Food versus Exercise

(Tim Oboyle) #22

Thanks for your post. I have found for myself, at least, even though not a current fan of the “workout regime” I do walk a few miles a day, as a result of being 60+ pounds lighter I do find I walk more briskly, yet my heart rate stays the same. I agree with the “Weight loss leads to exercise”. I also find myself reasons to get my heart rate up… more walking , walking faster, taking on projects the I have avoided before because they would be too much effort physically… KCKO

(Jamie Hayes) #23

I believe that types of interval training yields better results than steady state training.

With interval training (also called HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training), you have short bouts of higher intensity exercise separated by lower intensity steady state training. There are heaps of different formulae. You can even get music to guide you.

As we know, it’s not just what fuel and metabolic pathway your body uses during the exercise, but also the effect post exercise. But… whatever works for you.

The exercise you enjoy (or believe in) that you do consistently works better than the one you don’t.

@JamieHayes, music is definitely an exercise motivator. For me it converts exercise to dancing…so much more fun!!! :grin: :dancer::notes:

(Jacquie) #25

I lift weights 3x’s a week but I love a 30/30 HIIT on my elliptical once or twice a week. I plug into music and away I go! I’m older and started exercising many many years ago with high intensity aerobics. Can’t lie, I loved the high. :grinning:

Mark Sisson also mentioned that you can stay in your 180 minus age range of aerobic training if you breath through your nose. Many advantages to nose breathing include deeper breaths and stimulating the parasympathetic system which keeps you calm.
I tried this yesterday, but my nose started hurting from the cold and dry climate right now in WI. I also need time to adapt to this breathing since I am primarily a mouth breather during exercise. I have noted for awhile now that exercise feels easier and my heart rate does not go as high compared to prior to keto. I have a good aerobic base, but maybe I should still get a heart monitor. Quite a lot of evidence pointing to heart damage from over doing the endurance business. Even just a little…

(Jamie Hayes) #27

I respect Mark Sisson, but find I have to respectfully disagree with the concept of forced breathing through the nose and not the mouth (and nose), during exercise. I never dictate breathing, except to tell people to “breath naturally” and not to hold their breath.