Gaining in the beginning

(Felicity ) #21

Thank you!

(Felicity ) #22

Such a wonderful reply, thank you! Ok, I’m going for it. No weighing, no restriction. Balls to the wall lol. I’m so glad I found you all!

(Candy Lind) #23

@J_A-M I really like the way you laid out the “nebulous” quality of all the calorie-related things we do to try to give ourselves a feeling of being in control. It becomes so clear that it’s all a mental game we play to try to keep our sanity when we feel OUT of control. Thanks for the “KCKO” moment. :+1:

(Jay AM) #24

I always appreciate seeing your comments. Sometimes I feel like it’s me against CICO devotees and I’m not excellent at getting my points across. I appreciate your experience and effort around here.

(Felicity ) #25

You are very good at it. Thanks for your help

(Julie) #26

I’ve done hcg too and it worked but I couldn’t keep calories that low forever and eventually regained.

I can totally relate to what you said about never being full…pretty much always hungry. It’s miserable and you can’t live like that. You’re fighting your body and you will usually lose. One thing I found that helps with this for me is intermittent fasting. Try skipping breakfast…moving meal times closer til you get to one or two meals a day. This will not only let you eat more at each meal and feel full, but it will help you lose weight too. It lowers your insulin during the time not eating (and in general) and assists in weight loss.

You’ve gotten great advice about keeping calories higher and easing up on the hiit too. Just another way to help keto work effectively at healing our bodies.

(Chris W) #27

I agree with 98% of everything she says I weight it that way because its important. I don’t agree with the HIT however because that uses a different level of energy than fat adaption can not provide. HIT and cardio are not the same thing, all though they run in the same circles they work differently. I would not cut out or back HIT but do it to failure, then follow it with ETF after a short break. I actually picked up HIT while I was keto adapting, and it allowed me to continue that type of work out without being so cardio until I fat adapted. Not saying it was easy, but when I had energy and could not ride my bike more than ten minutes I needed to do something.
As for ETF the reasoning is simple, you are building new muscle(I should be saying reshaping current muscle) and bringing it online as fat adapted.
In few weeks also I would actually exercise fasted if possible in the morning, but that is me this is supposed to aid in muscle regeneration.

(Kathrine) #28

It was also very scary to me :slight_smile: But I did it, and I have lost more weight… My body know it’s safe now and it’s willing to get rid of the fat :slight_smile:
Do it slowly if you have been restricting for many years, and calculate your TDEE… A TDEE can give you an (idea) of how much you should be eating :slight_smile:
And don’t forget to listen to your hunger cues :slight_smile:

(Marcia Baugh) #29

This 64.5 yo 2 yrs. on Keto after 3 yrs yo-yo-ing on HCG trying to keep from regaining the 35#’s that I lost on it, would love to know why I can’t lose at all on Keto? I do modified fast with a 6-8 hour eating window daily. The most I’ve been down in 2 yrs on Keto is 5 # but then gradually back up again…I won’t go off Keto because I love all the benefits of energy, mind clarity, no sugar cravings (anti cancer benefits) but need to lose 15# and husband (just diagnosed prostate cancer) needs to lose abt 40-50 # and can’t seem to shed it after 2 years of pretty consistent Keto. Did being on HCG for 3 years totally destroy our metabolisms???

(Candy Lind) #30

Are you ever hungry? Are you counting calories (BE TRUTHFUL)? Are you VERY consistent with the IF? In other words, are you eating at the same time and pretty much the same rate every day because you are a creature of habit, and NOT because you’re paying attention to hunger signals?

(Marcia Baugh) #31

Not usually hungry but almonds or walnuts are my snack of choice and I prob need to monitor that more closely :roll_eyes: but one of the things I love abt Keto is not tracking and paying attention to hunger and fullness signals
I hardly ever eat till around 12 and usually end up with one meal a day unless we have an event or appt that involves food and I work that in so adjust my eating window

(Candy Lind) #32

Try to eat enough at meals that you don’t need to snack. If you feel the need to eat, make it a meal. Every snack is an insulin hit you don’t need. And change things up occasionally! Eat two meals instead of one in a day, so your food intake is greater; then listen to your body for the next “let’s eat!” cue. Decide to skip supper one night (and voilá! You’ve completed your first 24-hour fast.) - stuff like that. You can find more suggestions by poking around in the forums. It’s all about helping each other find our own “n=1” for success.

Keep on plugging away, & hubby as well - we’ll help you figure it out. :blush: KCKO.