Fat problems

(Paul H) #41

This thread is a great read with a lot of good advise! Thank you all! When I have fasted I undoubtedly got the energy and mental clarity…was so obvious and wonderful. Avocado is a good fat.

Be careful with any type of energy drink. They will take the enamel off your teeth over time. Happened to my son. I think it’s a crime they’re allowed to sell this stuff without some kind of printed warning.

(PSackmann) #43

Thanks @Sharon_E, Powerade is an electrolyte drink, not energy. I very rarely drink even this, much less energy drinks.

Avocado oil mayo is a good fat as well, I make my own at home.

You’re right, I looked it up. Thanks for the clarification.

(shawn) #46

I initially had trouble digesting fat when I first started keto. Someone recommended NOW Super enzymes with each meal, and it really did help.

(Norm Murphy) #47

Thanks @shawnkuplin, in my research I’ve found others reccomend the same advice. I like the NOW brand products, I will give them a try.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

If you like avocadoes, they are a good source of fat. If you have to eliminate dairy, you can switch from butter to ghee (clarified butter), which is entirely fat, with no milk protein. Bacon fat, lard, and tallow can replace butter in cooking, if you don’t want to clarify your own butter and can’t find ghee in the stores. Bacon makes a great snack, and some people cook up great batches of it in the oven to have on hand.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #49

This is a great thread with lots of information. I thought I was eating too many grams of protein per day and I was struggling to get what I thought was enough fat. I’ll stop worrying about it and just track my carbs. Thanks everyone for a great read!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

Remember that the macro calculations are done on the basis of the percentage of total calories, not on the basis of weight, so given that fat contains over twice the amount of calories per gram that protein and carbohydrate do, it’s actually a lot easier to get enough fat than many people think at first. If you were to eat 100 g of protein and 100 g of fat (and no carbohydrate), you’d be getting 69% fat, even though by weight, the amounts are equal.