Food anxiety... anyone have this problem?

(Patricia) #21

Yes! I have been a dieter for much of my life since I was a teen. I think I was anorexic before that was much in the news. It’s very hard for me to limit my food intake even now, because I have this fear that if I don’t eat it now, I will never get to eat it. Crazy, I know.

I read an interesting book, The Intuitive Eating Workbook by Evelyn Tribole, and recognized myself in about everything she discussed. Now, her way of eating won’t work for keto, since she insists people should not have forbidden foods, but there was a lot of food for thought (pun intended) on what dieting does to people’s minds and better ways to think about food and eating.

I can’t say I have mastered my anxiety about eating, but I’m working on trying to better understand why I eat to “stuffed” at times and how to stop doing that.

(Jane Srygley) #22

Crazy like me :heart: Thanks so much for sharing that. I’ve been severely mind f**ked by so much dieting. I don’t forbid foods because of keto, but I do forbid any food containing more than 5g of added sugar per 100 calories as well as certain specific sugary foods because they are massive triggers for overeating. I have gone back and forth with sugar abstinence and finally achieved it again just over one month ago. I know a lot of keto dieters have dark chocolate. I CAN’T HAVE DARK CHOCOLATE!!! I was allowing myself literally like 4 dark chocolate chips per week and it kept my sugar addiction alive and gnawing at me CONSTANTLY!!! Anyhow, thanks so much for your response. It helps so much to know that I’m not alone. :heart:

(Patricia) #23

My husband is a type 2 and he eats carbs like there is no tomorrow. He also just sits in front of the TV most days. He just won’t change.

(Jane Srygley) #24

That’s so sad I’m sorry :disappointed_relieved:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #25

I’m sorry :frowning: Addiction is a terrible thing. And it affects all walks of life. Just like my father with alcohol :cry: He was a great guy who had so many people who loved him, but if cancer didn’t kill him, alcohol would have.

(Rebecca ) #26

It’s no wonder there are so many “food issues” in life!!! I was an infant in 1961…bottle feeding was the rage and the Drs preached “wake them every 4 hours to feed”…whether we were hungry or not. I believe my Mother told me the “stuff” put in my bottles was Carnation Evaporated Milk and Karo Corn Syrup!!! How can that be nutritious…especially for an infant???

Fast forward 58 years…it wasn’t until the Ketogenic Lifestyle, that my body finally recognized hunger, being satiated and being “alive”! I no longer have that deep NEED for sugar…it is gone…that is a miracle to me!

Food anxieties are understandable after years on the SAD!!! Take it a day at a time!

I wish you well!

(Susan) #27

I believe there is a big correlation for sure.

I breastfed all 5 of my kids for 2 years (and the longest for 2 years, 5 months) and didn’t give them anything else at all until 9 months, and they are all slim. Not Keto, but slim.