Frustrating Setback

Dairy. I guess its going to be a love-hate relationship from now on. I had issues with dairy a few years ago. My doc had put me on an elimination diet to help figure out why had this ongoing cough and loss of voice. It was dairy. But, that was a few years ago, and I had slowly started eating a few hard cheeses, and had no issues. Then cautiously added in a little HWC. No issues. Had Keto cheesecake this past weekend, and the cough started. I chalked it up to seasonal allergies. Right around that time, I had also made my keto-soup… which is largely dairy- with HWC and cheese. The soup itself, is incredible. One bowl and I’m perfectly satiated for the whole day. Had it for my OMAD yesterday at work. And that’s when the voice started to disappear.
Today, I have completely lost my voice. My throat doesn’t hurt or anything, its just a little tight, and almost no noise comes out when I talk- with the exception of an occasional squawk. Work should be interesting this afternoon.
I’m just really kinda bummed. It seemed like things were going so well! I guess, it could have been a dairy overload. Maybe if I eliminate it for awhile, and sparingly add in a little cheese here and there, it’ll be okay. For now, though, it has to be total elimination. Perhaps this would be a good time to try the Carnivore route, and see how that goes.
Not meant to sound like I am whining like a 5 year old,…just saddened that one of my mainstays is no longer. Hrumph. Thanks for letting me vent!

(Allie) #2

Have a listen to this podcast, it may be of interest.

(Karen) #3

Dairy is a complex issue. I have two children that are dairy free because it makes them sick to have dairy products. It developed over years, and yet there are good dairy substitutes. The nut milks aren’t bad in the nut cheeses are pretty good. It’ll take a while to shift your tastes

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Is all your dairy from cow’s milk? Have you tried using goat or sheep cheeses? Many who can’t eat cow based dairy can handle the others. Also Karen’s idea of nut milks and cheese is a good one.

I need to check out that posted resource by Allie.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

It seems like you tolerated dairy until the cheese cake. Is there by chance cream cheese in the soup you make? Cream cheese isn’t aged and has more lactose than hard cheese where the lactose has been almost completely restructured by fermentation. I think this might have been the thing that pushed you over the edge possibility. I would stick with aged hard cheese, HWC and butter when you decide to try dairy again. :cowboy_hat_face:

Good reminder! I knew that about cream cheese, which is why I had stuck to mainly hard cheeses in the past, but had slowly crossed the line over to indulging in some soft cheeses. The soup had heavy whipping cream and shredded cheddar as the thickening agent and main fat ingredients, and substantial amounts of both. I figured that the soup was just too much of a heavy dose of dairy, right after having the cheesecake…and that caused the overload, triggering this response. =(

It’ll be awhile before I get into dairy again, given the circumstances. Working retail with no voice is a little challenging. Running two businesses and teaching once in a while on top of the retail side job- is nearly impossible!

My plan is, doing just clear liquids today, gargle/oil pull with coconut oil (to get rid of bacteria), maybe eat a plain burger later (minus the cheese)…and see if the issue will subside quickly.
Thank you so much for the reminder, and advice!!!

Yep…had goat’s cheese a few times. Not a huge fan of it, on its own. Have to play with it more. Sheep cheese- have never found up in these parts, but will go adventuring and see if I can locate some.
The nut milks–we already have. I go mainly for coconut or macadamia milk. The kids like the almond milk.
Have not found a nut-based cheese. I did find one with a rice-milk base. My son tried it, and gagged. I though the rice base might be a unfriendly towards the Keto WOE. I shall revisit that tomorrow when I go shopping.
Thank you for the ideas and input!! Much appreciated!

(traci simpson) #8

Once I finish the dairy I have in my fridge (cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar) I’m going to not use it and see if I feel a difference. I don’t feel bad, however the scale moves up two or down two pounds since I started in February.

Yes, I have one kiddo that does not respond well to dairy. I gave him a rice-milk based cheese once…and he was less than enthused. The nut milks are great----macadamia and coconut are my favorites.

The issue I have, when preparing a cream-soup soup or sauce, is that the nut-milk substances just don’t bring that smooth, thickening, unctous texture that HWC does. And, that was one of the primary ingredients in the soup. Which I ate too much of. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

When time permits, I will experiment a bit more with some texturizers and see if some balance can be achieved without increasing carb counts.
Thank you!!!

Going to watch that right now!!! Thank you bunches!!!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Look for Bulgarian Feta, and some made in Greece and Spain are from sheep’s milk. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

I haven’t tried it but Konjac flour is highly touted by some forum members as a thickening agent.

Xanthan gum is good but a little more tricky to use. I have recently seen a post the suggested mixing Xanthan gum with a little oil as a way to not get lumps. You can actually even make a roux with it. I have always just pinched and sprinkled it while mixing the sauce/gravy vigorously while adding it. It takes a few minutes to reach full thickness so it’s easy to go too far if you’re impatient!

You can also make roux with fine milled almond flour and butter or bacon grease.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(traci simpson) #13

use Cream of Tartar.

Never tried Konjac flour…I’ll have to check that out. I have used Xanthan gum in the past, I used to sift it- even the tiniest bit- for making gravies. The kids got into it though, and made a disgusting mess. Took some time to recover from that event. I’ll give it a whirl again.

Never even fathomed making a roux without flour!!! But, I will give the almond flour a try. Just found a pouch from Pillsbury, running about $4 less than the identical size from King Arthur. Experiment we shall.

I decided to eat before going into work. Having a freezer full of grass fed beef at my fingertips…I cooked up a med-rare ribeye, salted it, and and oh my, was that ever delicious! No butter though. Just salt and refined olive oil. I think I do the carnivore successfully for a while. :smiley:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

As a thickening agent, or for beating egg whites? Cream of tartar is useful for mixing your own baking powder without corn starch added as commercial baking powder has.

(traci simpson) #16

I use it as a thickener whenever I need it and to thicken my cream.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

@Diygurl19 I had no idea, my chef status is now in question. :man_cook:t3:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Carl Keller) #18

Discovery is a part of our LCHF journey. Somtimes the discoveries are awesome and sometimes they are a bummer but all of them teach us things we need to know to be the healthiest we can be. Don’t look at this as a setback. Look at the bright side… now you are just going to have to eat more steak and bacon! :cut_of_meat: and :bacon:

(Edith) #19

Canned, full-fat coconut milk makes a nice replacement for HWC.