Fat adapted zone 2 heart rate?

(aircraftwelder) #1

So can the fat adapted person still burn fat if their heart rate is above the zone 2 (180 bpm - age)? Or is this zone 2 thing just for carb burners?

(Richard Morris) #2

If you are fat adapted and eating to satiety you are burning fat all the time.

Carb burners have to force their metabolism into an awkward place to force it to burn fat.

(Erin Macfarland ) #3

I posted my results here from my active metabolic assessment about a month ago. In zone 1 my substrate utilization was nearly 100% fat up to about 140 bpm then in zone 2 my fat utilization was still between 80 and 90%. Is that helpful?

(Adding a link to that topic -carolt)

(Crow T. Robot) #4

Vinnie Tortorich is a big proponent of zone 2 training for fat adapted people. According to him (I’m paraphrasing) it’s the best way to improve cardio capacity – even better than higher zones. It’s tough to go that “slow” (especially for guys) – you have to swallow your pride – but pretty soon you are going faster and the ultimate result is better than if you had trained harder. He’s got some podcasts on the subject.

(aircraftwelder) #5

Ya I was listening to him the other day, that’s what got me thinking.

(ianrobo) #7

Ok this is also about the Phil Maffetone method as well.

Just look at faster, that is the bible and it cleary shows fat butting for a well adapted athlete goes into z4 at least.

Z2 is great training if you are just going for long endurance, again depends on your aims.

By the way… I think I heard in a podcast (though don’t remember which one) a fat adapted person could use the number 200 minus age instead of 180 minus age that is normally used.

(ianrobo) #9

That would have been Peter Defty possibly on Primal Endurance with Brad Kearns … it is an area Peter differs from with phil M etc in a big way but I take a mixture of the two and add 10 to my zone

Yeah, sounds like something Defty could have said. Have started doing zone 2 running, just a couple of times though and on a treadmill because of all the ice in the trails making it a bit too challenging. I try to be around 150 bpm but it really is thus far a painfully slow pace I have to keep…

(ianrobo) #11

Do you think you are fully fat adapted as that is Peter’s whole point

Yes I would certainly believe so… Done keto 15 months. Just that I haven’t done much cardio for many years, mostly been doing HIT since about 6 months back when I started excersising more frequently…

(ianrobo) #13

Ok so as fat adapted Peter believes less stress at higher HR … well I did a 4 hour climb at average 162 with no issues … so imho you can do MAF and I would add 10 on to start with but lower to 5 as get fitter !

Yeah, planning on doing a trail run tomorrow in the morning as I think most snow and ice is gone now.

(ianrobo) #15

Do you use an app tonposte the stats here ? Regardless if running or cycling the principles are the same