Feeling weak on the bike

(David) #21

Can i ask if this is a health issue, or just a thing. My resting heart rate is higher and I don’t know whether to be concerned about it or not.

(ianrobo) #22

no concern as your body has to work harder to convert fat into every, carbs is ‘preferred’ because they are so easy to do that but as we all know only last for a short space of time

(David) #23

Thanks for the reply :smile:

(Karl L) #24

This is fascinating. It might be interesting to follow each other on Strava… I’ll send you a PM.

I found that I was very dehydrated on keto diet. I increased salt intake and made sure to drink a lot and it got better

(Mike Glasbrener) #26

I’d love to join you guys but now I have to wait I’ll after arthroscopic surgery on my knee. Arghhh… at least through Keto my weight will be down.

(Tony Harris) #27

Started Keto almost two weeks ago. Was invited on a 100 mile ride last week and knew I could not do it, so only planned 50. When I got to the turn around I felt great . . . well I went on and just before mile 70 the group was traveling 22-24 mph and I just could not hang any more. I got to the next stop (convenience store - mile 75) and called the wife for a ride home. What can I do to stay with the group? Tomorrow is a 70 mile with 2600 feet elevation. Can I do it? If so, how?

(What The Fast?!) #28

Are you taking salt on the ride? When I feel I can’t go any longer, I drop a salt tablet or throw a salt packet under my tongue. Boom - instant energy! Also, take macadamia nuts along with you if you need something.

(Karl L) #29

That’s exactly my experience on a century last month. I finished, but it was ugly.

(Karl L) #30

Wow; I’ll have to try that! I’m definitely paying attention to my salt levels, but hadn’t thought of it as an on-the-bike fix.

(Tony Harris) #31

Thank you. I will take some. Can you take any carbs or does this mess up your ketosis?

(Tony Harris) #32

I took some Calcium Magnesium Potassium tablets, but maybe not enough.

(What The Fast?!) #33

I don’t take carbs but some people do - I haven’t done a super long fat adapted ride yet though. My longest has been a really hilly 35 that took about 3 hours. I’m not sure how urban your ride is, but if there’s a gas station along your route, grab a dill pickle and a cheese stick! The salt is a game changer though. I put it in my water sometimes as well.

(John) #34

I did 45 miles yesterday, 16 or so in my legs were not happy. I stopped at the turnaround point for iced coffee with lots of cream and a lightly breaded, huge kolache. Almost exactly 16 miles later it hit me again, luckily the remainder was downhill or flat.

I am starting to experiment what to take before, during and after, but I think my problem may just be my fitness level. I have been on like 10 rides, doing 45 miles with lots of hills should make me tired. I’m not sure how much is tired vs how much is nutrition but I have a computer and HRM on the way so that should help, I think I am spending too much time above threshold.

On a side note does anyone have any good links to training programs? Almost all of the ones I see are just dumping carbs in, add keto to the search and anything before 2015 just talks about how it will kill you and cycling returns cyclical keto. My Google Fu is fading.

(ianrobo) #35

plenty of advice out there with training but can be confusing. My advice is to check on the MAF method and with a HRM training in your Z2 HR.

(John) #36

I’ve read about it, but especially lately all I am finding are articles that it is ok though not ideal for beginners, and that’s about it. Not sure what alternatives there are.

I’ve got no other plans so I will give it a try. It seems a lot of the people that don’t like it either read out of context or don’t actually stick with it long enough, sounds familiar…

(ianrobo) #37

OK, what are your aims as that determines your training ?

MAF is very easy though really and with just a few HIIT sessions thrown in.

(John) #38

Have you got a book that is the right one to follow? I see like 20 of them. I just started so finishing 50 miles comfortably would be a good start I think.

(ryancrawcour) #39

burst mode is handy depending on the kind of riding I am doing. For long endurance cruisy rides on flat roads just grinding away at a consistent pace is one thing. riding bike trails with short steep punchy climbs is very different.

I too noticed I got no bursty power anymore

How do I get this back, without turning to carbs to fuel those short intense efforts?

(ryancrawcour) #40

oh I am hoping so! need to have that explosive ooomf as you call it. has this come back or improved for you?