Gained 14 lbs on keto over 5 weeks despite strict compliance

(TJ) #21

Erm… :confused:

Well, I appreciate the insights into possible foods causing an allergic reaction… But here’s my frustration. The cinnamon and multivitamin are from The Obesity Code’s chapters on how to fast. The Obesity Code is Dr. Jason Fung, who is referenced a lot here on the fasting stuff. https://www.audible.com/pd/Health-Fitness/The-Obesity-Code-Audiobook/B01MYMRVSQ

This is one of the most frustrating aspects of diet guides, the competing advice/evidence. It makes it difficult to keep up when there is conflicting information out there. The Obesity Code seems like a pretty reliable source and I sure wish there was a just one-and-only.

I’ve never had an allergic reaction to the Alive! multivitamin, which I’ve taken off-and-on for the past five years, and don’t think the natural ingredients could be extrapolated to real-life quantities. The cinnamon thing, I’m a little hesitant on that too, though if there is a food reason for my awful allergic reaction, I’d give that one the most credence. I did consume a whole lot of cinnamon.

(Donna ) #22

I agree, it must be very frustrating.

Everyone is an individual and only you can know how your body will respond to all of these added things. I hope you do conduct another fasting experiment, but with the least amount of variables possible. No cinnamon, no stevia or other sweeteners, no supplements. You mentioned that you thought part of your bad reaction during the first 24 hours was from some erythyritol. There’s so many variables and moving parts. I hope you do another fasting experiment and let us know what happens. I can’t help thinking your body is just waiting for the right sequence of events to happen so It can drop a ton of weight for you.

How are your hives? (I had chronic hives ‘of unknown origin’ and have taken Zyrtec for almost 3 years. I still take it. My hives started two days after Christmas, 3 years ago. I was SURE someone had given me a Christmas present I was allergic to! Haha. We never figured out what caused/causes the hives. They were maddening. I hope to stop the Zyrtec one day. The last time I tried to stop, on Day 3 my hands and face started itching again so I’m still taking it every night. It’s a mystery!)

I look forward to further reports and hope to hear: “I finally figured it out, and I’ve lost XX lbs!” :smiley:

(TJ) #23

Your enthusiasm is awesome… Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I have a somewhat similar story around the hives - I’m glad I’m not alone on that one.

The wildfires may be a large part of what it going on or have nothing to do with it. We are on the other side of the country, in an area near to where Sandy hit. Some of our friends who were hit in developed various maladies. For example, a good friend is now allergic to her pet, the same one she has had for almost 12 years. She had no problems before 2012 and was the type to pooh pooh allergies. Now he lives with me part of the time when her allergies and asthma (which is also new) get too bad. The first severe allergy attack she had we were at a hotel and the animal was not there but her allergist says that he is the final straw that pushed her over. That it was not one allergy but several. Most of the summer and fall he stayed with us because she could not handle him and pollen. She is on several prescription allergy medicines.

People react differently at different times and to different stimuli. I personally cannot use most adult vitamins because I get nauseaus. When I feel the need I do my kid’s chewable which does not bother me at all.

I had no problem with eggs until the age of 36 and then for many years I could not eat them except in baked goods or really well cooked foods. Then about 5 years ago they stopped bothering me. I have no idea why or how this happened or why I reacted to them in the first place, now I enjoy them almost daily

(Shaun Dyer) #25

@tjpublichealth
Hopefully you found answers-
I wanted to chime in that I’m also taking PrEP (27 months now) for the same reasons and have not had any issues from it. This is the third time I’ve done Keto and my plan is to stay with it indefinitely.

My provider talked to me about the tendency for antiretroviral medications to cause odd fat redistribution. She specifically mentioned in her experience with Truvada that some patients increase fat distribution in their trunk. I asked her if that fat increase was mostly visceral or subcutaneous and she did not know.