Frozen meat?

(Adriana) #21

Totally agree with this, I live in the capital city of my country and finding organic grass fed meat is hard! I know of two places that sell it somewhat near my area, but the price is at least 3x times higher than what I paid for with my butcher/supermarket, really not affordable for me.

I’m just starting this WOE and I eat keto within my budget, I think I’m getting the benefits from it even if it´s not grass fed…

(KCKO, KCFO) #22

Frozen meat is a must have as far as I am concerned. If I only have frozen steaks, none defrosted, I use Julia Childs’ method of cooking frozen steak in the oven.Steak au Four, it is in her book The French Chef Cookbook. Basically cook in a 375F oven for 30 mins. check with meat thermometer med. rare is 130F. I like mine rarer so I do 125F instead. It involved lots of lovely butter too. It is one of the best ways to cook steak IMO. With frozen steaks You can do a quick sear either before baking or after if you like the crustiness on your steaks.

(Cathrine Helle) #23

Oh wow, so many replies :smiley:

Just to clarify; the reason I want to buy from this specific farm is that they have pasture raised animals, smaller stocks that has a diverse area to graze and find food in. They have access to a stream they can swim in, forrest areas and meadows. I’m not sure if the meat is grass finished, but the focus is on animal welfare and giving the animals a good life until slaughtered.

Currently I shop 3-4 times a week, and I’m doing totally fine on the regular meat. I just really like the idea of supporting an ethical farm AND have a freezer full of delicious meat as well :stuck_out_tongue:

(Cathrine Helle) #24

And it does save me money; price per kilo is not bad at all if I buy 10 or more kiloes at a time.

I’ve started carnivore mainly to simplify my life, but also to see if I finally can overcome the autoimmune issues I struggle with. As far as weight loss goes, I’m really not that overweight, but of course, getting to a “normal” bmi would be nice (think its 27 now). However, if I remain slightly overweight that’s ok too - I’m kinda muscular for a lady and will never be petite :wink:

I just want to feel strong, healthy and robust, both mentally and physically. I hope meat is the answer to this. If not, well, I do love steak :cherry_blossom:

(KCKO, KCFO) #25

Sounds like a great way to get your protein. Wish I knew of a farmer like that near me, but alas there isn’t but I do have access to grass fed beef at several butcher shops.

(Tony Battelle) #26

Don’t shoot the messenger dude. There is ample research that Antibiotics MAKE YOU FAT.

@Camomilla

Yup.
I am trying (it is a slow process) to clear enough freezer space to order a half lamb. Love lamb!!!
The advantage is the range of cuts including offal, giving nice variety. And the prices are excellent.

A quick browse online shows me some fab UK suppliers, but my local butcher competes with them, AND delivers for free, bless the dear man. All locally farmed meat.

Now I just need that freezer space…

(Jack Brien) #28

No problem cooking frozen steaks if needed, but I tend to reverse sear them now anyway

(Jane Hull) #29

We recently bought a hog from a similar farm. It really wasn’t that much more expensive and the meat tastes amazing. Such a difference. On their website you can see the pigs laying in the grass, soaking up the sun. Not rolling around in their own waste. I am fortunate to live in a family of responsible hunters. We have sustainably harvested deer, turkey, goose and fish in the freezer at all times. The only thing about the game meat is that it’s so lean. We make a lot of fatty sauces.

(Cathrine Helle) #30

Reverse sear? First slowly cooked in oven, and then seared in skillet? :slight_smile:

(Chris) #31

Yep, that’s a reverse sear.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

According to America’s Test Kitchen, a cookery research outfit, searing at the end is really the way to go. The chef I heard interviewed said that the reason cookbooks advise doing it at the beginning is simply that people generally forget to come back and turn up the heat later!

(Running from stupidity) #33

Yet ANOTHER vote for sous vide, as far as I can tell :slight_smile:

(Jack Brien) #34

It’s way too much of a faff for a steak. 20 mins in the oven at about 120°C, then in the pan for a minute on each side. Unless of course you’re trying to soften up a tough piece of meat.

(Norma Laming) #35

Good for you! I have similar concerns and interests. I buy “paleo boxes” from a farm a couple of hundred miles away. I know how the animals are reared and fed and I know about the farm. The boxes arrive fresh, overnight. The items are vacuum packed ready for the freezer. The paleo boxes basically have cheaper cuts and a mix of beef and lamb.