Food for thought about Statins

(Geoffrey) #1

I knew the reasons why I stopped taking a statin but I hadn’t known the history behind their development.

(Jane) #2

Interesting - thanks for posting!

My dad has been on statins for decades and he just turned 90 last December. He thinks doctors are gods and he fervently believes he is alive today because of the meds he takes for cholesterol and blood pressure.

I don’t argue with him and he wouldn’t listen to me anyway. His right.

(Jane) #3

I looked up very high levels of HDL and several articles stated an HDL > 100 could increase your changes of having a heart attack or heart disease by over 50%. My last HDL was 148.

I thought about this video and laughed at how easy it is to skew data. I had a CAC scan done a couple of years ago and my score was 0. Not concerned.

(Alec) #4

And despite all that, the standard of care across the world is to prescribe statins whenever your LDL is above a continuously decreasing level because the lower and lower LDL levels achieved are funnily enough not resulting in lower levels of disease. The science has been totally lost in the scramble to line the pockets of the medical establishment. Scandal. Biggest medical con of all time.

(Bob M) #5

Any reasoning why?

(Bob M) #6

It might be due to genetics. This has a detailed section about HDL and genes (primarily):

The problem with genetics is that it’s based on risk and they really don’t know what’s happening. There are too many genes involved.

The other problem is that you as a person might not have any of this. Hard to know why HDL goes high in many.

(Allie) #7

My Scott is like this too… doc told him without the meds he would be dead in six months, but if he would sort his diet out, he’d have a new lease on life in less time! :roll_eyes:

(Bob M) #8

Ok, that’s a complete misrepresentation. (Edit: about being dead in 6 months, that is)

(Jane) #9

No reasons were given or studies sited so I took it with a grain of salt.

eta: My HDL ranged from 60 to low 90’s before keto. After a year of keto it jumped to 130 and has stayed there for 7 years. Not dead yet.