fit me, i see no changes. Did anybody get those feeling ? I think my scale is being an SOB.

(Amer R) #26

The only dessert I am eating now is the keto mug cake from ruled.me website. I am using Truvia or liquid stevia, unsweetened cocoa powder, and I am using butter and coconut oil for the recipe.

The only fast food place I go are 5 guys or peruvian chicken.

I dont even use lime juice.

I dont shred my own cheese, I buy the kirkland mozzarella cheese from Costco. I am sure many on here have seen the bag of cheese

I do use garlic powder when i make my fathead dough. Also, I use old spice, middle eastern spices on other dishes.

Do you have a food diary where you write down everything you are eating? And I mean everythingā€¦as in extra vegetable toppings, the handful of peanuts at 5 guys, desserts and so on. This will help you understand where carbs are coming from. It will also help you track how much protein you are eating.

If you get headaches, you might want to try drinking salty and mineral- rich fluids, like broth and mineral water. Headaches come about sometimes when we donā€™t get enough electrolytes.

(Michelle) #28

Peanuts are legumes, not really nuts. I would stay away from those. Not knowing the quantities you are eating, I would say not enough fat and too many carbs to get low. I agree with Fiorella about tracking everything in the beginning. Then you have a good idea of how many carbs. I have to watch it when I have fathead pizza since that does have about 11g of carbs per serving (I eat like 2 - 3 pieces at a time)

(Alex Dipego) #29

Honestly my favorite thing to do is minimize what Iā€™m eating.

That means simplifying the menu until youā€™re adapted because it is challenging to go from SAD to a diet thatā€™s LCHF that replicates what you ate before. Your tastebuds will change as well as sugar sensitivities. Donā€™t cheat yourself by ā€œneedingā€ these substitutes.

(Stefanie sidwell) #30

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say that it has helped me a ton. I too noticed yesterday that I gained 3 lbs. Iā€™ve been in pretty miserable keto flu for about a week but am controlling it better by taking lots of trace minerals and capsulizing pink Himalayan sea salt that is still in rock form and swallowing those down throughout the day.
The lime juice hit me pretty hard, the water that I drink throughout the day either has ACV or fresh squeezed lime juice, sneaky little shits, I had no idea that they had carbs in the juice. I even put lime juice in some fat bombs that I made.
The last 2 days I have been blowing a .2 in my breathalyzer, I havent bothered with the strips as I hear too much that they donā€™t really work.
It is amazing how the evolution of my fine tuning is progressing, and gosh, I just wouldnā€™t be able to do it without places like this. I GOT THIS! Learning and applying more and more every day and my game is getting much more simple, Iā€™m guessing us newbies make this far too complicated until it truly resonates. Yesterday I did a successful 24 hour fast now Iā€™m ready for direction of my weight to shift!
Iā€™m curious how @Ramamni since this post?

(KCKO, KCFO) #31

This is old but hopefully you are still following it.

You are eating a lot of dairy, some folks have a hard time losing with that much dairy.

Skip the peanuts eat real nuts not legumes like peanuts and cashews.

Too much artificial sweeteners can be as bad as pure sugar, actually maybe worse.

Count carbs, the calories will fall in place pretty easily.

Consider doing intermittent fasting, when you nail that do 3-4 day fasts from time to time.

Use the keto calculator like this one at Leangains : https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/

Eat the right level of carbs, hit your protein needs, and the rest are good fats. You should see good results then.

(Elizabeth Brents Farran) #32

I too recently just started having this problem of gaining weight I donā€™t know if itā€™s the heat. Iā€™ve been in ketosis for months (March 20th) Iā€™m under 20 carbs a day my macros are perfect Iā€™m drinking over 130 ounces of water a day Iā€™m anal about weighing myself though. I havenā€™t cheated itā€™s kind of freaking me out that I have put on 2 pounds I know itā€™s possibly water weight. Iā€™m exercising. Ahhhh Iā€™m just frustrated. Yes I do my bulletproof coffee every morning with MCT and Kerry gold butter And 40% heavy whipping cream and coconut oil. Taking all of my supplements like Iā€™m supposed to. Freaking out here.

(Siobhan) #33

What about measurements? 2 lbs is honestly nothing, sounds like normal fluctuation, could be inflammation, increased muscle mass, bone density, or a liter of water.
Your inches will probably say more than weight.
And how your clothes fit.

(KCKO, KCFO) #34

If you are exercising, your muscles are gonna suck up that water, to repair themselves. How long has the two lbs. been on, not long I would guess. Your body has to adjust to the stuff you throw at it, muscle wear and tear, diet changes, etc. Chill out and be kind to your body, it might take it some time to adjust to all you are doing.

Get some feed back from some place besides your scale as well. Measurement, clothes, progress pictures (dig up a picture at your start weight or higher if you have one and compare current pictures.

Remember to hit the carb target, the protein target and use enough fats to not feel hungry.

Keep calmā€¦

(Elizabeth Brents Farran) #35

Iā€™m under my carb target consistently

(What The Fast?!) #36

How do your clothes fit? How long has the 2 lbs there? I fluctuate up to 5 lbs in a week.

(Shawn) #37

Iā€™ve read that shredded cheeses typically have corn starch added to keep it from sticking together and given the rules which allow ingredients to not be disclosed if they are too low to register I wonder if this may be part of the issue??

Iā€™ve also had some of the same problems as youā€™ve described. Gained weight even though Iā€™ve been very cognizant of what Iā€™m taking in. I personally believe, for me, this is due to 50 years of dietary abuse Iā€™ve caused my body.

Have you tried an egg fast? I lost 10lbs one week on an egg fast then gained back about 2.5lbs after for a net loss of 7.5lbs.

Not sure how people here feel about this type of fasting?

(Sheri Knauer) #38

Donā€™t worry about 2lbs. Just keto on. Ive been strict keto almost 10 months and my weight can fluctuate up or down 5lbs and given day. Put your scale in the basement, unused closet, garbage can, etc. Go by the way you feel and how your clothes fit. That is a much better indicator than what the lying scale says. They have been known to be dirty, rotten liars.

(Siobhan) #40

Maybe, but I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to ā€œquestions someoneā€™s motivationā€ because they eat fathead pizza, or keto souffle.
I am very obviously fat adapted, though I donā€™t test blood ketones, and yet I made keto brownies on Friday. And ate them, even. I made substitution recipes (mostly curry, and some desserts) at the beginning too, and it helped me keep with it. Iā€™ve found that when some start they sometimes try to find substitutes to things they used to eat, to help ease the transition - I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with this. I did the same thing. I still do (keto mcgriddle? brownies? cheesecake? sure), but Iā€™m still keto.
I donā€™t think anyone is more or less keto for wanting ice cream or waffles. Someone may be very motivated to go keto due to health concerns, but at the same time the lack of familiar foods may intimidate them, and a substitute recipe may help keep them on track. If it helps them stay keto and get used to everything, where is the issue?

Now granted thereā€™s some n=1 here because some people react negatively to what is in the substitutes (nut flours, artificial/alternative sweeteners, dairy) but this is going to vary by person, so Iā€™m not sure a blanket statement can really apply. Some people do better knowing that there is always something like egg noodles to eat with their fettucine alfredo and some dislike the idea of substitutes as an idea and consider it ā€œcheatingā€.

Perhaps I am just misunderstanding the intention of your post here, but the ā€œquestioning motivationsā€ part came off, to me, as rather judgemental.

EDIT: However I will add that if someone is going into keto and getting overwhelmed with specialty recipes, it can definitely be beneficial to stick with simple meals - it depends on the person

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #41

Hey hey hey hey

You can question my motivation all you want, but to do so would make you look bad. And foolish. Why?

Iā€™ve been very successfully ketogenic three years now.
THREE. YEARS. NO. CHEATS.

Iā€™ve lost a literal fuckton of weight.
(for reference, a fuckton is equal to ten shitloads).

I also cured T2DM , built incredible muscle mass, cured cyclical depression I had had for years, completely healed the neuropathy in my foot, and the list goes onā€¦

I did it all eating fathead pizza, shiritaki noodles, BPCā€™s and fatbombs (the horror), Keto desserts and candies.

Keto on my friends

Like @siobhan says "itā€™s all about n=1
(sheā€™s also highly successful with keto btw).

You want to know my story? Jason Fung is publishing it on his blog Intensive Dietary Management, next week. Also, listen to my story on the 2KetoDudes podcast, episode 21
giddy