Feeling bummed

(Karla Sykes) #1

Two years ago I discovered keto and I lost 50 lb. To my disbelief after going back to my old eating habits for about 6 months I’ve gained it all back. I’m so disappointed in myself so I’m back to square one. This time I’m going to use it as a lifestyle. I’m just going to have to make a modifications when I have desires for ice cream or chocolate. I can avoid carbohydrates all day but it’s the sugars that bother me. I can’t believe I’m back to square one. But today was my first day back on ketogenic diet after a while. Also I’m into the group

(Susan) #2

Welcome back Karla =).

We are all here to encourage you in your Keto journey, if you have any questions, just ask =).

I started Keto in February and I found that at the beginning Fat Bombs were a good help for me to transition off of the sugar, they might help you too. There are great recipes for some in the Recipe section of the forum. Good luck getting back on track! =).

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #3

This happens. Thanks for sharing your story, as it just might help me or someone else avoid doing the same thing. :hugs:

Welcome back, Carla!
Did you make a decision to go back to a regular diet, or was it a gradual increase of carbs and sugar? I fell off the horse last year myself due to a stressful situation. I blame the beer.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Welcome back! And good luck. I can really identify about the sugar. I find it helpful not to think that I’ve sworn off it for good, but rather that I’m just not going to have any right now. I can have all the glazed doughnuts I want tomorrow, just not today.

Just KCKO, you’ll be fine.

(Karla Sykes) #6

Thanks

(Jenny) #7

I’ve been there! But keto can definitely be a lifestyle and an awesome one. Dont look at is a failure. look at it as you are learning what you need to learn to lose the weight and feel good forever. you can do this! I dont go back to sugary/ carby food because it makes me feel icky :wink: lol!

(Karla Sykes) #8

Yes you are so right plus I’m pre-diabetic

(Karla Sykes) #9

It was a swell integration of carbohydrates and honestly I just wanted to fit in and be like everybody else and go out to the bars with my friends and eat finger foods

(April Harkness) #10

I tried and failed at keto 3 times before it stuck. And boy did it stick that 3rd time! Welcome back. I realized the 3rd time I also had to make it a lifestyle. There was no turning back for me.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #11

Welcome back Karla! Sometimes failing is the most important milestones in our lives. Now you know for sure that the keto WOE works for you and next time you go to the bar with your friends you’ll be more confident just drinking sparkling water and passing on the finger foods. You’ll be surprised how little your friends will even notice :heart_eyes_cat:

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Bone in, non breaded chicken wings with a glass of white wine is your friend in those situations. If you are really lucky the finger food menu will include bacon wrapped shrimp.

Remind yourself that you don’t want to cross over the line into full blown T2D. No friendship is worth that health risk. I know it is seems hard sometimes, but I am a bit of foodie still and I can just about go anywhere and find something that helps me stay under my carb limit.

Glad you made it back and all the best kicking that poundage to the curb for good.

(Marianne) #13

The thing to focus on is that you are back and it sounds like you know how to do it. I am not throwing stones, but for me, I just cannot have a little of this, enjoy a cheat day, indulge on special occasions. I am a serious food addict and it just reignites that compulsion so quickly that it is scary. I am afraid that if I go off, I won’t be able to predict for how long it will be or when I’ll be able to get back on. Many of us got here because the SAD, fast food, junk food, sweets all taste so good. They are very intoxicating and powerful with reawakening cravings and compulsive eating.

Welcome back!

(Karla Sykes) #14

Yes you’re so right. I just missed sweets and I sometimes think about him all day. Also I need to learn how to make some keto treats and keto bread when I think that would help me stay on this lifestyle

(Robert C) #15

Yes @Karla_Sykes - keep it as a lifestyle - going a little too far with your butter / MCT / collagen coffee, some fat bombs and some grassfed butter covered Keto “bread” will still save your weight loss and non-scale-victories in the future. Much better variances than “falling off the wagon” for half a year. If you have your blood numbers monitored - this will become very obvious.

Also don’t forget - “square one” is better than continued ignorance. “square one” is better than no plan at all. Finally, “square one” is much better than “I don’t care anymore”. You are not six feet under - put that off as long as you can but also, enjoy the time above ground.