Fatty acid chain-type in mayo?

(Clair Angie Smith) #1

Hi, I am currently reading about the different effects of long chain vs short chain fatty acids on the keto diet, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the type of fatty acid chain that mayo is? (I have tried googling it, but perhaps my terminology isn’t quite up to google-scratch).

The nutritional info of the brand I use is as follows:
(per 100g)
cals: 734
protein: 1.1g
fat: 81.9g
- saturated: 6.4g
carbohydrate: 1.5g
- sugars: 1.2g
Sodium: 360mg

Any info would be very appreciated! Thanks
Clair

(Allie) #2

Ingredients?

(Clair Angie Smith) #3

vegetable oil, egg yolk (7%), vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, spices, acidity regulator (330), antioxidant (385)

:smile:

(Allie) #4

I’m sure the amounts will vary depending on what “vegetable” oil is used, could be anything tbh and not necessarily even of vegetable origin.

(Mandy) #5

I’m finding almost all mayo is made with canola or soybean oil. I have made my own or bought one from Costco that is made from avocado oil.

It’s this one but definitely cheaper at Costco.

https://www.amazon.com/Chosen-Foods-Avocado-Mayo-Ounce/dp/B01AYYF1NC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1487382444&sr=8-2&keywords=chosen+food+mayo&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=inthebeginnin-20&linkId=ce2d7a9a629b48c6950bd99767ecbdcd

I don’t know the fatty acid breakdown of “vegetable oil,” but whatever it is you don’t want it.