Fat causes insulin resistance

(MooBoom) #9

Oh come on, won’t someone take up the fight? I don’t know enough about the science.

And now the spud guy is throwing tooth charts at me as if it’s proof we should eat carbs.

I have to laugh, I made a fairly candid comment thinking I was responding to a friends shared post- didn’t realise I was commenting on the actual spud guys post. I called him a fucknuckle :joy::joy::joy:

(Mandy) #10

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

(MooBoom) #11

It’s not swearing if it’s got ‘nuckle’ on the end :rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Hit him with The Big Fat Surprise, by Nina Teicholz. Or Peter Attia’s TED talk. Or Robert Lustig’s lecture, “Sugar: The Bitter Truth,” of which there are many versions on YouTube.

(less is more, more or less) #13

<raises hand> Yes, as I was told it was how to lose weight, about a decade ago. Turns out it was all hooey but I was such a good listener. :wink:

(MooBoom) #14

The discussion in the comments on the post has gone to hilariously insane places. Cain and Abel, biblical references, do plants have feelings- most entertaining!

Love it when there’s no need to step in, the comments get crazy all of their own accord.

Oh- apparently eating a high carb diet cures diabetes too :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Ha. My mental health has been immensely better after leaving the cess pool that is FB.

From what I read over the years there is no complete understanding of the causes for insulin resistance.
Everyone agrees that refined carbs and eating too much are bad, but on a deeper level there are mechanism that science does not completely understand yet. For example read the synopsis for this paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26950361

Don’t get me wrong, I am on Keto and loving it and I feel by far better than my carb eating days…
But the human body is a very complex piece of machinery :slight_smile:

(Rob) #17

Very useful information … made note of that .
Thanks! :sunglasses:

(charlie3) #18

I watched the video, only a few seconds. I tried to listen to the veggie spokesmen to see what I could learn. They are shameless propagandists who care about some inscrutible political agenda that has nothing to do with my health. I think they are getting nasty because the science is not going their way. Another reason is they are fading away and they know it.

The real problem is almost everybody, excepting a few of us, is addicted to carbs. That colors judgement. Of course I didn’t notice when I was one of the addicts. It took a health scare and some dumb luck to get free of it. Now I see it all around me, where ever people are eating. You never see a plate of food that doesn’t have plenty of carbs on it. Telling someone they need to foresake all those carbs is not a welcome message. What keeps the topic alive in my world is how I look, unusually lean and with just enough muscle to prove I’m not emaciated by I’ll health. Things are getting a bit dicy at work on account of a few influential coworkers who wish I wasn’t an example of what they should be doing.

(less is more, more or less) #19

Yowza. Amen. It’s a tough monkey to knock off our back.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

My local supermarket has something like 16 aisles, and fully three-quarters of them are full of carbs in one form or another.

(Brian) #21

I suspect that’s a familiar story here.

I knew there was something wrong long before I had any kind of a solution. I kept trying to refine the direction I was already going (“good carbs”) and it just wasn’t working for me. I ate a lot of what I thought were really healthy carbs. (Thanks for the brainwashing, Dr. McDougall. UUGGHH!!!)

Never did have the heart attack or stroke but figure I was headed in that direction. Never did develop full T2D but was also headed in that direction, too. BMI was around 41 and climbing. HAD to do something or I wasn’t gonna be around much longer, I could feel it. Being at a point like that allowed me to wake up and explore possibilities I wouldn’t have previously… like maybe fat wasn’t the evil it was purported to be. And maybe vegetarianism or veganism wasn’t the ticket to being a healthy 120 year old. (Yes, I’ve heard people say such things.)

Anyway, glad to finally be finding some health again. And glad I wasn’t farther gone than I was. I know there was damage that will never heal. (Can’t grow back teeth, for instance.) But I’m feeling alive again, which means a whole lot!

(Alec) #22

Brian
I can so relate to that. Exactly what I felt. I got to 50, and a couple of people around me had heart attacks, and one of them died. It was tragic. Mum of 2, and she was a close work colleague. I said to myself “enough is enough”, things have to change, I have to lose this weight or I am going to die sooner rather than later.

12 months later, minus 35kg, feeling fantastic, running much quicker than before, and providing an example to quite a few people from all accounts.

(charlie3) #23

I’ve listened to many many presentations by keto researchers and have yet to notice any of them respond to the fat causes insulin resistance idea. I wish that would happen.

(Chris) #24

It’s funny. Fat only treats the symptom, because if you add carbs back in, the issues all come back.

Seems like it worked itself out in my case.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

I’m not a Facebooker, so Facebook won’t let me read the post, but I did manage to see that this guy mentions the movie “What the Health.” There is at least one thread on these forums about that film, and a number of major figures in the keto world have spent some time debunking it, with references to scientific studies. It is basically vegan propaganda that blames all the world’s ills on eating animals.

(less is more, more or less) #26

Perhaps this was already posted there, but it’s a fun (but serious) reaction to “What the Health."

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

Here’s @richard’s reaction, from one of the threads I was thinking about. If this link doesn’t take you right to his post, it’s number 36 in the thread. As usual with his posts, it is well worth a read.

(Adam Kirby) #28

Well there’s almost no protein in a potato, so you’ll have to cannibalize your own lean tissues for essential amino acids. Which is why the spud fit guy looked emaciated to me at the end of his experiment. If you’re going to do a mono diet it’d better be eggs or meat.