Fat Adaptation Timeframe?

(Raquel ) #21

Do you do omad everyday?

(mole person) #22

Not anymore. I did OMAD almost every day for over a year while I was actively trying to lose weight. The only exception was if I had an unusually strong and relentless hunger early in the day. I learned the difference between a little ghrelin grumbling and real hunger and paid attention to that signal since being truly hungry all day just sucks.

Now that Iā€™m in maintenance, I often have a second meal once or twice a week both for the above reason or sometimes just to enjoy a lunch with my husband.

(Raquel ) #23

Really? Iā€™ve heard itā€™s not good to do everyday cause of the caloric deficit. That itā€™s too much. thatā€™s why I thought Iā€™d ask you since you did it. Did you do it once you were in ketosis? Or when you were fat adapted? And did you ever feel hungry?

(mole person) #24

Everyone whoā€™s losing weight on keto is in a calorie deficit. The difference between other diets and keto is that even though you ARE in a calorie deficit you are not hungry and can eat until fully satisfied at your mealtimes.

The lower you can get your insulin the more your body will dip into your fat stores for fuel. Shorter eating windows increase the amount of time in the day when youā€™re insulin is low.

It may, however, be beneficial to some people to change things up more. Higher calorie refeeding days can work very well as part of an overall plan. It may be that I was just doing that naturally. As I said, I ate a second meal on any day that my hunger felt ā€œrealā€. I also followed Fungā€™s advice. I didnā€™t snack. If I wasnā€™t hungry enough for a big meal I waited for my OMAD meal, otherwise I ate a decent sized full second meal.

I was fully fat adapted. I only started intermittent fasting once I fully stalled out on basic keto. I also started with a couple of weeks of 16:8 to train my fasting muscle a bit.

You always feel hunger initially whenever you stop eating at a time that you are used to. Itā€™s not
the same sort of raging and persistent hunger that you felt when you were carb fueled and before you were fat adapted however. This is what I referred to as ā€œghrelin grumblingā€ in the above post. The pangs are mild, transient, and easily ignored. The more you ignore these the less frequently they come until you start to go entire days without ever thinking about food. Most days now I never have a single hunger pang. Further, dinner time comes and Iā€™m still not hungry. I usually donā€™t even feel any hunger WHILE Iā€™m cooking, in spite of not having eaten in 24 hrs and having delicious smells filling the house. Itā€™s only when I actually start to eat that my appetite hits me and then I get to eat as much as I want. Itā€™s wonderful really.

Finally, as I said above, when it happens that I do get REALLY hungry (neither mild nor transient) I simply have a second meal and fully enjoy that meal with no guilt.

(Jim) #25

Steve, Iā€™m in similar position. Iā€™ve been at it a few weeks less than you and didnā€™t need dramatic results. For me, I feel like I started to see signs a few weeks ago (~6 weeks in). I sleep better, no longer get leg cramps, have more consistent energy, and easily get to meal times (noon and 6:00) without feeling hungry in between. I donā€™t think I could go days yet, but as has been said, itā€™s a continuum. The biggest single indicator to me is I donā€™t have any desire to cheat. I no longer crave the carbs. Again, this may not be the case for everyone. Do you monitor your ketones? I got a blood monitor and found I could easily go to 50g net carbs and remain solidly in ketosis (still around 3.0-3.5). Iā€™m new to this and donā€™t want to mislead but perhaps youā€™re overdoing it? Either way, I think youā€™ll get there and likely soon.

(Jody) #26

Yes, you have to find, through experimentation, what works for you. My fasting schedule fits my work, my schedule w/kids, my life.

(Steve Gibson) #27

Ketomojo has me at about 1.4 Ketones when fasted. I am usually right in that range if I stick to my 20 grams of carbs for the day. I never get to the 2+ range even on a 36 hour fast. Skipping breakfast or having MCT coffee seems to be the sweetspot for me. Fairly easy and yet productive.

(Kara) #28

I am five weeks in and have done two three day fasts two 36 hour fasts and mostly eating OMAD with little hunger but still not feeling endless energy so probably not fat adapted- my ketones are good 3.5 yesterday, my Blood pressure has come down a lot my trousers a lot looser but I am feeling really tired and weak do you think I might not have been eating enough on eating days?

(Susan) #29

How many calories are you eating on your Eating days, Kara? I would aim for about 1800 on eating days, that is what I try to aim for (what my cronometer.com app suggests for me).

It sounds like you are doing great with your blood pressure down and your pants being baggy =) both awesome things.

I found myself that Electrolytes were very important, getting enough salt --so that can really contribute to feeling tired and lethargic as well.

Best wishes with your continuing Keto =).

(Kara) #30

Ahh thanks for that encouragement! I have upped my calories to about 1900on an eating day. Last week I was on about 1300 on an eating day so I guess I was being too obsessive! I was going to fast again today but felt so weak and hungry that I ate and actually I feel better. It is amazing how much salt I am taking - that salt is bad for you myth takes some undoing! Anyway thanks again for the encouragement hope you are doing well this week.

(Susan) #31

That is terrific, Kara, I wish you all the best =).