Fasting - what with electrolytes?

Hello,
I have a big problem. I get always sleepy after eating. (90g proteins, 30g carbs, 240g fat). All what i know is that i have reactive hypoglycemia( i though keto would help)
I see only one rescue for me, fasting to the end of the day.
What with electrolites?
Have i take salt during fasting to feel good? How do you do it guys?

(Allie) #2

Just put a small amount on or under your tongue to dissolve whenever you feel the need.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

I prefer to use this recipe - KetoAide homemade
I’ve never had an issue with electrolyte imbalance or keto flu

Keto should definitely help, but it takes some time to heal your metabolism and improve insulin sensitivity. How long have you been Keto?

Yes to salt for fasting. Like Katie [sorry, meant Allie!], I put some under my tongue and just let it dissolve slowly.

(Dave) #6

How long does it take for your insulin receptors to recover using a ketogenic diet?

This depends on so many things! Your starting metabolic health, your age, your genetics…
blood sugar regulation generally happens relatively quickly (folks see average blood glucose drop pretty dramatically within a few months) but regaining full insulin sensitivity can take longer.
If you give more information on your background and how long you’ve been keto, we can probably give you more specific guidance.

(Dave) #8

Hi Madeleine, I wish I had some recent bloods to put up but I can say this: I am 54, about 3 weeks into the ketogenic lifestyle and two months low carb. I have noticable belly fat but at 84kg am not particularly overweight. I’ve lost 6kg on low carb and keto.
I suffer from hypoglycemia after every meal, big or small, giving me brain fog and fatigue - that’s what I hope to remedy with a high fat low carb diet.
This week I’m restricting calories for 5 days to see I’d that can push me fully into a ketogenic state - I don’t test for ketones yet but I am counting carbs and stay under 25gms of carbs each day.

(Kristen Ann) #9

I’ve figured out that if I eat over 35-40g of protein per meal I get sleepy about an hour afterwards.

(Bob M) #10

It may not be your insulin, it may be your glucagon (the mirror to insulin). I have eaten 200+ grams of protein in a single meal and do not get sleepy. But that’s because my glucagon counteracts the insulin rise. If your glucagon does not, then you have too high of an insulin level, meaning that your blood sugar goes into your fat cells, leading to lowered blood sugar.

Is anyone here actually taking their blood sugar to quantify this?