Fat rejection

(Mandy) #1

Hi yall.

I wonder if others could share how long it took their bodies to adjust to the influx of fats. Previous to this WOE I was a low fat sugar burner for the better part of 30 years. The fat going into my diet is having a not so nice effect on my digestion. Let’s just say I am pretty close to disaster pants after a meal. I’ve removed the fish oil supplements I was taking to make sure they were not the cause, as well as coconut oil (which was causing me horrendous heartburn) and MCT. This is a little concerning when thinking of having to leave the house…ha. It seem to be more centered around butter and cream than animals fats.

Thanks for reading.

edit: forgot to mention i am roughly 25 days in.

(Doug) #2

Mandy, after 3 months of keto things were better for me. It was not after meals, per se, but just that some fats were still present and undigested. A couple cups of coffee in the morning, and it wouldn’t be long…

I had my gallbladder removed three years ago, so I don’t have the same capacity to rapidly respond to a big influx of fats, but it was not a problem prior to keto. It’s still a factor sometimes, now, with ketogenic eating, but not a big deal.

(Mandy) #3

That’s an interesting point @OldDoug. I also do not have my gallbladder and never really thought it meant a lot. I suppose because before this WOE, I never had a huge influx of fat.

(Jo) #4

I would surmise it is the MCT. It is known to have a laxative effect. Are you taking any magnesium? That can also cause this.

(Mandy) #5

I removed the MCT a few days ago with no luck. unless it takes a few days to clear.

(Jo) #6

Might be. Perhaps your intestines got upset enough that they’re irritated and need to calm down. I had that with Xylitol, which I found out I could not tolerate and it took a week before that effect subsided.

(Ashley) #7

I’m assuming it’s to due with the increase of fats with your gallbladder. What you could do is try maybe 4-5 meals throughout the day instead of the 3, spread them out so less fat digestion.

(Bunny) #8

What I would do with the exception of other medical contradictions?

Could be eating a little too much fat when starting this new way of eating and giving the body enough time to adapt to it, heart burn is usually attributed to and alkaline environment (esophageal sphincter valve will not retract) of not enough stomach acid and zinc, and/or sister vitamins in diet to produce it?

I drink apple cider vinegar 1 TBS and Lemon Juice with raw ginger using a cheese grater, or digestive bitters to help stimulate the production of digestive pancreatic enzymes, HCL and bile production. I also put raw grated horse radish in my mix too!

Need more raw organic veggies to fat ratios and unprocessed organic extra virgin coconut MCT oils and un-processed fish oils like virgin cod liver oil to get real levels of DHA omega 3’s up (difficult to achieve unless your eating freshly caught or harvested marine life)! Leafy greens like kale to help promote bile production to digest the fats and to help liver clean itself!

1. Plant Fiber Adapted (fermented foods much easier to digest when starting out) or intestinal tract gut flora biome status. 1:1 ratio with e.g. with MCT oil intake!

2. Fat Adaption (1:1 ratio to plant fiber ingestion)

3. Thermal Adaption (leptin reset) to cold water CT or cold thermal genesis. Cooling upper body with ice water until you can merge entire body in ice water without shivering)

When we step on things in nature before they enter our body it confuses the processes that nature designed to extract those nutrients extreme accuracy, Mother Nature is nothing to mess with and will strike back with vengeance 3 fold X 6? I realize this (organic, extra virgin) may not be practical for everyone due to geographic location or finances etc. but if you can get organic grass fed and virgin stuff your doing your body a big favor and speeding up the process as anything that is refined or processed your body has to work much much harder to undo those processes if it can!

This is just my opinion and may you expand on it!

(karen) #9

I would point a finger squarely at your missing gallbladder. This article had a lot of info in it, although I don’t know anything about Dr. Eden. From what I gathered, your liver was probably dribbling enough bile into your system to handle a low fat diet, but the gallbladder gives squirts of bile that correspond to what you’re eating, which doesn’t happen for you any more, so I can see that a high fat meal could be an issue. - eta: I see the link says must have vegetarian supplement, but the article itself doesn’t focus on the supplements being vegetarian, it mentions non-veg options as well. As I said, I’m not sure about the science of the supplementation, personally I’d ignore the Liver Cleanse business entirely, but it does give a good overview of the biochemical processes in the body.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

You might want to check out Amy Burger. She just did a podcast on Daisy’s Keto Woman series. Also this was a bit of a game changer for me when I read it (I do not have issues with gallbladder but this applies to anyone.)

(Mandy) #11

@atomicspacebunny this is very good info. I do try to always get grassfed butter and meats, I have not found that in heavy cream but do buy organic versions.

@kib wow…I have never heard this before. I experience so many of these symptoms. Ox Bile, add to cart!! thank you!

@collaroygal just starting this podcast right now!

(Karl) #12

Yeah, what @OldDoug said. It took me about 3 months to finally get past that stage. Even still, there’s some old sage-like wisdom I once heard that I still value deeply: “Never trust a keto fart.”

BTW I’m a fellow RHL nerd, assuming rhl == redhat linux. I’m one of them old-timey UNIX folks who transitioned to whatever *nix job they could do :slight_smile:

(Mandy) #13

bahahaha…now thats some golden wisdom right there!

@IceNine hehe, I used to be quite a RHL nerd. The name has stuck with me but I have since moved on to mostly ubuntu in various different flavors, lubuntu on my laptops. the desktop ubuntu for all of my HTPC devices. I work with mostly CentOS. *nix is definitely my chosen platform!

Actually I wonder… This kind of person cannot eat much fat, so they are not suitable for me to, so they cannot even use keto to reverse diabetes…?

(CharleyD) #15

Once you get over the hard part of fat-adaptation, which usually implies you eat more fat than you used to, you get your body used to pulling from its own fat stores and don’t need to eat so much fat anymore.

Epigenetically, you are telling your DNA that ‘the hunt goes well, there is no need to store so much as fat.’ (Another implication, if the hunt is poor, you’re foraging for energy dense foods like starchy tubers that can’t run away)

I’m not sure what else can cure diabetes other than the keto/IF way. I’ve heard that everyone overeats their bariatric surgery if they continue to eat low-fat even though the enforced fasting that the surgery implements works at the beginning…

(Mandy) #16

It’s interesting you bring this up. Over the past few days, I have wondered (and been confused about) when you start to dial back the fat. Do you only do this when have become fully fat adapted? are we just waiting for our bodies to not be hungry to know when to scale back fat?

(CharleyD) #17

One school of thought is that it is best to eat as much as you can tolerate, another is that fat is a lever and the way to weight loss is to dial the fat on the plate down and you’ll pull more from your own stores to make up the difference.

I think it goes in a couple phases, the first of which you’ll notice was the first time you could go 24 hours without eating, without suffering.

The next phase if you do any usually glycolytic exercise, like a martial arts class, will be getting through that without nearly bonking. That took me about 9 months. I had to learn to breathe right/better (to keep heart rate down) (NOS3 gene expression), supplement salt tablets, go into it with coffee with MCT oil powder (less so in training, more so in events/performances), and not over-hydrate.

Depends on your hobbies I guess, and how well you want your body to function.

(Ashley) #18

Basically my understanding is when fat adapted you will naturally consume less fats. Only eat til full. My fat has dropped now that Im fully adapted. I didn’t adjust anything just ate til full.

(Raj Seth) #19

Indeed. You are just waiting for your body to upscale it’s fat burning (lipolysis) pathways to full body strength.
As you stay keto, your basal level of insulin will also be dropping. That will help lower your body’s set point. In the meantime, you have been eating fat to satiety, right? This has hopefully been providing the body a ton of energy to burn and it may also have started ratcheting up your BMR since energy was abundantly available.

When all these come together - the real keto magic show starts.
Your body has pumped up BMR. It can access fat, break it down, and almost the entire body can and burn the resulting fatty acids directly. Those cells that can’t, use ketones for energy (eg 80% of brain). For those stragglers that must have glucose (RBCs etc), the liver makes that from fat too. Fat is being used by everything.
If you are overweight or obese, then there is plenty of fat already in the house (I was as big as a house - so that really applied to me). Why should it clamor for a ton more? It doesn’t. It wants to go to a lower set point anyway. So your satiety signals kick in and you just don’t want to eat a gazillion lbs of fat at every meal. Your body now uses ingested protein and fat, in conjunction with internal protein (recycled) and fat to meet its needs. Your consumption goes to a lower level automatically.
For some, the satiety signals remain broken - maybe those people need to “watch” their intake. But for most - it’s natural and automatic. You can’t outthink your body’s millions of years of evolutionary genius.

It’s a process. It takes time.

KCKO