Food intolerance 13 year-old

(Ray) #1

Three years ago my child got very sick doctors cannot figure out the unexplained weight loss over a year of monitoring and weight loss and bloodwork I myself figured out it was all dietary related . he got six rounds of antibiotics within a year for reoccurring strep throat He did get his tonsils removed but the doctor is worried that all the antibiotics stripped his gut flora and is now allergic to all sulphur drugs now with Trial and error and slowly removing things from his diet we have come to the conclusion of being on a dairy free soy free gluten-free diet helped him put weight back on . I’m a little overwhelmed on how to reestablish his gut flora and with 1 million types of enzymes pills and so on it’s a little overwhelming I’m seeking help on this why am I on a keto form ? My story is I’ve been on a ketogenic diet since 2015 to control my MS a attacks but that’s another story . Do you think the ketogenic diet would be beneficial for my child with his intolerances ? I’m exhausted and need help. Ps. When he picks up the common cold / bug he drops all his weight and takes months to gain back.

(CharleyD) #2

Gut flora can be re-established with fermented foods. I prefer sauerkraut, kimchi (look for a korean market/restaurant for best results) pickles, hard aged cheeses.

If he can tolerate bacon and eggs, start with that.

(Brennan) #3

Kefir is typically milk (dairy) based fermented drink, but can be found in coconut milk versions.

Kombucha (fermented tea) is really tasty and carbonated too.

Be sure to check the labels for sneaky carbs, I’d stick to plain kefir and unflavored versions of kombucha (if keto).

I know kids can be picky eaters so those might be better options than Kimchi or sauerkraut. The nice thing about any of these things is that you can make them at home if you’re so inclined.

I’m no expert, but I think an autoimmune protocol would be more beneficial to your son. Google AIP diet for more info.

Second to that, I’d suggest making nutrient density a priority. In my opinion, one of the best gurus in this area is Dr Terry Wahls.

Both diets are variations on Paleo, which emphasizes food quality over macro levels. Nevertheless, a state of ketosis can be maintained with either diet.

My family tends to eat along these lines. Limiting dairy, soy, eggs, artificial sweeteners, processed foods and meats (ie. pork rinds, bacon) even if it’s LC.

(Beth) #5

Sorry, I’m late seeing this post but I suggest you check out Dr. Perlmutter’s book, “Brain Maker.” He’s a clinician who has extensive experience in cases like your child’s. He explains how to rebuild your gut flora and gives an example of another patient, a young boy, who benefited tremendously from probiotic enemas - six probiotic capsules emptied into a drugstore enema. The boy saw immediate improvement after just one, and with continued use (if I remember correctly) the condition resolved itself.