Food sensitivities

I’m suspicious I may have inflammation as I’ve been on a ketogenic diet for 8 months now with no weight loss.
I see there are some food sensitivity kits online.
Has anyone tried these?

(Jean Taylor) #2

Nope sure haven’t. What kind of kits?

Inflammation or not somethings wrong with your diet, have you posted a couple days diet for us to analyze? What are you following as general rules / macros / eating to satiety?

(Rob) #4

I’d be suspicious too but of probably a lot more things that specific food sensitivities.

As @lfod14 said, to be helpful we should know more. Before we get to the diet stuff (which would be helpful to know)… From what I can tell, you posted about frustration at 2 weeks, and at 5 months and now we are at 8 months. Sorry this hasn’t been working. I’d have been a bit frantic and I’m not sure I’d have KCKO’d as long as you.

Some thoughts for now… You say you are about 20lbs over your target weight but at 60 (you know better than me) stuff changes. You could be losing muscle mass with age, lowering your BMR which is confounding your keto benefits. You may well be at a body set point that may not be amenable to just keto. Your body may be blissfully happy at 140 even if your brain isn’t. Fixing it may require things like more gym time, harder routines, etc.

If you want more, you will have to send us a typical day of food so the wisdom-of-the-keto-crowd braintrust can see if they have any dietary ideas.

The good news is that keto should be making you healthier on the inside… maybe why you’ve KCKO’d so long? Have you changed body composition (lost inches)? If so, you may have added muscle, lost fat and thus not lost weight? (sigh, so many options :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

OK - back the main question. I’ve never used the kits and not sure I’ve seen them around here, so I cannot vouch for their effectiveness. However many people have had doctor-given tests. The interesting thing from these is that some people find many things are positive (bad) UNTIL they do keto and find that many are no longer issues. You are already long-term keto so hopefully it won’t be too many things if at all. The other thing to do is an AIP sort of thing where you eliminate common allergens and then reintroduce them to see what affects you… you are already gluten free (I assume) so the next big one is dairy (many sub allergies to discover - lactose, casein, etc.), then things like nightshades (a surprising variety of vegetables from tomatoes to potatoes). Here is a link to one couple’s experiments…

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/a-month-or-more-long-experiment/30090

Also, the forum search will help you… this is a search for “food sensitivities”

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=food%20sensitivities%20

(Jay AM) #5

It’s doubtful that standard inflammation from food sensitivity would mean nothing changes for 8 months but, Capn already covered those bases and asked good questions.

You can quickly search for food sensitivity tests on Google. However, even with the test it may not be accurate. For example, I might test allergic to strawberries, tomatoes, citrus. I’m not actually allergic to them, I’m allergic to latex and it can have a cross reaction to those foods and a host of others, but not always. Most people are sensitive in some manner to some or many foods based on those tests but, in reality, they are very mildly sensitive and see no reactions. I’ll add that most food sensitivities have other symptoms, some may even be almost too mild to notice. Like, getting the brief sniffles after dairy.

The reason I think somethings up with me is over the past two plus years I have gained about 15 or so pounds effortlessly. I weigh much more now than ever in my life. I had been jogging regularly during that time.
I just recently (few days ago) gave up cheese and dairy but thought I would continue grass fed butter.
My husband went to a functional MD and he advised us to eat more organic…grass fed beef and organic eggs.
He recommended Dave Asprey book.
After reading/listening to problems with weight loss I am now more suspicious my stall could possibly be due to extreme stress over the past nearly 2 1/2 years.
Fortunately as of about 2 months ago I can actually feel the stress leaving me as my circumstances have changed. I would also notice that even in a fasted state my blood glucose was consistently high 90’s. Now it’s more in the mid 80’s. Also my sleep was crap but it too has been improving.
About 6 weeks ago for a month or so I tried regularly fasting 1-2 days as often as I could (about 4 days a week). I did loose some weight but my sleep was so poor I felt I should hold off until it improved.
Today I fasted until 2pm or so. Around 2 I had a bulletproof coffee of about 2T coconut oil. I ate a large salad with a hard boiled egg and sunflower seeds and homemade oil and balsamic dressing. For dinner I plan to have another large salad, some steak on the salad, boiled egg, grilled asparagus and grilled onion and a small amount of roasted beets 1/2 Avacados.
For many months I was more strict on carbs but now I splurge here and there with healthy vegetable carbs
(Sweet potato carrots tomato). Also I ate a small handful of macadamia nuts and a small piece of 100% dark chocolate.
I want my window to be 21/3 today. Fasting feels good.
I have lost small amount of inches…feel firmer and no more brain fog.
Last I checked (a couple days ago)my ketones were 1.4.

(Jen) #7

I had food sensitivity tests done after getting a comprehensive blood panel done that showed markers of inflammation. My Functional Medicine MD suggested it and gave me a kit. The testing showed that I have sensitivities to many things I was eating on Keto including eggs ( by far the worst news), casein which is in most dairy, salmon, lettuce, and wheat/ gluten. I had lost about 30 pounds with keto prior to this news but then stalled. I have cut out those foods but I am still stalled. The only thing that does work for me is extending fasting but much of the weight I lose doing that returns within two days so it is a very slow road at this point. I would love to find a forum for people with food sensitivities because this news has really hindered my success with Keto and is so much more restrictive it’s depressing. So food sensitivity tests may help lower inflammation by knowing what to cut out but may not effect weight loss.