Feeling a bit down

(Jodi) #22

I was drinking a lot of coffee before I quit, I had zero energy. I could drink a couple cups full octane and turn around and take a long nap…even after a full night of sleep.:flushed: I also took a lot of comfort in the ritual of it.

It was tougher to quit the ritual/comfort of it, I drank silver tea a lot the first few weeks.:blush: it took awhile for the energy to come back, I started ZC after I quit and that was a huge part of the healing obv.

Good luck with it if you decide to quit!

(Cathrine Helle) #23

I’m sure it was! I’m currently trying to work my way down to 3 cups a day, and then 2 and so on. That way I’ll hopefully avoid the dreaded headache :stuck_out_tongue:

(Sondra Rose) #24

Do you take D3?

I lived in Scotland and the PAC NW for over 20 years and was tested as very deficient.

Optimizing my Vitamin D3 level eliminated my asthma symptoms completely, even before I went ZC. Asthma is considered an autoimmune condition. I need to keep my blood level above 80 ng/ml; to do this I take 8000 IUs per day.

Before I started Keto, I drank coffee (Decaf) every day, year round. (I liked the taste and warmth) Usually 1/2 to full pot each day. But when I decided to start doing Keto, I wanted to go strictly water, so did for the first couple months. … I’m actually surprised I didn’t crave it more, but I actually didn’t? But I did use an Equal pack in each cup, along with Powdered Creamer, so maybe it was more that I didn’t want to do them? … So now, after 3-4 months in, I started drinking the occasional cup again, (Black) but also picked up some Instant, since I haven’t been making pots of it anymore. Maybe on a weekend I could make a pot and drink it over the 2 days.

I also drink plenty of water, so don’t thirst much at all. Just occasional dry mouth to which I sip more water. :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #26

I’m personally confused about allergies and food. One thing low carb has done for me is reduce seasonal allergies to near zero. At one time, I was taking 2 24-hour allergy pills per day. In the past several years, I think I’ve taken a total of three pills, one per year, and those I don’t think I had to take.

For food, though, it’s tougher. I’m not zero carb (though thinking of having an all-beef trial period of that), but I did a Whole 30 and after that found that hot sauce and hot peppers cause me instant allergy symptoms (sneezing, drippy nose, etc.). I had interpreted those as simply what happens when you eat these. So, now I eat them much less than I did before.

Some might argue that these types of foods cause “inflammation” and that is problematic. I tend to agree with that, as I think one of the reasons carnivory works is because it’s the ultimate elimination diet. You’re removing basically anything that can cause inflammation or other deleterious effects, particularly if you keep to a beef-only diet.

(Cathrine Helle) #27

I just wanted to do a little update on this. It’s been two weeks since my flare up. I had one treatment of steroids, and cut out dairy and eggs. I was practically healed three days later, which is insanely fast! My skin is still thin and brittle, but the inflammation was over in just a few days, baffled! I’ve sort of been waiting for it to flare up again, but it hasen’t :smiley:

So even though I can’t say I’m not autoimmune anymore, I’m definitely much, much better. Who knows, perhaps I’ll get there eventually :slight_smile:

That’s amazing, @Camomilla. Great news!

(Alex ) #29

@Camomilla

Sorry to hear you’re struggling with your skin, as sufferer of eczema and asthma myself (chronic when I was small child) I totally know where you’re coming from. We also have huge skin allergies throughout the family chain, and allergies in general, so totally get it.

In terms of the effect of keto on my skin, I think the jury is out - I always have steroid creams available for random flare ups, which are usually caused by (and then exacerbated with) contact with pets, stress, alcohol etc etc - but there’s absolutely no denying that the general “healthier living” makes my skin issues very easy to keep on top of. I’ve also grown out of a lot of it these days, for some reason the older I’ve got, the less its happened.

It’s horrible when you have an ailment which is on display, skin problems make you feel uneasy / unattractive too because everyone can see it when it’s bad!

Ive taken to hibernating from time to time when mine has been bad, but my day to day maintenance with emollients, diet, exercise and all the above keeps me in a good place.

Sorry, probably off track with the conversation, but thought I’d say a few words!

(Cathrine Helle) #30

So do I! It’s the only thing that helps - I always have a tube at home, or with me when I travel.

So sorry you’re struggling with this as well. I had asthma as a teenager, and after I had my second child, but not since. I also have som joint pain in one finger. Autoimmunity manifests itself in so many different ways, and I can’t help but feel that there is some commonality that should be the answer to why this is happening. Right now my best bet is my gut. If I can heal that and my condition is gone, then I’ll definitely know I’m on to something.

For the time being my gut is still not there yet, I still have some stiffness in my finger, and this recent flare up of eczema. Somehow I think it’s connected, but I can’t know for sure.

(Edith) #31

My brother has very bad psoriatic arthritis, especially the psoriasis part. It is also autoimmune. Stopping dairy helped him out tremendously.

I get terrible aching joints from dairy, and it makes me itch unbearably. Maybe you found part or all of your solution. :four_leaf_clover: Please keep updating.

There are huge links between gut permeability and AI
Also dairy and AI.

I know this. But it still doesn’t give me the kick up the backside to actually give the stuff up.

I take my hat off to you, @Camomilla you have achieved it, when I haven’t. :+1:

(Cathrine Helle) #33

We’ll see how I do over Christmas :joy: But honestly - I would really like to get through without straying from plan. The exeption being eggs, I think. We’ll see. Do you think you would benefit from quitting dairy? In what way? I know many people are fine with it, perhaps you’re one of the lucky ones? :slight_smile:

I am intolerant of whey. I think. I certainly have symptoms when I eat soft cheese, cow’s yoghurt and milk. Seem OK with cream, butter and hard cheeses. So i am selective. But i am sure I would do better without any cow dairy at all.

Seem OK with goat’s milk though. So far.

The Paleomedicina people say that we simply lack a long enough history of dairy to cope with it (gut permeability), and it does make sense. Something to do with the proteins triggering our autoimmune responses, because we just haven’t learned to not react. My sinuses are much clearer without dairy (not that they are ever blocked).

Trouble is, I have given up so much (hear those violins, in the background? :wink: ) giving up butter just seems like a bridge too far.

Edited to add:
I prefer to give a few references when I make vague statements like I did about the connections between AI, leaky gut and dairy. So I toddled off and googled. But there were so many,it makes more sense to suggest you google rather than I just pick out just a few of the studies.

I used ‘dairy autoimmune gut permeability’ as the search criteria.

(Cathrine Helle) #35

Thank you, I’ll have a look :cherry_blossom: