First day of OMAD

I’m hungry already!
Still have 4 hours till lunch.
It’s only been 15 hours since I ate.

I’ve been doing 18:6 the last 3 days to warm up. Now trying 23:1 on work days.
I have an hour for lunch, so I am going to try and break my fast with some super greens before I eat my meal which will be 2000 cals.

I’ve got jaw ache. Which I presume is just a stress reaction.

(Allie) #2

I’m playing with OMAD currently too, did it Friday and yesterday but not over the weekend as I never restrict eating at the weekend.

Actually coping just fine, easiest for me to eat a big meal first thing then nothing for the rest of the day.

Oh nice.
I could eat at 10am. But I only have a 20 minn break. Where I have a whole hour at 1.
No way I would make it till 6pm.

Are you counting calories and macros or do you mind if know what your body needs for your one meal?

(Allie) #4

I count nothing, but am making sure to eat more than I would normally at one meal.

Just put Friday’s meal into MFP to work it out, comes out at 5g carbs, 79g fat, 126g protein which supposedly is 1238 calories.

I eat before work so this is at 6am and I was feeling uncomfortably full afterwards, but that eased off over the next few hours. Normally I eat a smaller breakfast then have lunch at work around 11am and that’s it for the day. This seems to be keeping me full right through to and past my usual lunchtime so after that, I’m cruising anyway.

It’s not something I will be doing long term and when it gets to the point of struggling or my body complaining, I will go back to 2MAD, but for now this seems to be working.

(Michael) #5

First time fasting for 24 hours and living is a great experience. Good for you :grinning:

Ouch. My SO has this situation, too tiny but most importantly, badly timed breakfast break and nothing else (he finishes work at 2pm so he can have a late lunch at home, it’s very good though a bit late after his 6am breakfast. he can’t do OMAD)… He simply stays hungry for some hours every day, poor thing.
I always eat when annoyingly hungry (I mean I have a super soft borderline hunger type where I feel zero urge to eat) so I am satiated basically all day on my OMAD days. They are just hard to pull off for various reasons but I definitely go for it. Not every day, that would be unrealistic but often. It has so many benefits when it is working, of course it’s not for everyone.
And it’s very important to eat enough, my minimum sized OMAD meal is about 1600 kcal but my energy need isn’t high, others may need a waaaaay bigger one. But it’s complicated, big men able to eat less than I could, extra fat helps (and I have a lot of it but still not enough to eat little and function well). I actually can make OMAD for a while trivial but that requires bigger meals and more carbs to reach that. Calorie deficit is what is problematic for me. OMAD alone is easy (for a while. I do love to have lunch, it’s fun and a more social meal than the others, usually).

I am different from @Shortstuff as I need to eat “late”. My OMAD meal is super rarely before 4pm as it easily becomes too little then or I just get hungry later anyway.

OMAD is quite a big jump from 18:6! Good luck, I hope you find the best way you can do this (food choice may be very important to be able to pull it off, I surely can’t just grab any food and expect not to get satiated too early… but maybe it is easier for you).

Even if I don’t do OMAD, I very often has a decent sized first meal (100-120g fat and protein), it’s actually a problem I need to have another meal (or more) because I can’t wait until 4-5pm with this… And because 100-120g protein is a tad too little for me so I inevitably get hungry again. Again, it may be very important what macros we use. I need high protein high fat to stay perfectly satiated until my bedtime. I handle lack of satiation when well-fasted but not in the evenings when I am not.

But maybe you have very different challenges than me on OMAD. Good luck again, I am curious how it will go!

Thanks.
2pm today till 1pm tomorrow will be the very hard part I expect.

Strangely, I didn’t get any more hungry between when I posted this and now, 30 mins to go.

Hunger does various things. Sometimes it even goes away for a while, happens to very many people. Other times it’s barely there and doesn’t progress for hours, that’s useful.

So I really struggled to eat the lunch I had prepped.

I had a handful of broccoli, 3 high quality sausages, 100g cheese, a pot of tuna mayo, yogurt, super greens, handful of nuts (Brazil, macadamia, cashew, almond), a slice of beef.
Worked out to 1800cals, 160g protein, 15g carbs.
It took me the whole hour to eat, but an hour later and I feel hungry again.
22hours to go.

(Michael) #10

Eat more for your meal if you are hungry an hour later. 1800 seems a bit low, but a good start and success regardless.

Thank you.
I really struggled to fit it all in.
I am thinking of going with hot food for tomorrow. Some burgers and halumi, then swap out the yogurt for cream. I could comfortably eat more.

(Robin) #12

I usually eat one meal a day, but it wasn’t/isn’t something I plan. I don’t eat till I’m hungry, really hungry. Usually around 2 or 3 pm. Then I never eat after 5 anyway, for optimum sleep…. So it’s pretty natural.

But there have been days when my body has made it very clear that more food is needed, so I feed it.

It’s funny how our definition of “hungry” changes with keto/carni.
I remember the first time my stomach actually spoke to me instead of my head! Crazy!

(Allie) #13

This is what I do too. I get my own ideas of how much I intend to eat to fit with my routine each day, just sometimes my body has its own ideas.

I can relate, I have my limit lower but my body is smaller too. Just because I stuff myself, I easily can get hungry soon, it always tells me that I didn’t use the best food items.
My next OMAD attempt will be tomorrow (today I ate too early but I ate as much as I could so it’s a good attempt I think, I just didn’t specifically plan it), I just sit down with a bowl of VERY fatty pork roast. I am good at eating much of it and it’s great for long term satiation, I surely will get my protein - and I will add some eggs and fatty dairy too. After a few minutes of break, I surely can eat several eggs, if not in normal egg dishes, I can drink some yolks. I just can’t be too satiated to drink 5 yolks and some cream in my coffee, egg milk or cocoa. I won’t do it (I doubt I would need it with my super fatty pork I find nice) but I could. Drinking calories is a good way to get in more stuff when we just don’t want more food.
And I personally need variety, it makes eating more so much easier but you had that.

But maybe you just need practice and it will go better tomorrow?

It’s about the same for me except I have way more different hunger types now. Maybe I just overanalyzed them… And I lost my sharp attention seeker hunger, yay!

My mind and stomach has nothing to do with my hunger, it’s always some center of my body or maybe belly originated thing.
My mind brings desires, appetite (maybe it can work with my body and triggers a special type of hunger? but I always feel it’s not proper hunger).
Maybe that’s why my hunger and appetite isn’t really correlated :frowning: One is from my mind, the other from my body.
My stomach is a silent organ, I almost never feel its state. So it’s irrelevant. At least I have this, it’s a chaos already.

Oh yes. I am usually okay (don’t make plans and expect them to be carried out :smiley: I know myself) but sometimes I REALLY have some wonderful plan (I mean, I have something nice to eat. no detailed plan just a lovely freshly made dish) and my body just decides it doesn’t want food yet. Or any time in the next few hours. Annoying. But when I have way better things to do than eating and maybe I even ate not long ago but my body is soooooo huuuuuuuuuungry… Why these things can meet? So I could enjoy the hell out of a food I actually need and desire at the same time? (Of course that happens often but I don’t want them so very separately EVER.)

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

I would ditch the cashews they are higher carb and you could be eating more of the other nuts instead.

I often do OMAD, usually around 1PM. That usually works fine for me. I will alternate with 2MAD over two week period of time. Oh, I find it is easier if I eat less chicken and more beef and pork in my single meals.

Good luck sorting out what works best for you.

Thanks. There was only 0.5g of carbs in the 3g of cashew nuts.
It was literally 2 or 3 nuts mixed in with others for a total of 20g.

I was really surprised to find that I didn’t get that’s hungry in the evening last night.
I was hungry an hour after eating, but that was probably my stomach being emptied, but I was only slightly tempted to eat last night. I thought I would be ravenous.

You guys were right.
I’m now 90 mins away from my first meal properly in OMAD. So I’ve not eaten for over 21 hours and I feel fine.
Certainly hungry, but only about as hungry as I would normally be an hour before a meal.

I’m going to have a smaller meal at 1, then have dinner tonight as we are meeting another family for dinner. But Im going to start doing this more. Maybe mon-Thurs every week.

I even did a 5k last night and didn’t notice any difference when I woke up as if I had eaten before and after the run.

I’m curious: what is “super greens”?

I’ve been doing OMAD my whole life, before this was a thing. I think it has damaged my health.

I think when my body didn’t get it’s sugar, it made my liver dump it on me. Now, my liver can’t stop it.

Also, I think it made me insulin resistant: to fight the starvation, my body told cells to stop using my glucose.

The same way cutting calories makes metabolism change.

Super greens are like athletic greens. Lots of different names. They are a supplement. It’s a powder made from dried green leaves.
Kale, spinach, broccoli, ginsing, Ashwaghanda, spiritua, green tea and a few others.
It is good girl for gut bacteria. Plus you are getting good vitamins and minerals. So instead of taking a multi vitamin, which I do not think are that good for us, I take this.
I think it is good for people on OMAD when you might not have the stomach capacity for a lot of veg.
Not that it is ment to replace real veg, just make sure I am getting some good stuff.

I do not plan on staying OMAD. I just wanted the experience mostly.
I think I will use it as a step stone to prolonged fasting in the future.
I’m not sure how I will cope, but I would like to fast for 4days 3 or 4 times a year for the health benefits.