First Fast and my head feels like it'll explode!

Ok. I’ve been keto adapted for over a month but stuck at 236 and can’t seem to budge. I figured I’m over-fatting and since intermittent fasting comes naturally daily now, I decided to do a longer fast - at least 24 hours. I’m 18+ hours in and have been suffering a horrid headache the past hour even though I’m well hydrated and even had a cup of coffee around 2.
Any thoughts? Is this common? Warm salty water help? I’m really not having any other issues - in fact, iv been pretty energetic! But this headache is a winter-roused-bear!

(I like to post memes!) #2

Try either salted water or a cup of broth. Not enough to kick you out of the fast :slight_smile:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

+1 to this…don’t worry about making a “pure” fast if it’s going to make you miserable, especially if it’s your first extended fast. The first 24-36 hours tend to be the hardest, so don’t make it harder than it needs to be.

Thanks. I’m actually feeling great except for the headache. I even got two walks in before this put me down… le sigh.

Thanks, KB. I am putting the kettle on…I remember one of the dudes recommending hot salty drinks…wonder how a salty green tea would be!
BTW- how salty? 1teaspoon for 8ounces? More? Less?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #6

I would start with no more than 1/4 teaspoon and work your way up as needed. Even 1/4 tsp in 8oz may be more salty than you’d like, but it doesn’t hurt to use more water. In fact, I’d definitely be keeping your water intake high while fasting.

Are you taking any other electrolytes? Magnesium, calcium, potassium? I find that I definitely need those, whether just keto, IF, or extended fast.

Hi DH,
Thank you for the response…yes, I am taking a multivitamin AND magnesium as I have always been prone to cramps and they are killers! I love water, so I’ve no problem keeping up on that.
I am about to try salty green tea… fingers crossed!
CAC

Perhaps take a multivitamin tablet, too.

(Jennie) #9

Yes. Electrolyte headaches! Potassium, magnesium, sodium. That would be my guess :slight_smile:

Thought I’d post an update after this experience.
Overall, it was easy and awesome. I am reading Mindful Eating, so I practiced checking in with my body to try to identify what hunger I actually felt. For example, at one point I thought I was hungry but really what I was needing was some comfort and reassurance and I found a small wood fire took care of the “hunger” pangs by feeding my nose and soul with memories of camping with loved ones. Doing this worked really well to get past those times I thought I needed food, because I never really did NEED food!
As for the headache, the suggestion to drink salty water helped. I made green tea and added 1/4 tsp salt to it. The first sip was weird, but it tasted somewhat like asparagus after that and while still weird, was actually yummy! I also took a hot bath in a darkened bathroom and found that a wonderful activity not just for the headache. I ended 24 hours with a cup of beef bone broth, but I wish I hadn’t had it. It sat heavily and I didn’t want it, I’d just set it aside in my planning and didn’t want to waste it.
Day 2 (36+ hours in) found my head playing games and I ended up breaking the fast at 46 hours with a t-bone, though I wasn’t actually hungry. What happened was I started getting cold and lazy and had some diarrhea. I began worrying that my body was hunting for fuel in the wrong places and I worried myself into eating! I DO actually wonder about fasting poop and what happens to your bowels once you refeed if I’d made it past 48 hours…?
Overall, it was nice to not eat! I will definitely do this again or regularly once I learn more about pooping and read more. Do you eat a lot before starting a fast? Besides walking and stretches, baths and being gentle with my old achy self, what are some tricks for avoiding the feeling that I’ll get cramps, the headache, the worry, the food obsessins?

(David) #11

What I found interesting was that Dr Burg said in one of his YouTube videos about reversing atherosclerosis, that for calf muscle cramps he would recommend a calcium supplement. I think his exact words were that he wouldn’t recommend taking calcium supplements unless someone was suffering from calf cramps.

I have no idea why a calcium supplement helps with those cramps specifically, nor do I know why it does or doesn’t help with other kinds of cramps.

I always thought I was sodium deficient whenever I got leg cramps, and would increase my salt intake.

Perhaps I’ll try to find myself some science and show you all :wink:

I, too, get the headache and achy body during the first couple of days I fast, even when I supplement with salt water. I’m going to try @Brenda’s ketoade the next time I fast to see if the electrolytes help. And the bone broth, even though it’s salty and yummy, always gives me loose bowels, and a thorough clean-out. :stuck_out_tongue: I hope people have some good tips…I’ll be checking back.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

I agree 110%
Ever since @Donna recommended calcium citrate, I haven’t had even ONE muscle cramp!! It’s been nearly TWO YEARS!!!

I take it daily, of course.

(David) #14

Is that in your Keto-aide?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

No sir it is not. It is a tablet. “Citrical” brand :slight_smile: