Feeling like a non functioning keto”er”

More salt is a good move. I’d also add some form of magnesium and potassium supplements. Some people do this with pill supplements, others like various versions of keto-ade. I do both. It turns out I needed these far more than I needed salt. I don’t skimp on salt and the supplement I add to my water has a little sodium, but otherwise, I’m satisfied with normal (generous) salt intake on my food. If I eat really a bunch of really salty food in one day, it starts to make me feel sort-of off.

(jessie) #14

sorry to be a pest but can someone tell me how to post a question

More salt and magnesium will definitely help.

Occasional berries is not a sin. It might even be that keto isn’t the right way of eating for you. But I’d try more protein and salt before giving it up completely. I really like protein, and have found that I like it even more after starting a (lazy) keto woe.

If you really can’t make keto work, low carb is still an option. You could allow yourself some oats and fruit in addition to the standard keto foods. My daughter does that, as well as diet sodas and sugar alcohols, and she lost teenage flab really quickly.

Your crashing experience sounds really interesting (in a not funny way). People’s bodies are really different, and it would be so good if there was more research on why some people react very differently to food that works well for most others.

(mole person) #17

He did not swell. If you are only salting your food you may really be getting much too little for beginning a keto diet. Dr. Phinney recommends two cups of boulion a day in addition to regular food salting, so you can try that if you like boulion. Myself, I just drink a cup of hot salty water. I have come to quite like it. My husband doesn’t however, and he just swallows a bunch of salt like it’s a pill and chases it with pure water. Other people here suck on salt crystals throughout the day. You really do need way more salt on keto. It’s possible you’ve been suffering keto flu all along. I hope so as it’s an easy fix.

@jessie

Are you serious?

(Britt) #19

This is pretty much what I’m doing. I eat mostly fish, seafood and some bacon. I do eat chicken wings once a week and hot dogs once a week :grimacing:. Veggies are almost always asparagus or riced cauliflower. I’m trying to keep my fruits to a minimum and have very little dairy. I just figure the more basic the less complicated for me right now. Due to the salt issue others have brought up I decided to try exogenous ketones since they do have salts built in. I’m not sure if that’s the same but figured it couldn’t hurt. It’s true I still could be adapting but I feel that if I am then I’m taking longer than most.

Did you have issues with salt before or after starting Keto? If your issues are prior to Keto, that’s another scenario as your body will hold onto salt. While on Keto, your kidneys are constantly flushing salts which is why you need to replenish them daily.

(Britt) #21

I’ve always had issues with retaining water when I eat salt BUT most of that salt came from processed and unhealthy foods so I’m sure that played a part.

Just being on a carb diet will lead to you retaining water as carbs hold 3x their weight not to mention the inflammation you incur. That’s why most people see rapid results, water loss from depleting glycogen storage and a reduction in inflammation. If you haven’t already, I would try consuming more salt (2 teaspoons) in a day and see how your body responds now that you are eating low carb. If it still happens, then you will know for sure! I enjoy eating diffferent foods and in different patterns and see what happens. I feel like my body acts more predictably since being on keto. Just my 2 cents!

(Becky) #23

Thank you for posting this, i just came accross it and can relate to how you are feeling…BUT i never would have attributed it to salt. Can this start having an impact even after several months of doing keto. Ive only recently started feeling kind of woozy, in fact at the dr now. ( for some reason i trust you guys more tho lol)

(Becky) #24

@Tux

Is the 2 tspn in addition to flavoring food or in total ( sorry if thats a silly question)

I believe the recommendation is a total of 2 teaspoons total per day. Sometimes more is needed early on while your body is learning. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

(Marianne) #26

Are you coming close/meeting your macros? I use them as a guidelines and don’t sweat if I am over or under (except for carbs - I try for <15), but I do find them helpful. I also track loosely so I have an idea of where I am at. Good luck.

(Britt) #27

I do generally know my macros for the day but I’m not super rigid about it except for carbs. I stay under 20 and many times more like 15 for the day. In the beginning I used a Keto Calculator which told me my macros calculated for losing weight at my then current weight. My fat and protein came in so low that I thought this could not be realistic when already keeping carbs below 20. So I decided I would try to keep my ratio but wasn’t going to count fat and protein grams. If I truly have to stay at 95g fat/57 protein/20 carbs I dont think I can maintain that long term. Maybe I will feel differently when fat adapted but right now I’m too hungry to stick with that.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #28

I also tried a calculator and it wasn’t for me. I keep the carbs below 20 and just eat when I’m hungry and enough that I don’t snack in between meals. I’m not hungry all of the time. Eat! Your appetite will change as you become fat adapted. You may find you are less hungry. I still get hungry and eat when I am but I don’t crave in between meals anymore and unbelievably I don’t desire night time snacks to be tired for bed anymore either. I’m just the same…all day…normal (a strange new feeling!)

(Bunny) #29

BTW: Those kind of berries are not even going to put a dent in your ketogenic diet!

Some people see this (1 brownie and 4 gusher candies) as the big no no, OMG I’m failing?

Your body told you to do it, because something is not right?

I do not think it is always a wise thing to ignore what my body is telling me (leptin is talking; don’t you dare starve me or your asking for a war?). I will go out to eat occasionally and just eat what I want and because of the way I eat all the time my body just burns up all that sugar like it’s nothing as soon as I eat it[1] because of the health reserve I built-up over the years. Being over vigilant about spiking (triggering) insulin[1] if I over-eat a carb or sugar is a thing of the past for me[1]!

I can sit their and eat an entire pizza by myself, eat donuts and candy, and be back in ketosis within hours or the next day, I experiment a lot and the more I see what is really going on with the ketosis and how my body is reacting to food the more amazed I am at what is possible?

This tells me if I want to go out to eat with friends family or just want to pig out occasionally, no problem, just do it? Because I have control over my choices, it’s not the food that is controlling me; it is my education about food that tells me what is a good thing to do and what is a bad thing to do?

I use to be clueless as to why I suddenly started getting fat, but I don’t get paranoid about eating carbs to the point where I make myself into a basket case…

The difference between me and a sugar burner is they are doing it all the time, I am not?

Footnotes:

[1] How Insulin Makes You Burn Carbs for Energy: “…Most people interested in health and nutrition know that insulin clears glucose from the blood into cells, but it is much less widely appreciated that insulin also makes you burn that glucose for energy. …”

Might check out this episode of the 2 Keto Dudes.

(Herb Martin) #31

According to Phinney, Keto flu is almost totally electrolyte/dehydration.

Carry bouillion cubes and drink water. Just cheapo boullion cubes and hot water.

I also drink PowerAid 0. NOT the type with sugar of course.

Finally, too much protein spikes blood sugar and stops ketosis – just not as easily as carbs.

MORE FAT. Most common mistake in pure carnivore diet (and to some extent on keto) is trying to reduce fat.

We continue the old diet advice to reduce fat and calories even though we know intellectually this is the wrong direction to go.

MCT powder is really good in heavy cream. Milk shakes that rival any I’ve ever had.

Cut a bit of protein, boost fat to satiety.

Get the keto sticks and test until you are purple and can stay purple.

Quick start with restricted eating and short extended fasts. Or a long one.

I did great on a carnivore to 14-day fast. 29 1/2 lbs. Not quite trivially easy but close.

Not sure if you’ve seen this but it’s worth the time.