Feeling like a panic attack is about to hit

newbies

(Elena) #21

Sent a text to my doc & told her what I was going through, she’s so awesome! She talked to her other patient that did the Keto Diet & found out what exactly she used kinda as a guide book for her & she did Keto Quick Start: A Beginner’s Guide to a Whole-Foods by Diane Sanfilippo. Anyone know anything bout her?

Hello and welcome! Just wanted to ask what form of magnesium you are taking. Magnesium oxide doesn’t absorb well. I use magnesium bisglycinate, and others use magnesium malate or citrate.

Low magnesium can cause your symptoms. It’s all a balancing act. Once your body adjusts it won’t be such an issue and your body won’t lose electrolytes as quickly as in the beginning.

I’m pleased your doctor is so approachable about this way of eating! That often isn’t the case, so you are very fortunate.

My back back story: 4 months in I began having racing heart beat and my bp went high. I felt very anxious too. Then I found out I wasn’t getting enough of the right type of magnesium. These issues went away quickly when I stopped using magnesium oxide. I’ve worked my way up from 400 mg daily to 600 mg daily (counting what I get from food). I think I was just low in magnesium from the beginning. Perhaps this will be useful to you. Just a thought. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the BEST way of eating and getting healthy I’ve every found!

There is a delicate balance with electrolytes. Self experimentation should help you find your sweet spot. I’ve had palpitations from too little salt or potassium (and bad leg cramps at night) and from too much potassium. I would say, if it’s happening after drinking the ketoade, you might want to try reducing the potassium first. From what I understand, potassium builds up in your system, so you may not need to supplement with the same amount (or even every day) that you use in the beginning.

Getting a lot one day is not going to replenish in the sense of it being store. You need to get a certain amount every day not a lot one day to “stock up”. You do not store electrolytes like you store vitamins so dont over do it thinking your stocking up. Except as NinMD said, potassium builds up. I have my blood tested for it a few times a year.

You want about 5g of sodium a day.

(Chris Cannon) #25

I literally just got through this same kinda phase… Anxiety attacks and low electrolyte… Cold feelings and just crappy! Im here to tell you it lasted a good week and half for me… But since then i think i am fat adapted ow, im manageing only eating a meal a day and maybe a BP coffee if i feel i need something else, i can go about 20 hours before i get to my nect meal or think about it without even trying
… I havent had those feelings at all and ive suffered from anxiety disorder for the last 2 years. Everyone is different… But i want you to know you are not alone…and yes this happpens to some of us…beacause it happened to me!! And i was scared to death…even went to vusit my dr. Everything was fine. My body was just in shock from cutting so many carbs so fast! You should be feeling better soon!! Adding salt helped me. But a couple days later i ended up swollen from too much salt… I have figured my body out now and neither end of the spectrum is happenimg! Good luck i hooe you can stick it out…its worth it on the other end.
Ps… Protein took away the aggitated feeling for me coming from low blood sugat… Id say reach for protein if you are feeling like that again!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #26

You know that panicky or irritated feeling you can get if your blood sugar is low and you’re super hungry? I think that happened to me for about two days when I ditched the carbs and started keto, no transition, just did it. I didn’t have an appetite, felt nauseous and achy. I know now that I wasn’t getting the electrolytes but also that during the few days it takes to use up what sugar you have and until your body gets the message to stop nagging (for me it felt like anxiety) you and use fat for fuel, you can feel pretty crumby.

If you have to have a few more carbs than you wanted for a couple of days until you can get them down altogether, that’s okay. Be patient with the process and breathe. We’re here to encourage you or answer questions. Welcome!

(Elena) #27

Is it “normal” to feel extremely sleepy? I took a 3hr nap even though I got 7hrs if sleep once I did fall asleep. Also, how much ketoade should I drink in a day? I got the receipe from a chat here on the forum: 1 gal of water, 1 tsp of morton’s Lite salt, 2 tablespoons of magnesium & I went with the liquid magnesium citrate, lemon flavor from Equate.

(Wendy) #28

I remember being very tired when I first started. Give it a couple weeks (maybe it wasn’t that long) but it passes.